Thread: Mandolin tuning

So, i just got a peterson stroboflip tuner which is great. #I was having trouble getting the strings to be perfectly in unison, and this tuner solved that problem. #Now i have a new problem. #I have tried various "sweetened" tunings offered as presets on the peterson, as well as non tempered tuning, and open position chords still sound harsh tuning wise. #Do you guys use "sweetened" tunings or just straight line the tuner arrow up at 440? #On guitar i use slightly sweetened tunings and it makes most chords sound a lot better, and before i sit here spending hours... well i should say *more* hours #trying to figure out a sweetened tuning i figured i'd ask you guys if you had any.
    Thanks for any help

The Peterson "sweetened" guitar tunings are designed to address the peculiarities of guitars (e.g., tuned in fourths with a third between the G and B, scale length on the order of 25"). #There is no reason to believe that those guitar-sweetened tunings would work for a mando.

I'm sure you could "tweak" your mando tunings until they sounded pleasant to your ears, though a fifths-tuned instrument like a mando "should" automatically do that (at least according to music theory -- if not necessarily according to the physical characteristics of a real-world mando!). #

If I recall correctly, the Peterson allows you to save a number of user-defined tunings.

Have you contacted Peterson to see if they have any suggestions?

I'm not aware of anybody who has posted suggested "tweaks" for mando tunings. #Anyone?

EdSherry

Yea i know that some of the perterson tunings are specifically for guitar, but it also has tunings to "sweeten" various other instruments. I tried the "violin" tuning which gives beatless fifths, and it still didn't sound perfect to my ears. #I read the peterson forum and one of their staff says they have not develeoped a mando sweetenened tuning, and said some were using the violin, some used guitar, and some used the equal temperament tuning.

I think Norman Blake discusses "tweaking" tuning in some of his Homespun Videos. At least I know he does for guitar. Can't remember if he also talked about mando.

LKB -- Thanks for the info.
    EdSherry

check this link to create your own sweet tuning.Peterson tuner

Investigate the Pythagorean tuning. I use it on fifth instruments on my Peterson Virtual Strobe tuner. Works great.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music