Thread: Mandolin and Suzuki Violin

I am looking for a method/tutorial book that is structured like that of Suzuki. I don't know if you are familiar with these beautiful books. Each tune, beginning with Twinkle variations, progresses every so little, ending in book 1 with I think Hunters Chorus or some Gavotte by Handel or Bach or one of those dead white Euro composers. The beauty of the book is its logic and the tunes. Each tune builds on the previous by adding one new technical demand so as not to overburden the struggling violinist.
    Please no referals to bluegrass. Been there done it.
    Thanks so much.
    Chip
    Musically Yours,
    Chip

No bluegrass here, do not worry.

Almost all the classic methods work similarly, starting simply and building technique and fluidity in different keys, meters, etc. One of the best American methods is Bickford, available at that link as an e-book.

The other book I like is Goichberg's 35 Progressive Mandolin Etudes, (available from and published by Plucked String)which, as the title says, provides progressively more difficult pieces, which for the most part are nice melodies as well. I would not say they were for the very rankest of beginners but if you have been playing a bit are pretty accessible.

Jim
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Dec-08-2008 at 4:14pm. Reason: contained link to main site that is no longer online
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks so much Jim. I will try them both.
    CHip
    Musically Yours,
    Chip

Greetings,

For those interested, we now have two new mandolin eBooks available:

"Christofaro Method for Mandolin " edited by G. L. Lansing

"33 Special Studies for the Mandolin" by G. L. Lansing

For more info or to download: DjangoBooks.com

-Michael

Hi Chip,

I thought I'd mention, I've been learning the mandolin by going through the Suzuki repertoire. I've gotten through the first three and a half books, and the music is plenty challenging to play.

The left hand training is very similar to the violin.

The right hand is quite different though. Ornaments are very difficult for me on the mando, especially fast trills, but the Suzuki pieces build that up sequentially as well.

I've been looking for a teacher in the Hartford area who has that Suzuki like pedagogy thing going. Although there is a vibrant guitar community around hear, I have not found much in the way of mandolin players in central CT.

Regards,

Peter

Mark lives near to Hartford. I don't know if he teaches, but he is a pretty active contributor on this board and might know folks who do. And he is a very accomplished player. [That is Mark not Marc]

BTW, no slight to Marc was intended. He is also accomplished player, however he lives in the UK.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I'm fond of the Suzuki violin material myself, and pick them up off my granddaughter as she moves thru. Still, Bickford or some mandolin pedagogue should be referred to, for the right-hand techniques.