I have used the ABS binding on several mandolins and it does work, but I don't like it. I made a rig from a teflon block similar to what StewMac sells and glue the strips together with acetone (they have a tutorial on this at their web site). It does work, but too little acetone and it comes apart and too much and it melts the black (I use w/b/w) and makes it thin. You have to let it dry for a day for best results before you use it. Then with no heat, I bend it slowly over different size wooden dowels to make it take the shape I want. I glue it on with Weldon 16 and that sicks it on great. You can hold it in place with your finger until it sets (very quick with weldon 16) or tape it. Now and then a piece comes apart when you bend it and if used too soon and bent the inner black strip can wrinkle and you have to start again. To me the whole thing is a big pain, but you can get it to work.
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect.