Thread: The right tools for the job

There are several threads in which folks are asking for alternatives to the admittedly somewhat expensive specialty luthiers' tools we get from LMI, StewMac, etc. Well, many of us started in the dark ages when there were precious few special tools made outside of those for the violin making trade. So, yes, you can use hardware store tools for a lot of jobs. But, and this is a big but(t)...the specialty tools now available make the work so much easier and aid in greater accuracy that I just don't see the point in hacking instruments up with the wrong tools. Nut slotting files aren't that expensive, for instance, if you're serious about DIY instrument adjustments. Neither is a modern fret crowning tool. If you learn to use these and other tools correctly, then you'll pay for the tools inside of a year doing your own work. Yes, some of us can do nut slots rocking a razor saw and with a couple of jeweler's files, but I'd rather use my StewMac files now that I have them. They do a better job.

Of course you can screw things up with good tools too, making for nice job security for folks like Paul Hostetter! But don't cheap out on funky tools, especially for working on nice instruments.

Rick, you are absolutely right. It is much easier to complete a job using appropriate tools than trying to get it done with cheap or makeshift tools. Any profession will have special tools, and for good reason. When I first purchased a finger plane I thought it was expensive, and so didn't buy any others for years. I just used that one small plane for ALL the jobs until finally I was looking at a stack of mandolin backs to carve. If you have only one back to carve you can probably get through it with just about any cutting edge tool, but when you are faced with a veritable mountain of work that would be tantamount to shoveling a mountain with a spoon, well, you tend to find a quicker and easier method. I bought both larger and smaller finger planes, and work got a bit easier. The result was so encouraging that I bought a couple flat bottom finger planes too. Now I wish I had got them all many years ago. The same goes for chisels, get good ones and LEARN HOW TO SHARPEN THEM PROPERLY.

Some special tools are designed for production work, and for the "weekend warrior" type of luthier you probably shouldn't spend lots of money on such items, but for the professional maker or repair tech you can easily justify the good tools if they fit into your style of work.

Rick,

I've just started building instruments (only a year or two), but decided several months ago that if I wanted to seriously pursue it, I did need to buy the appropriate tools. So every couple of weeks, I now make an order to Stewmac or other luthier supply company to build up my tool collection. Fret slotting files, crowning tools, dressing files, dremel bits for binding, finger planes, 3-D sander, Safe-T Planer and Swiss made gouge. And it already has made many tasks SO MUCH easier and precise.

And I've learned the importance of keeping your tools sharp - just makes building a whole lot easier.

Though, I still get some of my tools from Harbor Freight - for some things they do the job well enough and there's one just a few miles from my house... I'll upgrade my power tools in the future, but for speciality luthier tools, I agree - don't skimp.

Nice to see a post on this subject - makes me feel better about spending the extra money to get some decent tools. Thanks!

Rick Torzynski
    Torzyn Musical Instruments

Problem is though, I make mainly violins and am trying my hand at a mandolin (and a guitar). Until I know if I am going to persue these I cannot afford to buy all the special tools. Also, shipping to South Africa can more than double to cost of those tools.

I do know though, that special tools for violin making are invaluable.
    music enthusiast

special tools are great if you're going to make it a long term hobby (or if you're doing repairwork for payment).

It's amazing what you can "get away with" if you're only going to build one. and I guess until you've dipped a toe in the water you don't know if you're gonna want to try another build.

I'm like mandolinrick and I'm building up a collection of tools, clamps etc, but I'm finding that there are tools that I paid hard earned cash for that I've used once.....
    Quote Originally Posted by stout1
    Now, thanks to Martin and his guitar shaped mandola, I have been stricken with GBMAS, guitar body mandola acqusition syndrome
    hey!! I got my own Syndrome!!!!

I'm the kind that will try to get by with whatever I can possibly devise on a one or two time deal, providing I'm sure the end result will be good.

Beyond that, however, if I see that I need a tool today, but also realize I could or would be using it repetitively later on, I'm all for buying the very best I can afford, because in most cases, I look at tool purchases as a lifetime investments, normal wear excluded.

Ron
    My wife says I don't pay enough attention to what she says....
    (Or something like that...)

Agreed. #For one-time or non-critical use, I'll look to improvise something. For repeated use, I'll look to purchase the best tool I can afford. #"Buy it once" is my guiding principle.

On the subject of sharpening, this is my all time favorite reference. #It is very straightforward, clear, and covers just about any tool you can imagine: #

http://www.leevalley.com/wood....09&ap=2
    Clark Beavans

Keep in mind there is a long tradition in lutherie, boat building, and other woodworking in making specialized tools. You've still got an investment; there's the time scraping together quality materials (high quality tool steel and such) and the time to make the tool. For someone starting out on a shoestring with more time than $$$ this is a good option, and it's nice to have something you've made yourself that fits your hand. There are a number of good books on the subject, some specific to lutherie such as the GAL Lutherie Tools compilation. A good quality home-made tool can last several lifetimes just like a high quality manufactured tool, but some you're certainly better off buying.

