Thread: Mandolin strings are hard to find....

I live in a major area (DFW) and am having the hardest time finding a nice selection of mandolin strings at local dealers. Most dealers have only one kind, or maybe two.

What shops are you fine folks buying your strings at in the DFW area?

You might try Charlies Guitar in Dallas, Guitar Center in Dallas,or Murphys Music in Irving.
    Good Luck, Stanley
    Great Granpas are just Antique little boys.

Pick up a STORM

I always buy my strings on line. You can get a better deal then in a shop. I would support a local shop if there was one around here though. I have been very happy with my on line string purchases. My 2 cents.

russell
    Bulldog F #5

Quote Originally Posted by (Stanley Cox @ Jan. 12 2007, 21:00)
    You might try Charlies Guitar in Dallas, Guitar Center in Dallas,or Murphys Music in Irving.
    Good Luck, Stanley
    I went to Murphy's last weekend. I love that store and the folks who run it are great people. I've bought a couple of guitars there over the years. They had 3 kinds of mando strings, which is the biggest selection I've seen so far in these parts. I wish it were like the selection of guitar strings.

Blog Entries

My favorite strings only come from Jazzmando.com. I feel your pain. My local (20-30 mile radius) only have some Martin and D'Addario sets for mando.

Jamie - in the Philly burbs...
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I was buying strings from either Elderly Instruments or from First Quality Music online until Tony Williamson started carrying the same strings at the same price a half an hour away. If you're ordering online though it's a good idea to buy in bulk (let's you keep more of the discount you get from one of those stores--it doesn't cost much more to ship 10 sets of strings than it does to ship 1 set.)

Greg Henkle

2002 Prucha F5
    1962 Martin D18
    1965 Fender Telecaster

I live in Fort Worth and agree with the online recommendation. I don't make it over to Dallas very often, but I know that Charlie's has a nice rep in these parts. If you're closer to the Fort Worth area, Waco Vintage Instruments in Mansfield deals in mandolins a fair amount so they probably have a reasonable selection. Honestly, though, I think online (like juststrings.com) is your best bet for getting what you want at the best price. Order a few sets at a time to save money and they are quick to deliver...

Andrew Lewis
    Collings MT2, Tone Gard, Tortis Style C heavy, bootlace strap, J74s

or you could ask your family for Christmas and birthday Gift Cards from a website that sells musical stuff, like GuitarCenter.com, or musiciansfriend.com or the like.
    -Soupy1957
    Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

Elderly, juststrings.com, bigcitystrings.com, fqms.com and webstrings.com are the places I've used. I can find J-74s around here sometimes, but nothing else. I usually buy a bunch at a time to keep shipping costs down. Webstrings has free shipping after $12, I think.

I would speak to the manager of your local store and ask him if he'll stock the strings you want. Explain to him you would rather support his business than order online and he may be able and happy to accomodate you. Make sure you follow through on your purchases though.
    Steve

I buy some online, currently the Fire Wire, and locally for J74,J75, & GHS (Glenrose Music in Glenrose & Waco Vintage in Mansfield). Waco Vintage is fun 'cause John usually has a couple dozen decent to good mandolins on hand.

Where exactly is Waco vintage instruments? If it is in Mansfield, why on earth is it called "Waco"?

Quote Originally Posted by
    I would speak to the manager of your local store and ask him if he'll stock the strings you want. Explain to him you would rather support his business than order online and he may be able and happy to accomodate you. Make sure you follow through on your purchases though.
    I live in a relatively big city and experienced the same problem as The slacker. I went to my local music store and had them (Old Boise Guitars) order me 10 sets of my favorite strings...I saved a few bucks in shipping costs and helped out a store who has had to deal with the arrival of a Guitar Center supermarket store, that, tho full of untuned instruments that any 10 year old can pull off the wall and bang around, does seem to appeal to the majority of the market it seems. Support your local music store before its gone...
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Quote Originally Posted by (the slacker @ Jan. 13 2007, 14:54)
    Where exactly is Waco vintage instruments? #If it is in Mansfield, why on earth is it called "Waco"? #

LOL! Yes, I too see the irony in the name. But it is in Mansfield. I can't recall exaclty where in Mansfield, though.
    Andrew Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by (DeRoy @ Jan. 13 2007, 15:41)
    Quote Originally Posted by (the slacker @ Jan. 13 2007, 14:54)
    Where exactly is Waco vintage instruments? #If it is in Mansfield, why on earth is it called "Waco"? #

LOL! Yes, I too see the irony in the name. But it is in Mansfield. I can't recall exaclty where in Mansfield, though.
    Waco Vintage is on Business 287 (Main St) in Mansfield. It is owned by John Brinkman (one the three amigos that sponsor several nationwide guitar shows). Waco Vintage is only open from 12 - 5 during the week. John usually has lots of cool stuff, old and new. He is a long time vintage instrument trader and really knows his stuff.

I order online, First Quality, That way When I get a
    different mandolin, I can try different strings untill
    I find the right sound for that mandolin, my 96F5l
    sounds better with Bill Monroe, they are vacuum packed
    so they last new longer.

I went to Players yesterday in Hurst and found some GHS. THese are the first GHS I've come across.

I just thought about Craig's in Weatherford, too. They have a decent acoustic room and the owner is pretty inclined that direction so they might have a good selection of strings. I'd be remiss in not mentioning that I had a bad experience with them once (they were unnecessarily rude and I neither said or did anything to provoke it !?!), but that could have been an isolated incident (the guy could have just been dealing with a real jerk or something). They did lose my business, though...
    Andrew Lewis

I'm glad I could/can order strings, fine cases and James tailpiece online!
    "Bonjour chez vous!"
    Phil.
    Wondergrass
    MoonShine

I mean : It's VERY hard to find here...
    "Bonjour chez vous!"
    Phil.
    Wondergrass
    MoonShine

Quote Originally Posted by (DeRoy @ Jan. 14 2007, 15:31)
    I just thought about Craig's in Weatherford, too. They have a decent acoustic room and the owner is pretty inclined that direction so they might have a good selection of strings. I'd be remiss in not mentioning that I had a bad experience with them once (they were unnecessarily rude and I neither said or did anything to provoke it !?!), but that could have been an isolated incident (the guy could have just been dealing with a real jerk or something). They did lose my business, though...
    I've been there once and they were really nice to me. That is actually where I got turned on to the mandolin. This old man played one for me and taught me three chords. That experience is what caused me to get my first mandolin. Sorry you had troubles there...

I would sympathize, but I use Thomastiks, and there's really no place for me to get them but online, so that's what I've always done.

True, I have a backup set of Nanowebs that I picked up in Cincinnati on a trip, but in general, I order mine online. Just plan ahead...
    Schwab 5-string No.29 (1982)
    Old Wave C# No.311 (2003)
    Mann SEM-5 No. 60 (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by (the slacker @ Jan. 14 2007, 18:20)
    I've been there once and they were really nice to me. #That is actually where I got turned on to the mandolin. This old man played one for me and taught me three chords. That experience is what caused me to get my first mandolin. #Sorry you had troubles there...
    I'm glad they were good to you, and I'm sure that my one incident was just a one shot deal. It was over the phone, so I might have been talking to some schlub in a bad mood, not the owner. You're right, the owner is a good guy and loves to work with people. He was probably the one that helped you. (I guess my one experience just stuck with me as I was really insulted and needed to get it off my chest.) I would recommend them to others...
    Andrew Lewis