Thread: Ebay warning!

Not that this needs one #- #but I am really tempted to bid on this one! What do you think!

# # Gibson mandolin f5 doyle lawson 2004 apral 16

You are biding on a very nice mandolin . This is not fore no bigener this is one off the finest mandolins in the world one of the best players i no owend it . It has a very deap rich woody sound it is asoum in blue grass it is very clean not mint it has ben played but tacken care of it very good

Item No: #220062850135

[B]

Linksmaker

Man..thats gotta be some kind of a joke...the man sure cant spell...and wheres the pics?

Let's see ... 0-feedback seller, and I swear I saw the same description a few months ago for an instrument purportedly located on Fox Island, Washington.

Bid for grins, maybe, but don't expect to get a mandolin.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I just emailed the seller saying that I lived nearby in Hillside Terrace and would like to come and inspect the mandolin. Let's see what he says.

Prob something like, the mandolin is in Jakarta, my cousin has it....

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

He emailed me back in english without the bad spelling saying he would sell it for $2000 and end it now. Send me several pics that looked like they were from a music store. He did not give me the serial # I asked for. here is his responce:

Hi Tom,

I'd like to sell it for $2,000 including shipping to buyer. Here are some pics. If you're still interested and you agree to my price than we may have a deal before the auction ends. I look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,

George Johnson

his email address:
    george_johnson117@yahoo.com
    Gibson A9
    Eastman 804D two point, blonde

Nothing is fool proof for a talented fool

Don't even think about it!

Blog Entries

2K for a Doyle Lawson?! Sign me up.

Unless you've recently sustained a brain injury from falling off a turnip truck, my advice is ... fuggedabowdit!

Curt in Jersey

Hukd on foniks werkd fer me! I think I'll bid real high on this mando and then send him Monopoly Money as payment

I already have a "Doyle Lawson" model anyway.
    Molon Labe

What a joke! Does anyone ever actually get tricked into buying things like this?
    Play, play, play!

Jacob Hawkins

yes more times then you think. Not every mandolin picker that wants a cheap Lawson reads the cafe! I asked for photos 2 days ago and still not heard a word from him. I guess I'll wait for that 2nd chance offer to come the day after it ends saying he's got 2 of them.

Post a link so we can all play, been a while since we bid one up to a million dollars!
    mick meinsler

Exclamation

LINK
    I could try and post his photos he gave me, quite a few and I do not want to host them. If anyone wants them I will forward his email with the pics.
    Gibson A9
    Eastman 804D two point, blonde

Nothing is fool proof for a talented fool

I must have alot of time on my hands to be bothering with this ahole. What a way to start a vacation!#1% of me thought that there was a chance. #Just thought I'd give #a try.

From me: #"I accept your price only if I can pick it up in person. I'm in NJ and can come to you today."

From George Johnson: # "Sorry about that but pick up is not an option. I own a coupon for 40% off with a local shipping co. and I'd like to make a profit out of it.

From me: #"Unless you agree to let me see the mandolin today I am not interested in further communication and I am going to be sending our correspondence to the county prosecutor as well as the FBI. #You are very transparent as a thief."
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by (Yellowmandolin @ Dec. 23 2006, 17:36)
    What a joke! #Does anyone ever actually get tricked into buying things like this?
    Yes. Some people are as dumb as stumps.

Interesting-
    In Nigeria, people have started to try to scam amercians and brits on ebay. The scamming has become so popular that Nigerian children are starting to learn how to do it in school.

My friend camped out to get a playstation3 to sell on ebay. He has received about 30 emails in horrible English asking for him to send the playstation because "the check is in the mail." Several people even had a mailing address in Nigeria.

The Moral- If they cant spell "awesome", they probably aren't awesome.
    Nuff said

So now the bidding ended with the "winner" clocking in at about $2500. Hmmm, wonder why the bidder names are private??? Ol' George Johnson sure knows how to sell fine instruments. We'll all be waiting for his next listing, possible a Rikee Scacks Undressed Muster Mulder. We'll keeep this seller on our fave list just waiting for the next bargain in fine instruments.

On a more serious note, I certainly hope that the winner is not headed for the calamity we all expect to see. Maybe their due diligence will kick in before they send the $$$$.