Thread: Rogue RM100F?

Question Rogue RM100F?

I know that Rogue mandolins are of notoriously shoddy workmanship, but I think all the comments I've seen on here have referred to the A-style $50 model. Does anyone know anything about the RM100F F-style $150 model? (http://folk-instruments.musiciansfri...lin?sku=519275)

I'm looking for a starter mandolin and, before I shell out $250 for the Kentucky 150S (which seems to be the most recommended beginner's mandolin on here), I wanted to see if there was another option.

Also, real quick, how does the Kentucky 140S compare to the 150S? Is there much of a difference?

Thanks!

Default Re: Rogue RM100F?

I own a Rogue RM100-A Style Mandolin, it was a gift from my wife about a year ago. I never played so she did not want to invest in an expensive Gibson until I decided I liked it. It sounds great but seems to be difficult to play on the first fret as if the nut is too high. However, I am no expert and could use some help on that issue. For the money, I think it is worth it and if you really enjoy playing treat yourself to a Gibson!

I got all psyched up to respond -- then realized this thread is 28 months old. Presumably the starter mandolin has been purchased by now...?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    I got all psyched up to respond -- then realized this thread is 28 months old. Presumably the starter mandolin has been purchased by now...?
    I'd still be interested in some thoughts on these lower end devices, and while I know the choice is very much personal and subjective all shared experiences are helpful imo.

This thread is old but the infos could help many looking for low end mandolins.
    The Rogue A style is definitely NOT a good mandolin. However, the Rogue RM100F is quite good as a low end mandolin. Here are some details.
    http://fstylemandolin.info/review-ro...tyle-mandolin/
    I have one and still enjoy playing it (alternating with the Ovation MCS-148).

How could you be so cruel! I love my $40 (after the discount) Rogue A that I got for nothing from my nephew who got it as a consolation prize for buying a guitar! Set-up is everything.
    So chi sono.

Thumbs up Re: Rogue RM100F?

Resurrected thread, I'll chime in. I used three Rogue RM100As as test models while writing my ebook on how to set up a mandolin. The ebook, by the way, is still free to all mandolincafe members. Email me at rob.meldrum@gmail.com for your free copy.

In every case I found the nut slots were too high, the bridge was too high, action too hard and intonation was off. After a thorough setup (every step is in the ebook, plus how to make your measurement tools and custom nut files for less than ten dollars) every mandolin played well and intonation was spot on.

One mandolin had some cloth shreds inside it which I cleaned out, and one had bent screws holding the tailpiece in, which I replaced. The tuners were inexpensive but work just fine. The strings weren't good so I replaced them in every case.

The finish was gorgeous on each one though the F holes showed some bare wood. I think that for a beginner you can learn how to set up a mandolin, have a nice player, and find out if you love the mandolin for less than $75.00 including strings and tools for the setup. If you love it you'll get MAS and start buying more expensive mandos in no time.

If you also play guitar, musiciansfriend has a combo package of their $99 guitar and the mandolin for... $99.00. Including shipping. The guitar also needs a setup and string replacement and sounds good considering the money. I keep one on my boat and keep another on a stand in our rec room so anyone can play with it and I don't have to worry about it getting damaged. It's an amazing bang for the buck.

Rob

Where's the cream? drjuliushibbert's Avatar

My first mandolin was a rogue from musicians friend - my mother bought it for me - musicians friend did not advertise that it was a "B" stock instrument with a poorly repaired neck - I suffered with it for a year before upgrading.

I'm just curious how different the A and F could be. I mean, they're both basically junk instruments, one just happens to come out of a machine that spits out F style mandos and the other out of a machine that spits out A models, right? Same factory floor, same manufacturing process, just slightly different parts, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Orr View Post
    ...one just happens to come out of a machine that spits out F style mandos and the other out of a machine that spits out A models, right? Same factory floor, same manufacturing process, just slightly different parts, right?
    Making an F-model requires more saliva.

Seriously, more detail work and higher price for the F-model. May lead to better design and/or materials. The more intricate construction of the scroll-and-points design may lead to someone spending more hands-on time with it.

"Junk instruments" is a little harsh. To some extent, one gets what one pays for, but as pointed out above, those willing to lavish additional after-market attention on cheap mandolins, can improve sound and playability. Worth the trouble? That's a personal decision.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM