Thread: Just Had My First Lesson

Default Just Had My First Lesson

I just took my first lesson last weekend. The guy's an excellent mandolin player who's been teaching and playing for decades. We mostly played tunes for the hour so that he could see where I was at. I feel like I made a pretty poor impression because I was quite nervous and was flubbing up tunes that I have played flawlessly dozens of times in jams and onstage at open mics I do have a tendency to be intimidated (and hence, sweaty and nervous) when playing with someone new who I know is a very good player.

I didn't really learn anything from the hour long lesson. The one piece of practical advice he gave was that I play everything in first position and should expand my use of the fretboard, but I already was aware of this - it's actually one of the reasons I decided to take lessons. He also suggested I learn some songs. I didn't have the heart to tell the guy that if I'm just jamming with friends I could easily pull out 20-30 tunes but my nerves were such that I couldn't even remember the melody for Red Haired Boy or the words to All The Good Times

I'm hoping I'm more comfortable this weekend and play more like I normally do. I'm determined to stick with the guy for six months at a minimum. That should be in the realm of slightly over a dozen one hour lessons. If I feel we're just not connecting or I'm not learning enough for my money after six months then at that point at least I can say I gave lessons with the guy a fair shot. At the very least, I hope that spending an hour every other week playing one-on-one with an accomplished player will help to make me more comfortable in such a situation instead of the intimidated nervous-wreck I often become.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Just Had My First Lesson

oops
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I think you are smart in giving him a shot for six months.

I am not sure about connecting, and feeling comfortable. I took violin lessons for years, with someone I really liked, but I never felt comfortable during the lesson, and connecting really means can you tell him what you want to learn/work on, and can he respond and deliver.

Nerves during a lesson, oh yea. But first of all, it shows that how you do matters, and secondly, being nervous and doing it anyway is perhaps one of the lessons you can learn.

If all that happens after six months is you clarify exactly what you want to learn, how you want to be able to play, and what you want to be good at, well its money well spent.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Get a little portable digital recorder and record your lessons. I do and often hear something from the lesson that I initially missed or glossed over. It will give you much more value for your lesson dollars and I found that when "the tape is rolling" my lessons are much more focused and packed with information. By the way, I've been playing mandolin for 35 years, am largely self taught and have been taking lessons for about 2 years. This old dog is learning new tricks.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Another vote for recording your lessons!

Don't be nervous. He's working for you and wants to see you progress as much as you want to. Take a deep breath and don't think of anything but the music.

PS. On the other hand I've had lessons where I had to grasp something new and different and my playing got worse for a while but in the long run it was one step back than 5 steps forward.

That is similar to my experience with lessons. My teacher said pretty much nobody can play anywhere near their best at a lesson, but you will get a lot better at playing your tunes with your teacher and it might be worth it just for that.

And I agree you normally don't learn a ton at a lesson, just maybe a bit here and there. It is a good resource but you still have to get it done yourself.

The best learning tool I have is using slowdown programs and learning a tune by ear, but my teacher pushed me to do that so he get's some credit for that as well.

'Most everybody gets stage fright during lessons. But no worries, we're all good at something.

I think any reasonably able teacher is well aware of what happens to students who have to play before their teacher/new audience. You're probably a harder judge of yourself than he was. He was probably looking at stuff like your posture, hand position and breathing, and not paying quite as much attention to the notes as you think he was. It's all just part of the experience, though. You can always try closing your eyes next time you play for him and pretend you're with a couple of friends or alone in your practice room. That might help.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

My violin teacher is very comfortable and encouraging, never lets me go until she is sure I have learned or improved something,in our half hour sessions, she demands perfection or at least doing it right, lots of written remarks while we go through the session and written practicing instructions for the next session.
    I don't get embarrassed with her although she is a far better violinist than I.
    For me this is a excellent teacher, who gets results.