Thread: Another New Member Intro

Smile Another New Member Intro

Hi Folks- I have already been "lurking and learning" in the background for a while so I feel like I already owe the Forum a lot!
    Brief bio- I played the guitar rabidly for a long time altho not in recent years, and was facing a 6-week recovery from surgery which promised to be trying on a lot of levels (knee replacement) so I decided to get a mandolin, which had been in the back of my mind for a while, and teach myself to play. Being what I would describe as an advanced amateur guitar player, this felt like a reasonable and fun challenge. I listened to advice on this forum and wound up with an Eastman MD 315.
    I wish I had done this years ago! What a lot of fun, and what a wonderful instrument. Even at my age (69) I think I can enjoy it for a long time to come.
    So- thanks for what I have already learned from you guys, and thanks in advance for what I am sure I will learn in the future!

2. The following members say thank you to huntryx for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Another New Member Intro

Welcome! I don't know of a better site for all things mandolin.

4. The following members say thank you to Bill Baldridge for this post:

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place for everything Mandolin, I'm a total beginner so you may well be ahead of me with your guitar skills.

6. The following members say thank you to Purdy Bear for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Family. Many of us started out on guitar. Being tuned in fifths and not having a "B" string is a real boon to picking up a mandolin. Enjoy the journey. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

8. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Welcome to the Cafe huntryx!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Blog Entries

I join the rest in welcoming you. The forum is a lot of fun, and a great place to learn. I know it has been a great help to me. I like your choice of the Eastman F-style. Good call!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Welcome fellow newbie! I also just joined the forum. I'm also hunting for my first mandolin. Every time I think I settle on one, I second guess myself. I just need to jump in and start playing... I was toying with the MD 304. Did you happen to try that against the MD 315?

Welcome huntryx,
    I have had both my knees replaced, last one was in October. My wife had both of hers done this year, last one 4 weeks ago. Stick with the PT and you will heal quickly. Good luck with the mando.

13. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

Blog Entries

madmag, I would say both are a great choice to begin with, and which one is based on your taste. I haven't played either, but I have experienced several similar instruments in both cases. The 304 has a resonant warm sound due to the oval hole, but less volume. The 315 is going to be more traditional with the F holes and the bigger, brighter bark. The all around choice to start on would be the 315, but you wouldn't go wrong with either. The quality for the price is very well documented in the MC!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

15. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

madmag 

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Welcome to the Cafe, where good folks who play the mandolin gather.
    My mother had both knees replaced (now 88 years young) and as long as you do those exercises you'll be right as rain.
    it's simply amazing how routine this procedure has become, and how successful the outcomes usually are.
    Good luck and enjoy your Eastman.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

17. The following members say thank you to Bill Clements for this post:

Well, I got to the 315 via the 305, which I bought first. I find the F style a bit easier to hold due to the shape, and the sound is, to my "newbie" ear, a little brighter. Don't know about the round-hole 304 or 314. I like the look of these better so it was a starting point for me. PS I'm probably late to the party, but I am listening to Butch Baldassari & David Schnaufer's CD Appalachian Mandolin & Dulcimer which is totally wonderful.

19. The following members say thank you to huntryx for this post:

madmag