Thread: Neck Width Variations

Exclamation

Having owned an old Gibson F4 for some years and coming from the world of banjos, I was very used to a slightly wider neck. I have since taken delivery of a brand spanking new varnished F5 from a reputable builder. Must admit that I am struggling at times to get used to the slimmer neck size, particularly around the first position area. I tend to dampen the surrounding strings if I am not careful and I have to keep my fingers almost vertical to the fretboard. Would anyone amongst our community know why and when builders made changes in this regard and why? Does anyone ever specially order a wider neck and what would be the regular neck width of the Gilchrist, Nugget and old Gibson F5 mandolins? Thanks for your time.

..I know the Gibson Sam Bush model is wider at the nut and Im sure any builder would probably have now problem builing a neck to the width of your liking....to answer your other question...I dont have a clue...

The slimest neck width at the nut will be around 1". Most folks seem to prefer 1 1/8" - 1 3/16". It is too bad you didn't discuss the neck width for your custom instrument as customized neck measurements are one of the big positives going for small builders.

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think 1-1/8" is pretty much the standard -- if you don't specify otherwise, just about any good mandolin will come this way. Anyone know of any common exceptions?

1-3/16" is a common alternative found on some older Gibsons, and a few new mandolins. Most folks get by fine with 1-1/8", but if you have unusually large fingers, or are interested in a more chordal approach rather than playing just single note lines, you might want to consider the wider fingerboard. I just recommended a student trade in his very nice 1-1/8" Rigel A-Natural because he has big fingers and limited flexibility -- the wider fingerboard will be easier for chording, since there's more room to get fingers out of the way. I think the wider fingerboard is a little more forgiving of left hand placement issues, since there's more room to move fingers away from where they shouldn't be!

August W
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

Smile

Thank you so far for your collective input. Just measured both mandolins again and found that the Gibson's neck is only 1mm wider (at the nut). However, the strings are spaced differently. G and E are sitting far closer here to the edges of the fretboard and therefore there is more space between all strings overall. Also, I am using pretty light gauge PF250 strings (.011, .016, .024, .038) on my Gibson. My F5 is currently wearing fairly heavy J75's (.0115, .016, .026, .041). Would going down in string gauge make a noticable difference?

I ordered my neck 1 1/6th at the nut. I space the strings as far out as possible and keep the pairs the same as on smaller necks. This gives me just smidgin more room between the pairs but it's perfect for me. I'll be ordering the same size again...

We can build a neck to the width requested by the customer...within reason. No six inch width necks . We can do just about anything with few exceptions and those are for structural integrity or tone. If interested you can see your dealer or contact me direct. Thank you.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Has anyone ever ordered or played a mandolin with a 1-1/4" neck? I'm gonna order me a custom mando, and will either get a 1-3/16" or 1-1/4". I've got big ol' wide fingertips, and a little extra room would sure be nice.

Is 1-1/4" too wide? Input would be appreciated...

Gary
    Atlanta

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by
    Is 1-1/4" too wide? Input would be appreciated...
    Ask Radim Zenkl:

big ol' wide-neck Capek

There's a tradeoff though -- with a wider neck the left hand gets more room for finger placement, but the right hand has to travel farther and with better accuracy between strings. I'm guessing 1-1/4" would still be comfortable, since 1-3/16" is an easy adjustment to make, at least for me. Sure would like to try one!

August W

Mid Mo's wideneck model measures 1 1/4" at the nut....

Blog Entries

Great! Thanks Dale. That would be a low-cost way of trying it out -- and I've been wanting one of those.

August W