Thread: Eastman MD315, broken pin on tailpiece

Default Eastman MD315, broken pin on tailpiece

I went to grab my MD315 and saw a string hanging in front. What? The loop was still on the string…. I was trying to figure out how in the world the string could break in that manner, but quickly realized the string was intact but the pin on the tailpiece had broken off!

I could put a new e-string on, using the adjacent pin, but then if a pin failed with one string, how likely would it be to hold with two strings?

I searched for new tailpieces at my usual places - Elderly, StewMac, etc., but didn’t see anything interesting (and didn’t want to pay James price for this mandolin). I ended up buying a $15 tailpiece from Amazon. We’ll see if it is any good. I’ll just have to settle for my Kimble for now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0200.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	379.7 KB 
ID:	211993
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Default Re: Eastman MD315, broken pin on tailpiece

This happened to me in December with my 3 year old Eastman 305. Following someone's advice (here? reddit?) I wrote to Eastman support. They responded right away, asked for my serial and model, and then shipped me a replacement tailpiece within a week at no cost.

I was pretty impressed by the whole experience, so passing that along!

Get in contact with Eastman, I've seen multiple people report that they've been replaced for free.
    '91 Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A / Eastman MD-315

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Like others have said contact Eastman. Lifetime warranty.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Wow, thanks for the suggestions to contact Eastman!
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

This is an unfortunately common problem with the Eastman cast tailpiece. They are cast aluminum and the steel strings, especially the narrow E strings eventually cut trough them. Yes Eastman is great with sending out replacements but the problem will reoccur. They likely ought to move to bronze cast tailpieces. Recommendation would be to replace it with a higher quality tailpiece, however the mounting screws will not match the Eastman screw pattern. So you'll have to fill and drill for new screw locations. Allen cast tailpieces are excellent and are around $110. If you need to keep it as inexpensive as possible you could go with one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BNPHFYSJ

Name:	61yj6iLzlmL._AC_SL1006_.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	212014
    Best of luck with whatever route you go!

7. The following members say thank you to Tailwater Instruments for this post:

I sent an email to Eastman this morning. I can’t find my original paperwork for the mandolin, so not sure if I’ll be able to get warranty coverage. I bought this new from the Mandolin Store some years ago. I’m willing to pay for a new tailpiece if the replacement tailpiece I ordered from Amazon isn’t satisfactory.

Here’s what is coming tomorrow. Not expensive, so might be junk, but if so, not a big loss. If the original tailpieces are prone to breaking, then it might be worth trying this one (or something else). (I have James tailpieces on a couple of mandolins and don’t love them, so my usual willingness to pay more to get quality doesn’t work as well here. Getting the angle right on the James tailpiece over the body so that the cover will close correctly is a pain. My Kimble has a Weldon Lister engraved James tailpiece that doesn’t close right. I have another small-luthier mandolin that came with a James tailpiece and the angle on it isn’t right, either. The luthier apologized and said he hadn’t noticed. I tried to bend a bit but was afraid to bend too much - cover still doesn’t close right.)

Name:	IMG_0203.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	212015
    Doug Brock

Can't imagine that Will wouldn't fix that issue with the James tailpiece for you.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Winn View Post
    Can't imagine that Will wouldn't fix that issue with the James tailpiece for you.
    I bought the James tailpiece from Weldon Lister directly.
    Doug Brock