Thread: Summit mandolins

I recently purchased a new Summit A-100. I really like this mandolin a lot. In less than a month, this mandolin has really "opened up" tremendously. It has great volume, #tone and playablilty. Any other Summit owners out there? I would really like to hear some comments.

I've played an F100 custom for about 4 years now and love it. It's an x-braced Engelman top with an amber finish. Finish quality is top notch and love the tone, great volume. Never had one single problem with it. I did replace the bridge and tailpiece and have had the frets dressed awhile back. Paul does a good job.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

one of the best sounding mandolins i played at gruhns (or the gibson showcase), was a summitt F-100. really nice mandolin and great fit and finish. definately worth the $2900 they were asking
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

I live near Gruhn's and go their often. I have played a number of the Summits. To me was a nice sounding mandolin with good fit and finish. Did not ring my bell, personally. For me to buy, the instrument has to seriously connect. It didn't.
    Tony
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I've got a great Summit F100SG! My instructor's Gibson sounded really good, but I think I've definitely got the better sound! This one stays with me!!
    T. J. Washburn

**If ever asked to give up something, I hope I never have to choose between music or chocolate!**

'02 Summit F100SG
    '04 Washburn F4 M-4SW
    No name (German made?) mando

I have a Summit Artist that I got from Mass Street Music several years ago. #It's from 1999 and it's just gorgeous!
    It's still opening up! #Just this last week, I was discussing with my friend how it's more open now than it's ever been. #I love it!

While I was still in my researching phase, I noticed that on his old website, it said that he used "transverse-X" bracing for his mandos.
    I called Paul up and asked him about it and he was somewhat miffed that I could imagine anything but tone bars being in the Artist model!

All kidding aside, this is one serious instrument – one which I will cherish for the rest of my life and surely pass on to someone else. #Right after I got it, I had the good fortune of getting a private lesson with Radim Zenkl. #When we started he said, "Oh, now, what's this little beauty?" #I told him who made it, etc. and he offered to swap mandos for a while. #I got to play his very-played-in Capek F5 with the wide fingerboard and he jammed on my Summit for a bit before we got started. #He said he liked it and we got on to the lesson. #After a great lesson, he told me to keep playing it because it needed to be played and it would not be nice to the poor mando to let it sit. #I wish he could hear it today!

Cheers!

*Oh yeah, I've gotten to compare it to some of the fine mandos at Mandolin Bros. (Bruett, Collings, Apitius, etc.) and some of the first Collings to make it to Mass Street and I have to say, it holds its own! #I recently had a friend A/B it with his Gilchrist and he said the Artist model didn't have as complex a tone as the Gilchrist but he preferred the Summit's playability and response.
    Alright!

Brad Maestas
    Summit Artist F5 #132 (02/99)
    Charles F. Morrison OM #108
    Schertler DYN/PRE/PUBs

I have a Summit F-200S that I bought a few years ago used from Gruhn for about $3500. I was playing on all the mandos there one day and this one spoke to me and I was sold on it. Took it home that day (with a little dent in the credit card)! It has a very loud, crisp tone with good mids and trebles. And it plays easier than just about any mando I have played. I recently played some Collings mandos and an Ellis. I would say the Summits are on par with the Collings and slightly less than an Ellis. Of couurse the Collings were $6-7K and the Ellis was $11K. I think for $3K for the SUmmit it is a steal. He should raise his prices. I will likely keep my Summit until I die, then pass it on to my kids.

"I think for $3K for the SUmmit it is a steal. He should raise his prices. "

That's what folks say AFTER they've bought something.

Curt

I thought it was a steal BEFORE I bought it. Thats why I took it home the day I played it.

My mandolin is a Summit F100S from Mass Street Music, it has the sound I want, maple flame is beautiful and the workmanship is really good. MAS ended with this acquisition.
    Dave

I have an F100 as well. I picked it up at Mountain Music Shoppe a couple of years ago. #My first major mandolin acquisition. #I am very pleased with it.