Page 206 of 296 FirstFirst ... 106156181202203204205206207208209210231256 ... LastLast
Results 5,126 to 5,150 of 7397

Thread: Bowlbacks of Note

Default Re: Bowlbacks of Note

I would have thought that 1000 Euro for that Calace is a pretty good deal as long as the repair is straightforward. Unlike Mick, I'm not a big fan of the looks of that particular period in the Calace shop, but this is clearly not an entry-level instrument and it comes from the period when the Calace reputation was at its highest, with only Embergher as serious competitors at the time. It should be the equivalent of an Embergher No. 2 or 3 in value, and they tend to be rather more than 1000 Euro.

At least the fancier of the Calace mandolins were high-end concert instruments at the time. I've posted a clip of Mario de Pietro on a similarly-appointed Calace in 1943 before in another thread. Here is the link again (you may have to click through an annoying ad first to get to the video):

Link

De Pietro's instrument is clearly a Calace and looks pretty similar to the one on Ebay, except that it has the strange individual "finger" fretboard extensions like the Classico has now.

Martin

The Calace in question is a pretty high-end instrument from a good period. While my tastes run to a less nouveau look, the instrument is of a quality to deserve considerably more than 1000 euro, IMO. Without going thru a pile of CDs, I think someone of note did a disc of Calace preludes using a Calace mandolin of very similar appearance.

Right, Bob! I can think of at least two CDs - one by Gertrud Tröster and one by Elena Olenchyk. They both use a very similar Calace mandolin in their recordings (Calace preludes and some other original Calace works).

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Here's Gertrud with a Calace, though I'm not sure if this is the one Plami is referring to. I have always enjoyed most regional manifestations of what is sometimes generalized here as Art Nouveau. The Catalan version in architecture and interior design being my ultimate favorite. Don't get me wrong, I'm a dedicated Modernist (with a capital M) in my own life and work. The sublime sound and design of my Martin is closer to my heart.

A question to Plami (and Victor, out there somewhere)? Were there local variants of the 'Art Nouveau' east of the Adriatic? I'm familiar with the Viennese and Prague manifestations, but know little of this era in SE Europe.

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	510eMWXVgXL._SS500_.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	63461  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    A question to Plami (and Victor, out there somewhere)? Were there local variants of the 'Art Nouveau' east of the Adriatic? I'm familiar with the Viennese and Prague manifestations, but know little of this era in SE Europe.
    Quite frankly, I wouldn't trust my compatriots with ANYthing nouveau, unless formica-marquetry is to one's taste ;-)

On the other hand, I did in fact once compose two Jugendstil songs (on Rilke) for a German-Swiss tenor. But I digress, both aesthetically and otherwise...

OK, back to those loose ends that need my attention, pre-departure.

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

What do you think about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Giordano View Post
    A little too glitzy for my taste. I like the well-made but stately looking, well playing instruments. The brand is a decent mid-range Italian tho. It might need a bunch of work, tho.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Glitzy is the word. I was curious to see if it was a decent brand.

Thanks

Here's Gertrud with a Calace, though I'm not sure if this is the one Plami is referring to. I have always enjoyed most regional manifestations of what is sometimes generalized here as Art Nouveau. The Catalan version in architecture and interior design being my ultimate favorite. Don't get me wrong, I'm a dedicated Modernist (with a capital M) in my own life and work. The sublime sound and design of my Martin is closer to my heart.

Mick
    Hi Mick,

This is exactly the CD i was talking about.

While i'm aware of some architecture and fine art examples of "Art Nouveau" in Bulgaria in the beginning of XX. century, i'm afraid that i have to ask some professional musicians in order to find out whether the Jugendstil has also influenced the music and which are the composers representatives of that style. It may take a while, but if i find out something i will let you know.

Best,
    Plamen

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    A little too glitzy for my taste. I like the well-made but stately looking, well playing instruments. The brand is a decent mid-range Italian tho. It might need a bunch of work, tho.
    I do like these elaborate mariposa/farfalla pickguards. Marvelously weird tradition. I have never played a MOP fretboard but it kind of creeps me out in a fingernails-on-blackboard kind of way. They were popular out of Chicago as well, it seems. "Presentation Grade" I think was the term back then; which I also get a kick out of. Can you imagine President Barack 'presenting' a mandolin to Mme Sarkozy on the next state visit to France? Awesome.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

On a practical note, I believe that MOP fretboards are more difficult to refret or at least you have to be more careful not to chip the pearl.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Can you imagine President Barack 'presenting' a mandolin to Mme Sarkozy on the next state visit to France? Awesome.
    Most elegantly appropriate, too, if I had any say on the matter ;-)

Cheers,

Victor

Here's one certainly of interest: Double cutaway German bowlback, sort of Wappen bowlback.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wappenbowl_back.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	63767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wappen_bowl.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	63768   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wappenbowl_fullbk.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	63769  

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Here's one certainly of interest: Double cutaway German bowlback, sort of Wappen bowlback.
    Blllchch! it seems to be a well-made ugly mandolin. i did not know that such exists.

"Blllchch" -- I did not know that I knew that word in Dutch.

