Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best f style mandolin under $500?

Thumbs up

I know it's been asked a million times and I've read countless threads on beginner Mandolins but what do you suggest for under $500? I'm wanting an F style Mandolin with the F holes. I'm leaning towards a Kentucky or MK. I'm not to sure, I need some suggestions guys.

Thanks

Rather than just telling you to search, I'll thrown in my basic impressions from reading all those threads:
    I hear of more that seem happy with their Kentuckys than MKs. My only impression of MK is based on only one encounter and that one had some serious fit and finish issues. I have felt better about Kentuckys I have played. Look for the thread on Fullerton mandos. They are something like $200 and the one I played sounded pretty decent after a home setup. Fit and finish wasn't bad at all either.
    Andrew Lewis
    Collings MT2, Tone Gard, Tortis Style C heavy, bootlace strap, J74s

Blog Entries

Used Eastman 515. Ideally one that has been Voodooed by Stephen Perry from Gianna Violins. There may not be much difference between the MK and Kentucky at that price range tonally. Your choices may be aesthetic. The Eastman will be handcarved and have a thinner finish. Just my 2Cents that are Eastman biased. I've only played the KM140S from the Kentucky line.

I also think you'll get more mando and better tone from a used A style than paying alot more for the curly block of wood.

Jamie

edit: due to close posting... If you look at the Fullertons, look fast. They aren't available much longer they are a close out. People really seem to like them, esp. for the price.

Fullerton thread

When I just searched Fullerton on Music123.com there were no mandos...

There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Thanks for the comments so far.

I'm kind of weary about buying anything used off the internet. The music shops here are kind of limited also. I still have one more to go check out and see what they got, but so far it has just been cheaper Indianas which I have never heard or read anything about. How much is it to get Mandovodoo? I've read that a cheaper Mandolin like I'm looking for is going to require a lot of setup and would probably have to add that setup into the overall price of the Mandolin.

I have a MK Legacy that I have updated with the MK solid tailpiece and had a new ebony bridge put on, #I am very pleased with this mando,
    Ramon

Collings MF #620
    Michael Kelley LFS

So I've been checking out some of the Eastman Mandolins but they seem a little too pricey for a beginner like me. I would hate to dish out $500+ on something that I may not like or never learn to play. I'm just looking for something to learn how to play on but it has to be an F style and reasonably decent. $500 max I'm too poor for a nice one.

Used Eastman. Best bet.
    NoNickel

Duff F5 #196/15
    Plays the "Irv Pearman" Signature Set

All misspellings intentional. Even thsi one.

save a couple hundred more and get yourself a JBovier. I own an Eastman as well but it's not getting any play time since I bought the JBovier. This thing is just s-w-e-e-t!
    Jason

Lefty JBovier F5 Tradition, Lefty Mid-Mo M1

There is no reason to be leery of buying used off the internet, as long as you take some precautions. For example, buying on eBay and using PayPal gives you a lot of leverage and a lot of support if there is a problem. Buying from a Mandolin Cafe member through the cafe classifieds is generally very safe. Not guaranteed, but the feedback I've seen has been generally positive. For $500.00 you might even get a trial period. Every mandolin I ever bought, including three used ones, have been off the internet. I have yet to be burned.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Blog Entries

If you're taking up the mandolin just to see if you like it, I would recomend a new Kentucky KM140S (about $200) A style F holes. The scroll isn't going to add or subtract anything from the tone.

In our very own classifieds right now there is an Eastman 605 (mid line A style) for $525 shipped and insured. No financial interest for me but that's a good price on a good mandolin. This instrument could take you through intermediate playing or more. Since you would be buying used if you decide you don't like it you will loose at most another $50 bucks on resale (if that). If you buy a new X brand F style and don't like it, you'll lose 100-200 on the resale. You can always ask the seller if there is a 48 hour approval period (this is a reasonable request) to ensure you like the way the mando fits you.

There are plenty of bluegrassers who play A style instruments. And Lloyd had to make a ton of F5s but made only one perfect A style...

Now you have 2¢ too many from me!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

If you want the sound but do not want to invest the $ then go for an A.
    You will have a better selection of a nice A instruments under $500.
    Who 'told' to get an F?

No one told me to get an F style.

F style is my personal preference. Too be honest I wasn't even considering buying an A style, though thats just me.

I appreciate all the comments so far. I think Eastman might be too big of an investment. I have been looking around the classifieds here for some used instruments. HOW bad are the Kentucky KM630s? Or maybe even a cheaper one that that. Anyone have any experience with it?

i would bet money that one of the Kentucky A-styles that go for half the of the KM630 would be a better choice. at least with an A-style Kentucky you would get all solid wood. its better to have a mandolin that looks good than sounds good. if you have to get an F style a J. Bovier or Eastman can be had for around $100 more than your current budget.
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

I have not seen an Eastman F style yet for $600. If you don't mind could you please post me a link or point me in the right direction?

You probably won't see one at that price. I'd say that the best you'll do on a used 515 is around $700, but probably more like $750.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

i bought my 515 for $600 off ebay. the mandolin store has had quite a few for $599 and $649, so they are out there. they mid-$600's seems to be the norm that I have seen for them used.
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

I did not know that. The price went up new, and I sold one over a year ago for $700.00, so I figured they were higher.

I have a very nice MK Elegante in the class. it is a heck of a mandolin. the only kentuckys I have seen and played I would not spend my money on.sound was okay but fit and finish was very not good.
    the same MK at an online dealer is listed a bit higher.look around and buy the mandolin you want. the only caution I would say is the cheaper you buy at first the harder it is to get rid of,and the less you could get back.
    kirk

Doesn't Gianna have some Eastman 515 seconds in stock? I am sure he could hook you up.
    Jason

Tony Bare

For $500 you can get a laminate top "f" that sounds and plays badly or you can get an"a" style with at least a solid, carved top. Lets see--- laminate top, poor tone and volume and a pretty scroll that adds nothing but a place to put a strap. Or an "a" with a carved solid top and better wood that gets better with time, good tone and volume and better playability. For my $500 I would rather have something to play than something that looks fancy and plays and sounds like dung. You asked and received good advice and information. It's your money.
    Tony Bare

There are plenty of solid top F's in that range, new and used. You just have to look. Rover RM75 and Kentucky KM630 come to mind but there are others. There are KM630s on eBay for $430 with a hard case and free delivery. Spend the rest on a good setup and some picks and a strap, and you're set to go.

Check the classifieds on this site. #Click on "New Instruments." #Gianna DOES have Eastman 515 seconds in stock, and I bet he'll pick you a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by (barney94 @ May 30 2007, 11:08)
    Check the classifieds on this site. #Click on "New Instruments." #Gianna DOES have Eastman 515 seconds in stock, and I bet he'll pick you a winner.
    I should get a commission!
    Jason

The problem you're going to have with buying a low-end scroll is that the resale "may" suck if you don't want to hang on to it. From what I've seen, you can resale a sub-$500 solid-top, A-style mandolin for about what you paid for it, but a laminate top and/or back-and-sides model is gonna be a harder sale.

If you want a cheap F-style then buy it used. Get cheap Rover or Kentucky on eBay.

Thanks for all the replies!

This many people couldn't be wrong so I believe I am going to go through Gianna and get me an Eastman MD515.

Even if I never learn to play this damned thing It will always look nice or resell.

Thanks again guys