Thread: How to adjust pitch of frettet notes

While this question (for me) isn't related to a mandolin, (its a cheap, poorly setup acoustic bass guitar I got) I think the answer could help others who may be experiences similar problems with mandolins.

On my instrument, I can get it in tune, and then when I fret notes near the nut, some play very sharp (15 - 20 cents on a cheap tuner) Are their any modifications, nut, bridge, truss rod etc I should consider to help with this?

Thanks

F-style Apostate

My guess on this is that the nut is very high, and that fretting near the nut is pulling the strings sharp. A high nut is hard to fret at the 1st fret also.

Basically, the slots in the nut should be cut deep enough to hold the strings at the same height (approximately) from the finger board as noting the string at the first or second fret does, measuring just adjacent to the nut (or fret).

If you have trouble with the concept, get thee to a luthier; if not, get a set of nut files and take care of it yourself.

Frank Ford's article on the Frets site has good instruction on setting nut slot depth here:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPa....t1.html

You're not going to make a new nut- just jump to the part about cutting the slots. Works the same on a mandolin as on a guitar.

Rick

F-style Apostate

Forgot (as usual) to mention that the action and truss rod should be in correct adjustment before fooling around with the nut.

Rick