Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flatiron Performer A ?

A not quite local store, about1.5 hour drive, notified me they have a Flatiron Performer A for $900. From what I've seen in the classifieds that is a very reasonable price. And that's the max of my price range. I'm really interested. But because its a fair distance to travel to check out a mando and I've never actually played one before: I'm wondering what people's experience with them has been ? This will be IT for me I will not be able to upgrade from here. I will trade in my Y2K3. I'm a beginner
    learning the bluegrass and jazz standards. Any experience and angle you have on these instrumrnts would be appreciated. thanks

Is it the one at guitar works? If it is, I played it a little while back and its very nice. plays much like the other flatirons I have played. Nice neck, good mids and highs. Typical flatiron. In my opinion it's definitley worth the price tag.

By the way, if it's not that one, I suggest going and trying it out. Sounds worth the trek.
    Phyn

yes that's the one. I'm eager to play it. But getting the time to travel there this weekend isn't possible. How good of shape is the finish etc. thanks for the info

I agree. great mando. and for a great price.

From what I remember the finish was in good shape. No structural flaws that I could see. But please bear in mind that I was not looking to buy so I was not looking too hard. But I did play it for a little bit. And it sounded very nice. The sounds what really made an impression on me.
    I live about an hour and a half from there too. I feel your pain! I had to get some repairs done on my mandolin and had a wonderful case of road rage when I arived at the shop. I just LOVE 5 o'clock traffic!
    Phyn

Drive the 1.5 hours and try it. For the last 2 years I have been making quarterly pilgrimages to elderly, looking for a new mando. This year I finally found one that was what I was looking for at a price I could afford.

Even if the mando isn't what you're looking for it is time well spent

I drive about 1 1/2hr each way to work mostly in traffic. That's a trip around the block. Go play it.

Yes,

$900.00 for a Flatiron performer A is a good price. Flatiron's are traditionally great instruments and a great value. Go get it!

I'd reccommend a Flatiron Performer A to anyone. Had to get rid of mine to get my Pomeroy - it was worth it but that is no reflection on the Flatiron. Everybody who played my Performer A was impressed.
    Smile Anyway

Arrgh. Now I'm convinced i've got to get there. I'm waiting for a check that would cover it (which I could get any minute) and searching for a break in my schedule that would allow me the time to get there. Alot of work and family obligations in next few days. butI'm asking checking if someone might be in the store in off hours. The Guitar Works Is a great store. Now I JUST HOPE ITS STILL THERE WHEN I CAN MAKE IT THERE... a few years ago i visited a Taylor guitar there every couple weeks for over a year, maybe 2, while I saved up the dough, when I went in to buy, it was sold. Sure I can laugh now, but i'd hate to replay that episode. Still, at present that's the risk I take

Don't you have some money tucked away in checking or something? You could call and put a downpayment on it to hold it.
    Paul

Or...you could let me know where it is and I can buy it. Then when MAS hits again I'll sell it to you.

got the check now i got to get the time maybe the on hold idea might work.I'll see

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

good luck making this your last mandolin - ha.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

p.s.,

Check out the Cafe Classifieds where there is a 1984 pre-Gibson Flatiron A-jr for 1100 bucks. It's not mine, but if it's like mine it would be a good deal.

f-d

Hey Fatt Dadd,
    what's the difference between the festivals and the JR's?
    Paul

O.K. I misspoke. I have an 1984 Flatiron A5-1 and I really do not know the differences in the Flatiron lineup for 1984. I just made the point, that my Flatiron was the best mandolin purchase that I have made. I just love it. So I suspect that the other pre-Gibson Flatirons are also real good mandolins. I'll try to be more clear in the future.

fatt-dad

Yeah, what is the difference between a JR and a Performer ?Due to a variety of family and work obligations i still haven't made it out to check out the performer. I'll probably call tomorrow to see if its even still there. But this whole discussion is pointing me in a flatiron direction, So I wonder, who does know the difference between a performer and a JR esp. as I have occassionally seen JRs come up at reasonable prices in the classifieds

On pre-Nashville Performer series instruments (Festivals and Performers) the fretboard extension is integrated into the top. They generally sound just as good as their more expensive brothers. They aren't trimmed out as fancy - less binding and ornamentation. They sell used for around $900-1000 and are an incredible value.

On Signature series instruments, the Ajr was the bottom of the line. Next up was the A5 and then the A5 Artist. At one time, the Signature series instruments had a better warranty but in later years it was the same for everything. I've played a lot of Flatirons have never played a bad one. For all of them in existence, you'll notice they don't change hands often.
    MWM

Mark in West Michigan

It's been said before. play a mandolin or PLAY A FLATIRON
    "Mandolins are an Illness" Conrad Deislar

I have been playing a Flatiron Festival A for about 3 years now and when I upgrade I plan to find a F-5 Flatiron because I am just used to the shape of the neck. I love my Flatiron and have taken it everywhere! I have gotten so many compliments on the sound I cannot count.

Is it a Gibson of Monteleone? Nope, but for the value and sound I am completely happy.... for now!

maybe fortunately, the urgency about buying has just about passed, but the confusion lingers. when i saw the maple flat top flatiron in the classifieds last week i was having spasms. now i see one performer A in the classifieds is also on ebay. There's others that are listed for several months(but are they really still there?)The A jr blacktop in the classifieds looks like a great deal. But is this a step up from the performer or a step down. i become siezed up with anxiety spenin large sums and am very confused. Anyway, I still have trouble with my schedule ( a first commuion, soccer, softball , little league , work etc) and not being prone to act on my impulses I'M AT A DISADVANTAGR. aND NOW i'M WONDERING ABOUT THE WHOLE RADIUSED FRETBOARD ISSUE. i'VE NEVER PLAYED ONE, SHOULD i ? But still I think maybe I really can't go too wrong with a flatiron from what I'm told... So where do people weigh in on the ones currently in the classifieds... it looks like some comparable instruments range in price 2-3 hundred bucks.

om21ed, you are having the classic MAS panic attack. You are now entering the danger zone. Relax, take a deep breath and don't do anything even close to buying a mandolin.
    This is where you will make a mistake that that will lead you right back to where you are right now. Confused. The only difference is that you will own a mandolin that you are not really sure that you want. Bad news and we have all done it I think.
    The thing to remember is that there are always good deals out there. #Don't think that another one will never come along. They show up every day.
    Do some nice slow research and hang onto your bucks until you are sure of what you are buying. And,,, BREATH!!!

Its done. Got it yesterday. Terry at Guitar Works in Evanston gave me a very good deal on a nice mandolin. I think the Flatiron is as much as I will ever aspire to. Thanks to everybody

Great move.