Thread: Lacquer vs. varnish

I'm looking to purchase a quality 'A' as my back-up. The two that I'm deliderating between I've played but can't remember, anyway one lacquer the other varnish same maker. Please let me know your thoughts on sound differance. I generally feel that it's there and the varnish is sweeter but am I letting myself get confused here?
    PJ
    Stanley V5

Heck, there's a thread that luthiers insist that the type of spruce is irrelevant. How could the finish make that big of an effect. FWIW, I varnished my first F5 build. My Daleys have a satin lacquer finish. Sim says he can apply it thinner since you don't have to buff it out to perfection. I've thought of hand buffing them out to look like traditional varnish finished mandolins. If the price were the same, I'd go with varnish just because it may sound more like no finish at all and it will likely age with more patina and I like a well used looking instrument. I can't stand a shiny new looking mandolin. It ain't right.
    Rick in Memphis

Man, I'm stayin' away from this one!

"Heck, there's a thread that luthiers insist that the type of spruce is irrelevant."

That is not accurate.

"Please let me know your thoughts on sound differance."

If you can play both, side by side, pick the one which sounds the best. Its easy!

I agree, play both, do an A/B test. Personally I like the sound of my varnished instrument better than the lacquered version of the same instrument that I tried, but that's just me.
    Jason

"Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know that so it goes on flying anyway."

Newell A5 #37, Glenn F5 #66, Eastman 615 #537,

I did play both but it was a month ago and I spent more time with an F varnish because I was evaluating that at the time. I should have not started this because to me I generally prefer varnish, tonally. I just like the color finish better on the lacquer so I was trying to justify going with a lacquer so I must apologize for dragging the entire Cafe into my disease (MAS).
    PJ
    Stanley V5

Oh come on Hans! Don't you want to wade into this area again? The sharks are near....

Seriously, PJ, if you want many opinions on this issue, just do a search over in the builders' section and you'll find a wealth of discussion and disagreement and agreement. It will leave you with as many questions as when you started. But it's interesting.

I searched the 'looking for information about mandolins' section and didn't think to look in the builders. I guess I'll look but I'm a little scared.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

I'll stay out of threads if my opinions and joshing are poisonous. #I think that opposing views can be entertaining AND informative. #Please consider any remarks that I make as being serious but with a side of snide humour. #I won't go into this further. #I think the type of finish can make a difference but oh so subtle. #That is if both finishes are applied correctly and appropriately for the instrument. #I think varnish does and should sound better, but maybe just because it's usually on the better instruments. #Why did I put it on the Stew-Mac F5 kit that I made? #One, it was easy to apply without a sprayer. #Two, I wanted an old looking 'distressed' mandolin. #Three, and most important, I figured it would need all the tonal help it could get. #I used hide glue for the same reason. #Who knows what my mandolins would sound like with the other finish on them (varnish for lacquer or lacquer for varnish)? #I'll never know. #But I like varnish even if it is more prone to signs of abuse.:p

I'm not willing to pay an extra $1500 or 2000 for varnish, however.

Rick in Memphis

OK Dale...no finish sounds the best!!! Oh, yea, just my personal opinion. #

I think Hans mandolins sound best with Varnish...or lacquer....or no finish. They are all great if built properly and tone is a personal thing. You may not hear the difference and it may not be worth the upcharge for good varnish. Some of us have a penchant for varnish and we could never be happy with lacquer. Try them and decide for yourself. It is, after all, your money and our opinion should not outweigh your ear on this one.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

i've owned both, i don't think there's a noticeable difference

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

What about other finishes? Shellac, Krylon blended with mineral spirits, innovative stuff? I'm really curious - not just making light of the initial post. . . .

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Fingernail polish? Hairspray? Creosote?

Professional Dilletante Rick Banuelos's Avatar

Right now, the experiment is Tung Oil...
    Rick Banuelos

Burien, WA

2002 Mario Proulx OM/D
    2009 Weber Custom A

Blog Entries

Fatt-Dad, What about Thile hair gel?
    Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

Varnish is a lot easier to spell than lackqueur.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Gold leaf? I mean it holds up on other wood (er, paper), eh?

fatt should-I-start-a-thread-on-which-binding-sounds-better-too dad
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I think, and it's only my opinion,that if you don't have any "history" to go by, and you're looking for the mando that sounds the best to you today, go for the one that sounds the best today, regardless of finish, especially if you're not keeping the mando for a long time. Why? Because unless you're going for the long haul, you'll find that either mando will change and develop over time. With a newer instrument, you might like it today but 2 years hence you might feel different...Long haul, a varnish mando will develop differently than a laquer mando (reference Loars vs, post Loar mandos...1922-1924 vs. 1925 and beyond). Once you see that difference, and you figure what you like,you'll have a better handle on the matter. What sounds better? That's what makes hoarse races. What's better, vanilla...chocolate....
    Tony Szczygielski

Mine are mostly covered in beer now.

Dave H
    Gibson A 1917
    Paul Shippey oval hole 2001
    Eastman 615 2005
    Flatiron 2K 1981

Georgetown Indiana, Across the creek from Louisville KY.

Varnish smells better!
    Poe#5, Neely#72, Kentucky KM 150 (The Bagram Beater)
    http://WWW.myspace.com/easternskybluegrass
    http://www.myspace.com/darrintissandier