Thread: Nuts in atlanta

My Gibson A9's nut has chipped and is now unplayable. Questions:

1) Does the repair have to be done in Nashville, or can it be done by an authorized Gibson dealer?

2) Is there an authorized Gibson dealer in Atlanta?

3) Would it be worth my while to upgrade to bone or pearl while this repair is being done.

4) I'm the original owner - is this covered by warranty?

Thanks for any input.
    She was only a whiskey maker, but he loved her still.

While I no longer work for Gibson, the information will be the same. First, it is not a warranty issue. Damage like that is not likely due to faulty material or workmanship. Second, there are not authorized repair facilities in the Altanta area that you would want to take your mandolin to for repair. I don't know if there are any guitar repair facilities, but guitar repair people may not know or understant the difference from a mandolin and a guitar. Third, it is worth upgrading to a bone or pearl nut. You can chose what you like, but I would normally recommend a bone nut for the A9. While any competent repair peson can do the repair, you would be hard pressed to find a better shop than the repair shop in Opry Mills. They are not that far, and they have more experience repairing mandolins than any other shop in the USA.

That being said, there are a number of good luthiers on the cafe that would do a good job also. While the nut is being installed it is a good time to have the instrument professionally set up. That is also worth the expense while it is in repair.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Try John at the International School of Luthiers, his sign says Gibson Repair. They are in Snellville and have done work on both my Gibson mandolin and guitar. Excellent work. I also saw an old flatiron F5 that they were working on. A friend of mine had his Gibson Granada banjo worked on there and it is awesome. Certainly, Opry Mills would be first choice, but these Snellville guys do a great job.

i'd suggest going with the upgrade as well. research sonic differences here between the two or ask for opinion on that specfically. i'd also find someone good local to get the setup done. i wouldn't want to have to ship it back and forth unless it was something major. beyond the added expense, i like making sure the mando is setup is correctly for me (not the luthier) when i pick it up.i i also like being able to give direct input to the luthier when i am present as often the best setups come from a little back and forth at the shop.

www.bigdrawbluegrass.com

Voight A-5
    Bayard GBOM