Thread: What quality were most of the old regals

Forgive the post about a guitar, but I have my eye on an old Regal guitar and don't know what kind of quality most of them were.
    Solid woods?
    Good construction?
    Any recommendations?
    Bill Snyder

The quality would vary from low-grade student model to intermediate. If you have any pictures of the guitar or a similar instrument, this would help people to give you an idea of the instrument's value and quality.
    When 'good enough' is more than adequate.

I have an old Regal of the "Regal Regal" era. Indianapolis, 1901 -1904 IIRC.

Solid woods; figured Brazilian behind what may be Red spruce, one piece mahogony neck, slot tuners, 12 fret join, ladder bracing, and pyramid bridge. A very, -very- nice voice; Harmon Satterlee (who did the neck reset in 1972) said it was one of the best balanced guitars he'd ever heard.

I don't know what they were like before then; afterwards they were ok; nothing special at best, IMO.

I have a Regal taropatch, a Regal koa tiple, and a Regal tenor banjo pot with an "after market" Pete Seeger long neck from the '60's.
    All workmanlike, solid woods, fairly nondescript finishes, decent tuners. Equivalent to mid-price instruments of today, except for solid vs. veneer.
    I think your decision should be based on price and on the amount of work needed. You won't end up with a "collector's item," but you might get a decent usable instrument.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Bill Snyder

The Regal name has an up-and-down history. According to the mugwumps site:

Quote Originally Posted by
    Regal - Lyon & Healy trademark..........from 1905
    Regal - Wulschner trademark.....................1884-1901
    Regal Manufacturing Co. Indianapolis, IN.......1901-1904
    Regal Musical Instrument Co., Chicago, IL......1908-1954

The Wulschner Regals were quite well made. Samuel Siegel, one prominent mandolinist of the time endorsed them.

Later Regals were more budget instuments.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Bill -
    Hard to go wrong at the current auction price. Looks like an early 20th century "parlor" size guitar. It will need a new bridge, obviously, and one can't tell from the pics how straight the neck is, or if there's top distortion, loose braces etc. I really like the multi-colored marquetry (if that's the right term) purfling and backstrip -- characteristic of many pre-WWII guitars.

Also an interesting warning: "For sanitary reason we recommend that all instruments are professionally cleaned and serviced prior to use." Cooties?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by (allenhopkins @ Jan. 22 2007, 21:10)
    ... Also an interesting warning: "For sanitary reason we recommend that all instruments are professionally cleaned and serviced prior to use." #Cooties?
    Allen,
    That particular Goodwill puts that warning on all of their musical instrument auctions. I guess they just want to cover their backsides should someone get cooties from one of their auction items.
    Bill Snyder

That Goodwill one is one of the later ones. The bridge is obviously made of some inferior wood. However, it could be an ice guitar with some work. Goodwill works somewhat similar to eBay with folks bidding higher toward the end, tho the traffic is much less.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

it could be an ice guitar with some work
    An ice guitar? Cool! (Couldn't help myself, the mind-image was too funny, sorry)

As far as old parlor guitars go, as long as they're playable they're fun to have around. Even the cheapest ones sound neat (if very different from a modern guitar) and you get to see a lot of baffled looks on peoples faces when you take it out of the case.

Quote Originally Posted by (jgarber @ Jan. 22 2007, 21:00)
    The Regal name has an up-and-down history. According to the mugwumps site:

Regal - Lyon & Healy trademark..........from 1905
    Regal - Wulschner trademark.....................1884-1901
    Regal Manufacturing Co. Indianapolis, IN.......1901-1904
    Regal Musical Instrument Co., Chicago, IL......1908-1954
    Anyone know where post-1954 Regals came from? My first guitar was a Regal, purchased new from a local music store, $35 w/case. That was in late 1965 or 1966. Still have it. Plywood top, back, and sides, I think. Painted-on top binding and fretboard dots. Tone, muted and dull. But it served its purpose: I'm still playing guitar, sort of, these 40 years later. I even still pick up the Regal every so often and play it a bit, just for old time's sake.

Clearly Regal guitars were still being made by someone after 1954, unless mine had been sitting around the shop for a LONG time waiting for some sucker to buy it.
    Yuletide Bob

Quote Originally Posted by (markishandsome @ Jan. 23 2007, 10:53)
    it could be an ice guitar with some work
    An ice guitar? Cool! (Couldn't help myself, the mind-image was too funny, sorry)
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Well it went for $311.00. Just curious if anyone here was the eventual winner. My bid was one of the earlier ones.
    Bill Snyder