Thread: Syncopaths and Ashley Broder

Jawzua

Default Syncopaths and Ashley Broder

Good Evening to all (and morning to some),

I love sharing great music and making new friends. We all love mandolin and mandolin family instruments here and it's always great to hear them in Irish/Scottish/etc.. trad and a few good Quebecian tunes on the side. One of my favorite mandolin players, for quite a few years now has been Ashley Broder and she plays with a group called the Syncopaths. They have a new album called "Five Gears" and it's really a great recording, better after multiple listens and it has great mando content. I have no financial interest, just sharing good music and hoping to make a few friends. Here's the info
    Syncopaths website: http://www.syncopaths.com
    Here's the Album: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/syncopaths2
    Hope you enjoy,
    Joshua

Default Re: Syncopaths and Ashley Broder

I listen to Five Gears all the time, great stuff. Their group is built for Contra Dance music so they have a lean and nimble sound. Fiddle firmly in the driver's seat with mandolin, piano and Bodhran all very easy to hear n the mix. Great rhythm and drive to even their non-dance-tempo tracks. Also a few songs with cello or other instruments added in for variety. Their wonderful singer Christa Burch is featured on several vocal tracks as well. Ryan McKasson has a fiddle tone I love, very round and warm. But as for mandolin, Ashley's tone and especially her touch and articulation are just about as good as it gets for my taste. Not like Bluegrass, it's a very different sound than a lot of people are used to hearing from mandolin. I really like it!
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry

Default Re: Syncopaths and Ashley Broder

Nice! Thanks, Joshua!
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo