I had an inexpensive Gibson archtop guitar copy in for fretwork and setup. One thumbscrew post was protruding a tiny bit out the bottom base of the bridge and putting a dent in the finish. Not liking that, I fixed it but then had the bridge pull off to one side a bit when I tuned it up, shifting the strings to one edge of the fretboard. After scrathing my head for a while, I figured out that the tailpiece was out of alignment with the center line and the post had been keeping the bridge from moving. I moved the tailpiece into alignment and the problem was cured.
Just some input to this discussion and further proof to myself that being too picky on cheap instruments can be troublesome.
Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.
-- Mary Lou Cook