Thread: Sheet music

As a beginning (as in I don't even own a mandolin yet) player I have a question regarding sheet music possibilities. I've noticed that there doesn't appear to be that great a variety of sheet music dedicated to mandolin only. That being said, if I were to get sheet music for guitar, are the chords the same for the mandolin? As in, does a G chord for a guitar translate to a G chord for a mandolin for the same tune? Thanks.
    Ed Hartman

Yes, they are both considered C or concert instruments. The chord shapes are different, but the names are the same.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

To answer your question, yes chords are chords no matter what instrument plays them. They have the same construction, i.e major chords = 1,3,5.

As far as sheetmusic for mandolin, #I like music written for the violin #which translates well to the mandolin. I've also used guitar and piano sheetmusic but find it difficult to use a lot of times. Especially piano music which can be in some weird key like Bb. Or guitar music where the notes are below the mandolin range.
    Glenn Nelson
    Las Vegas, NV

"Every day brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes and play your mandolin."

Blog Entries

To me part of the charm of the mandolin is that it seems to have been ignored so much. Just about everwhere I get my music it is written for something else - fiddle tune books, piano music, even song books. I always feel like I am innovating - like nobody has thought of doing this particular thing on the mandolin.

One notable exception is the mandolin music Allan Alexander has put together, for medieval and renaissance music, with which I am having great fun.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

There are reams of mandolin sheet music if you know where to look...and like old music.

This came from another post, don't remember which one.

Also check out Nigel Gatherer's page, which apart from a truly great selection of mainly Scottish and Irish tunes arranged for mandolin also has a basic, but very sound, beginner's tutorial, for those critical first steps.