Thread: Rose on the mountain (not 'wild rose of the')

Hi all,

This D tune (I'm 90% sure it was a D tune) was played at an old-time session I attended a couple of nights ago, and I would really like to hear it again and learn it. When I asked the name of the tune afterwards I was told, "Rose on the Mountain".

As I poke around online, I'm finding only a few references to this tune describing it as an American reel, and so far I haven't been able to find a recording or transcription of it anywhere! It is not the same as "Wild Rose of The Mountain", which was the first thing I checked when I looked for it in the Fiddler's Fakebook.

It can apparently be found in George P. Knauff's "Virginia Reels", published in 1839, so it's a relatively old tune. (Has Knauff's book ever been reprinted? It seems almost as elusive as the tune I'm trying to find! Trying to find out more about it reminds me of H.P. Lovecraft's Necronomicon!)

Anybody heard of this tune and/or know of any recordings of it?

-Andy

Well, I think I may have just answered my own question. I came across a page at http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/ROS_ROTT.htm, which prompted me to search for "Rose IN the Mountain" - I had better luck there, and found a couple of recordings that sound like the tune I heard the other night, one by Art Stamper and one by Carol Elizabeth, David Winston, James Leva & Mike Seeger.