Thread: Long Neck vs. Short Neck Ovals

I have noticed that arch-top oval hole mandos tend to mostly fall into the long neck (15 frets to the cross-piece) and short neck (12 frets to the cross-peice) categories. Obviously, the long neck version gives you access to more frets. But I wondered if there was an advantage or a diffence in the sound with the short neck. In guitars, a shorter neck tends to put the bridge closer to the tailpiece and the tendency (certainly not true in every case) is that results in a mellower, sweeter sound.

I notice that on short neck mandos, the bridge tends to sit back father also. I am wondering if people have had a chance to compare tone between similar long neck and short neck mandos and if they have any observations about it.

I hope no one is offended, but I just wanted to keep this in "New Posts" one more day, hoping to get a reply. Anyone out there have any input? Thanks.

Well, the only input that I can add is that I would like to hear some opinions on this also. I have been wondering about this myself.

I have "short-neck" and two "long-neck" A models with f holes and a short-neck with oval hole (Gibson A4), but no "long-neck" A oval hole for comparison, but it would be hard to compare among brands, makers, age, etc. anyway. However, I do find my short-neck A, which really has a larger body (hence the shorter neck) does seem to have more power and volume than the "long-necks", but is not as sweet sounding, if that makes any sense to you. It's a fabulous instrument for Celtic and old time fiddle music, but probably wouldn't be popular with hard core bluegrassers. IMHO.
    Too many instruments...too little time

Hello Acetone, nice talking with you yesterday. Figured I'd chime in here with mostly useless information. Oval holes are such a rare breed and in the Philly area any quality mandolin is rare to begin with. So, I really have very little to compare my Sucek oval hole with. It's a long-neck. I've played a vintage Gibson A now and again but not back to back with it. I must say though the Sucek is the deepest voiced mandolin I've ever played. The F-hole, tone bar, punch is not there, nor do I expect it. Strummed chords are amazingly rich. It's a completely different sort of beast. Can't say tho how it would compare to a short neck.
    Wye Knot