Thread: Indian and Middle Eastern Music

Does anyone know a good place to find some good Indian or Middle Eastern mandolin music? Either recordings, midi, or notation.

Thanks,
    Chris

Thumbs up

For Indian music on the mandolin, SRINIVAS who has some solo recordings and works with John McLaughlin in the recent versions of Shakti. Prepare to be stunned. He was a monster at a very early age and just gets deeper and more amazing with time.
    John McGann, Associate Professor, Berklee College of Music
    johnmcgann.com
    myspace page
    Youtube live mando

I just got a book entitled "An Introduction to South Indian Music" by Charlie Mariano which has a bunch of tunes in the Carnatic style which is the style of Indian music that U. Srinivas plays. The tunes are in western notation and not specific to any instrument. I bought the book from Elderly for $14.20 I believe.
    I bought some CDs by Snehasish Mozumder after seeing his name mentioned on this board-
    "Mandolin Dreams" and "Different Strokes"- on which he plays North Indian music on an accoustic mandolin accompanied by a tabla. He also has a CD called "Worship-An Unique Indian Classical Soiree" which is an ensemble effort with a bunch of different Indian instruments on it. I like this CD a lot. The mandolin is only featured on a couple of tracks on this CD. Mozumder also plays 12 string accoustic guitar and even a little bit of banjo on one track. I got these CDs at Amazon.com.

Any of you working on Hindustani ragas on the mandolin. I find that if I drop the E string to a D and do fast crosspicking it functions as a nice drone or "chikari" string and gives a nice sitar like sound. Of course this is on an electric solidbody mando with single strings so I can bend notes nicely. We had an earlier thread going a few months ago about U Srinivas and mandolin in the Indian classical music traditions.