Here I was with my last set of EXP stings all set to go when one of the "E" strings broke.
I hate to waste a whole new package (which I did not in fact have at hand) only to capture one string.
Close inspection discovered a tiny burr on the offending winding peg and it was easily repaired.
I had a roll of stainless steel music wire (0.011) from mcmaster.com.
In a pinch I cut off a length.
I made a loop on one end using a small drill rod to hold while I twisted ten times while I held the wire with small smooth jaw pliers (no $50 looping tool is needed).
When I tuned the strings, I can not detect any difference between the EXP "E" and the ordinary music wire. It is still good after a week.
Even if I have to change the music wire due to stretching and change of tone the investment for one string was about three cents. (a quarter pound of 0.011 has 750 ft which costs about $11).
Now if I can only figure out how to overcome the high cost of the wrapped strings (: