Thread: Guitar chords/mandolin chords?

Hi everyone!
    I am a member of a worship band for vocals and recently started also playing mandolin for the band. Obviously, all of the guitar chords that are used are along with the lyrics when we recieve them. Now, there are some that I don't quite understand. (Keep in mind I know very little about guitar chords, I just started taking a guitar class this week)

The chords that I am confused about are those such as:

In "Enough": G/B D2/F#
    In "How Great Thou Art": C#m/B E/B

for just a few examples

What does this mean? How are these shapes made?
    I ask because I tried to look them up and had troubly finding them, so, help!

Thanks so much!

Oftentimes (though not always) the first letter is the chord, and the second letter is the note that should be a bass note. For example G/B would be a G chord on guitar with the E string muted so the lowest note was a B (2nd fret on the A string) rather than a G (3rd fret on the E string). I would ask the guitarist what they are doing in that situation (because it can mean different things). But if that does denote the lowest note to be played on guitar (or piano) I would just ignore it and play a G. The guitar will already be supplying the lowest note, and they can go so much lower than you.

In all the vocal/keyboard music I've had to play, the first letter is always the chord and the letter under the slash is always the bass note. The guitar can ignore the bottom notes and play the chord named above the slash. The mando can do the same.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

A 2 chord is the same as an Add9 chord - it contains the Root, second (ninth), third and fifth. If you exchange the 3rd for the 2nd in a major chord it is a sus2 (R,2,5) A regular 9th chord must contain the flatted (dominant) 7th.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Thanks so much everyone!

hey all,
    see thread called "guitar to mandolin chord conversion"

sometimes the chord/ bass can be switched on those lead sheets. also if the bass player or guitar player is playing the root instead of the altered bass note, it will sound awkward if anyone plays it. in worship music you see F#/D ,C#/A, and G/B for the first one play 2002 open D, second one play a bar A chord 2245 or 220x and for the G/B play a 0223 (Em) i know this isnt perfect theory but those are the stack chords you run into most often. if all else fails ask the guitar player to wite out what hes playing on top of the other ones. and watch out, if your using ccli lead sheets they add a bunch of chords that arent needed.

oh and you see D2, D5, and Dsus chords a lot as well as sus chords in general. for D2 play 2000, for D5 play 2005 and for Dsus play 2003. for sus chords just take the 3rd of the chord up 1 fret. unless your playing bluegrass or up tempo music the open chords and chord fragments sound better than chop chords, and if you have a drummer and are trying to chop, you'll just get in the drummer's way.

Quote Originally Posted by (hobbitgirl3 @ Feb. 28 2007, 15:07)
    I am a member of a worship band for vocals
    May I ask, what is a "worship band for vocals"? Or is it a "worship band"? What is that? IS that like a tribute band, but with even more emphasis?
    Come to my evolving web page, where I hope to add more mandolin chord arrangements as I get them finished:
    https://mando.tauxe.net

i think shes a vocalist in a worship band and shes learning the mandolin. a worship band performs the music in a contemporary church service.