Paul Doubek
    "... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

But making good tools can require more skill than using them!

Your point is a good one, but an added benefit of learning to make your own tools is gaining an understanding of how to maintain your commercial tools. Don't get me wrong... I appreciate good quality tools whether they're new, rehabbed "antiques", or user made/modified.

pd
    "... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

My favorite reference on making tools: the Complete Modern Blacksmith, by Alexander G. Weygers. #It's an instruction manual for making all kinds of tools (and other items) out of scrap steel and found materials. #A man after my own heart!

Not necessarily appropriate for lutherie, but it could be. I like it because it opened my eyes to the possibility of making tools I can actually use out of steel items that would otherwise be junk. And it helps you learn to recognize the quality of the steel in such items.
    Clark Beavans

I build most of my own tools, I used to be a aviation structures mechanic in the Naval service, I learned about metals and their use when going to schools, I used to work in a forge and foundry part time, and made chisels out of hardened steels, and learned different techniques in making tools for my own use.
    I used the luthiery tools book that I bought from stew mac years ago for idea,s. some of them I put to good use, some I didnt use. I like going to the swapo meert here and buying old rusty tools and cleaning them up and sharpening planes and other tools and putting them to good use. I cant believe all you intelligent people out there that doesnt use your yankee inginuity, getting things to work for you,, I bet i get flamed for that,, If you have the money and want to waste it then go for it but I will stick with some few tools I have made. and a few I got at trade meets...........Dennis in Arizona
    DENNIS RUSSELL

I started doing repair work full time in 1972. At that time there was not much in the way of specialized repair tools. Don Teeter's 2 books on repair were the first books available to me with photos and ideas on specialized tools and jigs that one could make, plus ideas about repair that I hadn't considered. We've come a long way since then and I have almost a museum of Stew-Mac specialized tools that have come along to make life easier and still use most of them. I agree with Rick and others when saying, buy the tools and get on with it. If you're going to build and want to recreate the craft of hand building, then go fell the tree, split, let it air dry for a few years and do one by hand, but if you're serious about repair work, buy the right tools. Kenc
    Cartwright's Music & Repair Shop
    "I repair what others sell"
    Stayton, Oregon

Does this mean I shouldn't use my chain saw anymore for slotting the nut? #Darn!
    Don
    http://www.donkawalek.com
    "The only thing achieved in life without effort is failure."
    Dum Vixi Tacui Mortua Dulce Cano

I've got a "like new" string winder attachment for a chainsaw if you're interested.

Ron

For those thinking they may only use the tools once or twice, sell them after you're done with them.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

...and about then is when you'll need it again.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by (dennis russell @ Oct. 18 2006, 23:58)
    I like going to the swapo meert here and buying old rusty tools and cleaning them up and sharpening planes and other tools and putting them to good use. I cant believe all you intelligent people out there that doesnt use your yankee inginuity, getting things to work for you,, I bet i get flamed for that,, If you have the money and want to waste it then go for it but I will stick with some few tools I have made. and a few I got at trade meets.
    While I enjoy "rust hunting" and DIY tool making, I certainly don't think it's a waste of money to buy the right tool from a supplier. As I stated in my original post... you pay either way with time or money. My suggestion was for a person on a budget but with time to learn the craft of tool making there are plenty of tools they can make themselves. Building tools doesn't directly help you get hands-on skills at building instruments so if folks have the money to buy tools and hit the ground running, more power to them. The bottom line is that you need the right tools to do good work and quality tools, whether home made or purchased, are worth the investment.

I often times wish I had the intelligence to make better "make vs. buy" decisions... I would probably be a lot more productive.

Paul Doubek

Great thread!

I cannot afford all the special Stewmac tools, nor can I be bothered to read all the instructions to try and figure out how they work...give me a chisel, sharpening stones and violin purfling cutter anyday!!!

I can understand how it can make life easy for the guitar builder, I really appreciate that. But being a practical type, could I use those special tools for other jobs? I guess not.

I would love to know whether the internet rumour of the spanish guy who build a classical with a set of knives is true or not. If it's true, then what a skilled individual he is.

Quote Originally Posted by (Sam price @ Oct. 25 2006, 08:44)
    I would love to know whether the internet rumour of the spanish guy who build a classical with a set of knives is true or not. If it's true, then what a skilled individual he is.
    Just the other day I heard of a teenager who built a mandolin with a machete and a pocket knife.
    Saving my 2 cents for a dollar.