Thread: Steam powered aeroplane tips

My band plays an instrumental version of this tune....and i'm looking for a melody or tips for a mando player trying to play over a dobro, banjo, and fiddle. I guess a subtopic of this post would be, does anyone have any tips, tricks, or licks that make a mandolin sound really loud. Thanks ya'll!

As obvious as this may sound(forgive me),it may help to make sure that only one of the three instruments you mentioned is playing offbeat chops. If the dobro does that, the banjo rolls, and the fiddle plays long tones, you should be able to sail along on top. If they all "chord" at once, it will seem more like a freight train than an aereoplane...

It's fair game in a band to ask cats to lay out too, or to play softer, or otherwise coordinate their backup parts so you can hear yourself think...

Another approach might be to play a chorus or two with just the bass player, then add the other cats and let things build.

Be glad you're not the guitar player. It's even harder to cut through the louder and higher range instruments!

What a great tune, a bluegrass tune with a two minor chord in it!John Hartford and The Newgrass Revival--a great combination of talents. Hope you're checking out Skippin' in the Mississippi Dew and Vamp in the Middle too.Great stuff.