Thread: Looking for a new mandolin

Default Looking for a new mandolin

Hey everyone,

First post on this forum, but I've been lurking here for a good while. I've been playing a Garrison mandolin for a few years. It had an accident, I brought it into a shop and it doesn't look good for the little guy. I'm still waiting on the final verdict, but in the mean time I'm researching new mandolins. It seems likely I'll need one.

The problem is that I haven't been able to try a lot of different kinds. The local music stores only carry a couple per store, and they're usually poorly set up. There's one place I have still yet to try that carries a bit of a wider selection I'm told.

I'm looking for an A-style mandolin. I usually play Celtic or Pop/Rock music. My question is what are the main differences between F- shaped soundholes and circular ones? It's difficult for me to tell based on the mandolins I've played because they aren't set up great, and it's hard to tell based solely on internet videos.

The mandolins I've been looking at are the Eastman MD504 & 505, and a few others. Anything else I should know about in that $600-$900 price range?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking for a new mandolin

I'm not familiar enough with oval hole mandolins to attempt an answer, but you might find the information you want in the thread found here: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ght=oval+sound

I hope you find the perfect instrument for you.

That was a great read! Funny this should come up as I've just purchased an Oval hole mandolin. Awaiting it's arrival sometime next week.

New, there are Big Muddy, Gypsy Music(linked at the top of this page), Floodtone, & others. Lots of options in the vintage & used markets, including some Gibsons & possibly a few Martins, among many others.
    Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

Those Big Muddy's and Gypsy's look like what I'm after. They seem to be talked about on the forum favourably, which makes me lean towards them. Anyone able to compare them with the Eastman 504, or recommend Muddy or Gypsy? I'm far away from any dealer that sells any of these instruments.

I went to that store that was supposed to carry more mandolins in stock. All they had were poor quality/setup epiphones and fenders, and the one Godin electric mandolin that isn't comparable to something I'm shopping for. It's no wonder that not very many people play the mandolin when playable instruments aren't very accessible.

There are lots of good resources and folks here on this forum that make online shopping less intimidating.

Thanks for the help, and that article made me decide to stick with an oval hole for what I'm playing.