Thread: Best mandolin instruction book

I'm looking for a book that will take me from the basics to advanced playing - are there any really good methods out there that are not simply a collection of tunes? I'm already an advanced flatpicking guitar player and would like to find something to speed up the transition to mando.

What style(s) of music?

Well I-, personally, have always Used Mel Bay... and another old book I have for CLassical methods...but all In all..
    YaY for Mel Bay!
    "Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." -Ludwig Van Beethoven

Personally, some of #the best all around instruction books/CDs I've seen are from Simon Mayor. #He covers EVERYthing. #No one style, just good mandolin musicianship.

I don't know about any good books but I've got both the Chris Thile and Sam Bush DVD's from Homespun Tapes. #Both are really, really great! #I think you can get a short video sample at www.homespuntapes.com.

Check them out.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I was looking at the Simon Mayor books on the internet and I think that might be what I'm looking for as the emphasis seems to be first on a thorough understanding of the instrument than a specific musical style.
    The Chris Thile dvd would be worth having too, but I think I'd prefer a book with cd.

Check out Steve Kaufmans "Twenty tunes every parking lot picker should know". #It has begginer, intermediate and advanced tunes in tab and notation and a CD to cover every part of each. #Butch Baldassari has a couple of instructional books out that are very similiar. #Both are good. #Clamdigger

The very popular and excellent method from earlier in the last century was the Bickford method. Everything but volume one is out of print. However, Django Books has volume 1 in ebook format for a reasonable price.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Niles' wares are very comprehensive, not just tunes but techniques, studies, etc.

Anyone know anything about the Teach Yourself book by Andy Statman?

its a beginner book---doesn't include notation--only tab. I consider that a big drawback. Plus the CD doesn't have slow speeds for the songs. Much better books are the beginning books by Dix Bruce (very comprehensive and tons of songs and great CD) and Bert Casey (more BG oriented-good CD). Both a good price---they are so inexpensive you can get both for around 20 bucks.

Andy Morton
    Madison, WI

Fretboard Roadmap for Mandolin

Great book! Got me started on improvisation and solo playing.

I think the best overall clean and simple book (I came from the guitar as well) is Mel Bay's Deluxe BlueGrass Mandolin Method by Ray Valla. #It usually runs around 10 bucks (and there may be one with a CD now) and it has the basics for everything, very well laid out. #After all these years, I still pull it out of a very large stack of mandolin instruction books. #It covers scales, chords, method, keys, and with good simple arrangements of most of the basic bluegrass songs. #It has become my little basic mando-Bible. Each time my playing kicks to a higher level, I find something in that book that helps me.