Thread: Where do you buy headstock veneer?

Blog Entries

Never having bought any veneer for a mandolin headstock before I was surprised to note that the standard size for these pieces (from several of the major luthier suppliers) is typically 3.5 to 3.75 inches wide and around 7.5 to 8 inches long -- the thickness is all over the map from 0.09 to 0.25 inches.

I was wondering what all the F-style mandolin makers do as the maximum width of a typical headstock at the top is about 3.8 to 3.9 inches. (using the Siminoff blueprints and also measuring off my own instruments).

Do you just count on the piece being a tad oversized from the advertized specs? #Or is are there other less known options for procurements?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I get them from LMI (lmii.com). They have some that are extra wide. I actually like the 2nd grade ebony, because they have some light streaks that give it some character. I usually buy a variety of wood types and end up with different widths, so I save the widest ones for F styles.
    Mark Franzke
    Franzke String Instruments
    www.mfstrings.com

I ended up buying a big ebony board from "Rockler" and cut my own on a band saw and thickness it with a drumb sander. I get a lot out of one board and also use it for other parts. It ends up being cheaper that way but you have to pay a lot for the ebony up front and maybe hunt several wood suppliers for the right width board. Several guys that work at Rockler build guitars and they say they use the smaller pieces and book match them for the wider width, but I don't do that on mandos.
    Bill P.
    I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the suggestions.

After I posted the question on the Cafe board I sent a note to Stew-Mac about veneer sizes and later got this reply that might be of some interest to all:

Bernie,
    # #Thank you for contacting us. While the description lists the overlays as being 3-3/4" wide, they usually are oversized. You can certainly have us special pick you one, but all pieces in the bin right now are over 4", so you should be fine.
    Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Best regards,

Mike McGovern
    Stewart MacDonald
    1-800-848-2273
    www.stewmac.com

So just ask I guess. #Stew-Mac is always on the ball.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Violins and Mandolins Stephanie Reiser's Avatar

I called Stew-Mac re this very issue, the width of their F-model, 4x8, Ebony venner, and the young lad had to check with someone who said it was 3 3/4". Bummer. So I bought some recently from Roger Siminoff which is around 4 1/8".
    http://www.stephaniereiser.com then click mandolins

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by
    Amanda Lyn: I called Stew-Mac re this very issue, the width of their F-model, 4x8, Ebony venner, and the young lad had to check with someone who said it was 3 3/4".
    Interesting Amanda! #That is exactly the same answer I got over the phone when I first called -- I had the distinct impression that the person just laid the phone down then picked it up again and did not actually check a thing. #I asked him are they all the same or is there some variation in width -- answer I don't know -- but hadn't he just checked? #Oh well --was it the same young man?.

That is why I sent the email. #In the email I also ask them to consider a specification change on this item because of the F-style mandolin headstock requirement.

My question for them was if you sell an F-style mandolin kit would it not be a good idea to support it? #Answer. #I guess so.
    Bernie
    ____

Buy peghead veneer? I usually so much offcut and other interesting scrap material I can't imagine having to buy a peghead veneeer. But then again, I like burls and curls and other interesting figure for peg heads. Don't think I could come up with any ebony big enough to to the job though if someone asked. Then I might just have to go shopping.

Greg N
    An artist has to deal with his own inner demons.
    A craftsman has to deal with his clients.

I buy boards from Rockler and resaw also, but beware of cracks in the boards. Ebony is very sensitive to humidity change. Check very carefully for cracks and checks.

Does anyone here routinely stain pearwood and laminate with holly (IIRC)?

"No point in thinking outside the box until you know what's IN the box. . ." #Frank Ford

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by
    Hans: I buy boards from Rockler and resaw also, but beware of cracks in the boards. Ebony is very sensitive to humidity change. Check very carefully for cracks and checks.
    Great tip! #Thanks. #I just now created a Rockler account and got everything I needed and at a very economical price!
    Bernie
    ____

Don't forget to take into consideration that you will be binding the peghead. Usually if you position the overlay just right you can get away with one just under 4 inches.

BTW I saw one of Hans' stealth mandos at the Minnesota Bluegrass Association kick off this weekend. That is one sweet instrument. Good job Hans!
    Our Life Has Gone To Shed
    [url="https://www.instagram.com/ourlifehasgonetoshed/[/url]