Thread: 2-finger chords

I've download the 2 Finger Chord Chart from the Mandolin Cafe. Is there any other links/websites that a detailed list of 2 Finger Chords. Thanks

The Cafe's list is it for what are called two fingered chords. These are chords which use all 4 strings, but only two are fretted. Two-note "chords" are commonly known as double stops, and they are almost too numerous to list. Any two notes which are in a particular chord, and can be formed as a double stop on the mandolin, may be used. The best thing to do is learn what notes make up what chords, then you can put whatever ones suit your song into it. Just as an example, if the song calls for a G7th, you can use the x-3-2-x double stop, which is an F and a B note, but in the context of the music, it fits right in with the harmony, because a G7th contains G(Root)-B(3rd)-D(5th)-F(Flatted, or dominant 7th). The other instruments will "cover" the Root and 5th in the G7th chord.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Chords at a minimum are 3 notes, of 2 intervals [double stops,a fiddler's term] ,
    so take a collection of chords and experiment with the harmonys of any 2 notes in that chord, see what they sound like , and like vocabulary builders ,see how you could use it in a sentence , er , musical phrase .
    I found that by harmonizing the scale , with major and minor intervals, a lot of chords can be suggested, without having more than a couple notes .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I love two-finger chords for old-time music. I also find them useful in bluegrass jamming backup when there is another mandolin chopping.

I started playing mandolin using two finger chords. I first used some I found in Dix Bruce "You Can Teach Yourself Mandolin" But recently, I bought John McGann's RHYTHM MANDOLIN DVD and he really explains how to use these great open chords.

While two finger chords seem simple, they can be used effectively by intermediate and advanced players.
    Glenn Nelson
    Las Vegas, NV

"Every day brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes and play your mandolin."