Thread: Early 70's alvarez f-style

I've recently stumbled upon an early 70's alvarez f-style mandolin. It's in great shape, with MOP inlays all the way up the neck and on the headstock, it's got maple back and sides and sounds pretty good too. #Does anybody know how much it's worth and/or any info on these mandos?

It's probably worth close to what they are asking. Did you have a chance to play it? I looked at the one that I think you're talking about - very clean and vintage looking.

Yeah, I played it. It had very old strings on it, but it projected well and had a nice chop. You think it's worth $1295?

It's Japanese. I don't think the Japanese Alvarezes are quite as good as the Ibanezes from the same era. The price sounds a little high, but not ridiculous.

I just sold a Japanese Alvarez like this about 6 months ago.. the store owner I had it on consignment with said it would get only about $500, and that's what I took for it.
    It's hard to get a price reference for them, since you don't see them for sale much.
    The one I sold sounded like a chinese mandolin, without a lot of depth to it [more like strings on wood.]
    Sheryl --- Me

" You think it's worth $1295?"

I realize that there's a certain "mystique" about these '70s Japanese instruments, and while some are bound to sound better than others, they're pretty much "All mouth and no hat". I know someone who bought one about a year ago for
    $450. For about $200-250 you could get a Japanese A model Kentucky which would probably sound at least as good.
    But you wouldn't get the "thousand-dollar scroll" and people wouldn't think you were cool ... unless you play well.:D

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

It's likely to high for what your getting. Better value in an A9 or Flatiron A model.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I agree with papa gordo. I had a Japanese Alvarez A800 F-style as my main mando for about 10 years. I got $400 from a music store for it on a trade about five years ago. Coincidentally, that's about what I paid for it used a decade earlier. They are very decent instruments, but not great and that is about what they are worth.

For the same money I'd go with a new Eastman 815.

"For the same money I'd go with a new Eastman 815."

... and get a fancy piece of wood to hold against your body for hundreds of dollars more than a 515??

Curt

Heres one listed on e&%# for $750

Item # 280072146170

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....=1&rd=1

I have one of the Alvarez, Gibson copies that I picked up a couple of years ago for $300. It has "The Alvarez" in script across the top with the Gibson flowerpot. It also has the blocked inlays ala Sam Bush Model. It is easy to play but before I added an ivory saddle the volume was sort of thin. Pretty good now.

I have watched them sell for a couple of years typically around $500 with case. There are some still around but the value has held pretty steady for a year. Personally $1,250 seems a little high to me and as mentioned above you can get some pretty awesome mandolins for that price that will sound much better and be brand new...Eastman just to name one.
    1991 Flatiron Festival
    2010 Morgan Monroe MDM 2
    1997 Martin D-35
    2012 Taylor 410CE LTD
    1977 Fender F-65

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

One more thing to add on some of these MIJ mandolins - some of the tops are carved WAY too thick. You really have to see/play and get a 48 hour approval on any that you are interested in. I've had two - one Alvarez and one Ibanez that were just way too thick. Returned them both. I've also had one with a sunken top (returned it) and another with an unglued tone bar.

Buyer beware. . .

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I've had a few of the Alvarez A800s like the one in the auction link above.I think that generally they are very well made,easy to play and sound pretty good.I recall that a couple that I sold a few years ago,one guy drove here to Ohio from Alabama to buy it.Think I sold that one for $825-$850. Another I sold to a guy who drove down from Michigan.Think I sold that one for $950.Both were really fine instruments. Those particular mandolins were made from about 1975-1982.

I have a 70-71 a-800 that I am going to put on the market for around 900 if you are interested. That is what I payed for it 9 months ago. I just got a km 1500. You can find alot of deals in the mid 70's japanese market. Look at you local pawn shops, they usually don't know what they have if it doesn't say Gibson.. If you want pictures of mine, just email. good luck
    It's not an addiction... It's an investment.
    Gil #794
    Preston Thompson 2-15
    Martin D-18VS

Hey guys, thanks for the info. I just bought one for $550. I'll give it full review soon.

Just got my mando. It's the sma eone that was on eB@# for $750, I got it for $550. I really like this mando. It needs a setup, but it has a great tone and plays well too, and its loud! Not to mention it's a beauty and very well built. The only thing is that I don't know exactly what year it is. I'm pretty sure it's a A800 made sometime in the 70's, but there is no serial #, sticker, or anything except a brand that says "alvarez hand made". Any ideas, I have pics.

Georgetown Indiana, Across the creek from Louisville KY.

dawgpickin Did you see that mandolin at the Guitar Center at the old forest fair mall, Can't remember what they renamed that mall. Did the case have like an ugly orange or yellow felt liner?
    Poe#5, Neely#72, Kentucky KM 150 (The Bagram Beater)
    http://WWW.myspace.com/easternskybluegrass
    http://www.myspace.com/darrintissandier

Yeah, I think that is the same one although I didn't see the case, it was hanging on the wall. It was alright, but after some research it was way overpriced,(but I think you get it for $900) I definitely like mine better.

I would not trade mine for love or money. I have an older Alvarez A800. I must have gotten a fluke, because it will blow most anything I have played away. Just fits my ears.
    Thank you very much. God bless.