It is strange, tho I have seen other odd mandolins, not exactly graceful to me but not so ugly. Maybe it just needs a good home and love.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

You are right, right instrument on the right (loving and caring) place...
    Blllchch is just an onomatopee. ( if this is a right English word.)

Quote Originally Posted by Margriet View Post
    ...(if this is a right English word.)
    For the record, it is a Greek word. Not "blllchch", the other one.

It pains me (a bit) to see industry wasted on ugliness. But who am I to say? To invert this whole syllogism, perhaps I am even more saddened by good-looking, yet shoddily crafted instruments— plenty of those out there, too!

Cheers,

Victor

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

OK, here's one for the brains trust. Just spent the day with mando type things in the Stearns Collection at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor and found this one. It is a bowl back 12 string (6x2) mandolin with 21 fluted rosewood ribs. and these strange combination of soundholes. The ebony fret board is flat, but scolloped between the frets. It has a hand written label of 'Luigi Embergher, Roma 1890' as well as something which could well be COSTRUTTORE D' STRUMENTI ARMONICI, but handwritten and indistinct, that Alex T mentions on the Embergher site on labels from around that period. It is fitted with gut and (I think) wound over gut strings. The tuners are normal on the back, but the posts come through two plates attached to the front of the head. Might it be some strange double course Milanese/Lombardic mandolin or something I don't know about at all

cheers

graham

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Emberger2.JPG 
Views:	335 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	63773Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Embergher 1.JPG 
Views:	294 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	63772

Graham... glad to hear that you are in the US. That is one strange Embergher. Possibly one of the earliest. According to Leenen and Pratt the workshop opened in 1880 in Arpino but by 1890 moved to Roma. That bears little resemblance to other Emberghers even early ones. Maybe it was a one-off custom. Do you have additional photos?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Here are the other pics I took of the Embergher. So many instruments, so little time, so it is not as well documented as it might be. One interesting thing is that it has an odd number of ribs and I thought that the Roman instruments usually had even numbers. Perhaps that was a later development. The scratchplate is leaf shaped, inlayed into the soundboard and looks like ebony with a greenish cast.

cheers

graham

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Embergher5.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	63796Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Embergher4.JPG 
Views:	205 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	63797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Embergher3.JPG 
Views:	209 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	63798

No disrespect intended... but if that's an Embergher, I'll eat my plectrum... :-)

Best,

Eric
    "The effect is pretty at first... It is disquieting to find that there are nineteen people in England who can play the mandolin; and I sincerely hope the number may not increase."

- George Bernard Shaw, Times of London, December 12, 1893

I make no claims about the instrument one way or the other. The label is handwritten and is dated 1890 which fits in with the time the Stearns collection was being acquired. The University of Michigan got the collection around 1900 (or a little after) when I could see no reason for anyone to want to fake an Emberger, though the collection have several quite obvious fakes that an imaginative Italian forger (who'se name escapes me at the moment) had conned Stearns into buying. I will send the pics onto Loresnzo Lippi when I get home and see if he can shed any light on the mystery.

cheers

graham

Quote Originally Posted by etbarbaric View Post
    ... if that's an Embergher, I'll eat my plectrum... :-)
    While I share your skepticism, I must, as a friend, also warn you that the appropriate Roman plectrum poses a dreadful choking hazard.

Cheers,

Victor

Quote Originally Posted by vkioulaphides View Post
    While I share your skepticism, I must, as a friend, also warn you that the appropriate Roman plectrum poses a dreadful choking hazard.
    indeed ... before making a pledge like that it would do well to insert the plectrum in the rectum to check for size.

Hi Graham,

I don't have an axe to grind either... just skeptical.

As we know, labels in instruments are funny things. Stick in a prominent name and suddenly an instrument takes on new mystery and value. Labels are often wrong for all kinds of reasons... usually related to money. I will never forget the lady on "Antiques Roadshow" who was just sure her Stradivarius violin was genuine and priceless. After all, the famous maker had labeled the instrument as being dedicated to his wife (or was it sister?)... who's name was apparently "Facibat Anno"... :-)

Regarding the Italian forger, are you perhaps thinking of Leopoldo Franciolini? He built a career around building faked antique instruments... and they often had very exotic and compelling labels with very early dates. For the most part his creations were completely unplayable... but they sure looked old. Many museums and collections were duped by his fakes, to their later embarrassment. Recent scholarship has revealed that he employed none other than 19th-century mandolin makers to build some of these fabrications.

I'm just saying that we always have to look at the instrument to see if it fits with its claimed maker, geography, and time. I am fortunate to own an Embergher from 1899, and it looks nothing like this (the F-holes are *much* bigger... :-) :-) :-))

Best,

Eric

ps - Speculating wildly, I suppose it is always possible that someone took the back and affixed label (perhaps broken) of a legitimate Embergher and added the other more whimsical bits. A good look at the back would help decide this, as would a good look at the label. Embergher's labels and signature are well known by authorities such as our Alex.
    "The effect is pretty at first... It is disquieting to find that there are nineteen people in England who can play the mandolin; and I sincerely hope the number may not increase."

- George Bernard Shaw, Times of London, December 12, 1893