Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin stands

Can anyone recommend a good mandolin stand? I'm a guitar player who also plays mando. I take a mando to my gigs and use it on a few songs, but it doesn't work well to try to sit it in a guitar stand. I'm assuming there are stands out there that are mando sized. What are the good one?

Thanks.

I'm not a big fan of stands, but if you have to put your mando down unattended, use a stand that secures your instrument. The stand is less likely to tip over than your mando resting on it. I have used my adjustable guitar stand, but I try not to. Anyone have good results from a mando-specific stand?

I have an Ingles stand. It's actually a fiddle stand, but it works fine for a mandolin. It's sturdy, adjustable, and stable. Highly recommended.
    awm

Ditto on the Ingles stand.

I have a Hercules French Horn stand that works great, lots of padding in theright places and folds up very small.

I own 3 Ingles...can't go wrong with them. I especially like the bar across the fretboard that keeps the mando from getting knocked out of the stand.

Jason

Lefty JBovier F5 Tradition, Lefty Mid-Mo M1

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I am very happy with the Hamilton KB38 Instrument Stand.

It securely hangs the mandolin with the bottom of the mandolin's body at about 10" off the floor. I've also used the kind of stand where the mandolin is nearly on the floor, but found that it's too easy for someone on a poorly lit stage to kick or trip over the mandolin when it's at that level.

Hamilton makes a great stand - I also use one of their stands for upright bass.

String Swing is another,,, the fork is made to squeeze closer together easily.
    A floor stand has foolding tripod legs, 3 holders , individually height adjustable.
    like for guitar and mando's at different heights.
    there is a clamp onto the mic stand model too, to hold one instrument per clamp,
    many versions: slatwall for stores , etc.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Get a Hercules single guitar stand and put some foam pipe insulation around the post. It holds the mandolin just under the headstock at a height that's perfect for stage work.

I have an Ingles stand too and a mandolin will fit in in but it has a little plastic piece that flips over to hold the neck in there. If you have a guitar in one hand trying to flip the piece back with one hand it's a pain.

The hercules keeps the mando hanging and all you do is pick it up and the weight activated hold downs flip back automatically. It's the only thing I use now.

I prefer the kind that mounts to the wall so it hangs out of the way but is easily accessible (String Swing, I think - can be found at GC). I also have a Gruven floor stand that I have been happy with - I use it to sit on the coffee table while I'm pickin' and watching TV or a movie and want to take a quick break.

But if you're lookin' for aesthetics, Doug Edwards makes some beautiful stands that incorporate the scroll and carving and are durable as well.
    Andrew Lewis
    Collings MT2, Tone Gard, Tortis Style C heavy, bootlace strap, J74s

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ingles for me at home, but I'm with Andrew in that the String Swing CC-04 is the answer to a Maiden's Prayer for stage. It attaches to a music stand (or mic stand), has no foot print, puts the instrument at waist level (less bending over seems to be more an issue for us old f*rts), and most importanly, there's sufficient room if I've got a cord coming out of the endpin jack.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stands.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	23138  
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Another ditto for the Ingles violin stand - we have 3 and recommend it to everyone we know. We have others (before we found the Ingles stand) & this is the one for us.
    Karen

I have a Meisel violin/mando stand, minus the bow holder. I like it because it folds up very small and can fit in a briefcase.
    http://elderly.com/accessories/items/VS10.htm

At home, I have a cheap "Ultra" guitar stand that I got on sale for $10. I took the rubber and plastic parts off and took a hacksaw to it and cut it down to mando-size. Then I burnished the cuts, trimmed the soft parts down and put it all back together. It works great.

Blog Entries

Ditto Ingles
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I have all of the above for various instruments. Stands are cheap, and a good way to avoid a drop or spill. Normally I just have a bunch of adjustable guitar stands that I use for mandolins. They work well cause they're low to the ground with a low center of gravity, hard to knock over. I also have various string swings ect through out the house. Anything is better than setting it down just anywhere. I even have a folding one to take with me in my music bag, if required, when I go out to play.

For 10 or 20 bucks, a good investment and insurence to protect anyone's instruments.

I use Ingles stands at home, for mandolins and mandola. On stage, I use a Hamilton. I think it's much more stable in such an environment. JMO.
    Dale

I have two Ingles stands, but I only use it for the fiddle now. #I don't like that fact that my expensive mandolin is at the perfect height for accidentally kicking it. #My fiddle is an inexpensive Chinese copy (albeit, a good one) and I don't play very well so I risk it.

I heartily agree with Jim n Virginia's recommendation of the Hercules stands. #I have used a single guitar stand for two years and love it (except that you have to loosen your Paige type capo up and let it slide to about the third fret to hang the guitar by it).

I recently bought a double Hercules stand and keep two mandolins on it at a comfortable height (its adjustable). #This stand works great for guitar AND mandolin at the same time. #I bought it off ebay from this dealer and his price was the best and his shipping was fast. There's one listed which ends in about an hour and twenty minutes, but search his listings for another one. Sorry, MandolinCafe won't let me use the link key for some reason. Search eBay for Sigler_Music and Hercules GS422B stands.

Rick in Memphis

I have two Ingles stands, and I like the bow/strap rest feature. Be sure to put your name on it. I had a fiddle player try to take mine at a picking party, insisting it was his until I showed him my name.

I actually had to show him where he'd put his stand, since he couldn't remember. I think there was alcohol involved...or something.
    Brian T. Walker
    Down beside the Alamo
    In the Lone Star State

"Ignorance is when you don't know something and somebody finds it out."
    -- Kenneth "Jethro" Burns

I echo the recommendation of the Hamilton "hanger" stand.

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/KB38.htm

It's the only stand I'll use on stage; almost untippable. #I bought a triple Hercules stand a while back, but went back to the Hamilton.

I find that the Ingles also works well for home use. #And I agree that the String Swing (attached to a STURDY microphone stand) is a great space-saver. #I've used one for fiddle, not mandolin, but it should work fine.
    EdSherry

Second the double Hercules, works for my Sobell cittern and whichever mandolin I'm playing - at the same time. Sturdy build and neck locking system are great.

Quote Originally Posted by (jim_n_virginia @ April 28 2007, 20:36)
    Get a Hercules single guitar stand and put some foam pipe insulation around the post. It holds the mandolin just under the headstock at a height that's perfect for stage work.(...)The hercules keeps the mando hanging and all you do is pick it up and the weight activated hold downs flip back automatically. It's the only thing I use now.
    Hercules too. It's great!
    http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS412B.html
    "Bonjour chez vous!"
    Phil.
    Wondergrass
    MoonShine

Tried all the others, big yes on the Hercules. Like Jim said above, though, you will need to pad the pole, as your mandolin will hang shorter than a guitar, and will hit the unpadded area. Otherwise, this is the ultimate mandolin stand for me. Nearly impossible to overturn, easy to grab off of and people do nut trip over it like those "on the floor" stands. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

Quadruple on the Hercules; folds very small; I got the one for mini-guitar. Here it is

I have a few different types and much prefer the Hercules to all others I've tried.
    Bob DeVellis