Thread: Custom binding router

I routed the binding channel on my first two mandolins using a dremel and stewmac's edge guide attachment and it worked ok. It seems that a lot of builders rout the binding channel using a table router set up. It also seems like the table method would be more accurate than holding the mandolin between your knees and attempting to tame 3 axis and 2 objects at once if you know what I mean. I thought I'd come up with my own contraption (below). Do you think it will work? For those of you with table routing experience, what should I keep in mind

Thanks,
    Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm_router_1.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	25152  

If that's a dremel tool, I found that It won't last running upside down. All the chips fall into the router and ruin it in short order. I epoxied the Stew mac unit into my bench and screwed a Porter-Cable laminate trimmer on the underside. Works great.

Hmmmm. Never thought of that... Maybe I could get the shopvac the catch most of the shavings?

Personally, I would rather control the tool, especially a Dremel. I clamp the body in a padded vise and ease the Dremel into the wood, routing the channel over several passes. I think your setup would work, but if you try to remove too much wood, or go the wrong direction, the Dremel can grab the mando from your hands and throw it across the room. Don't ask me how I know that. A friend of mine made a device that floats a laminate trimmer above the instrument using bushing spacers, and it works very well. I think StewMac has them, but you could easily make it yourself.
    Mark Franzke
    Franzke String Instruments
    www.mfstrings.com