Page 133 of 297 FirstFirst ... 3383108129130131132133134135136137158183233 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,325 of 7403

Thread: Bowlbacks of Note

Quote Originally Posted by (jgarber @ July 02 2007, 11:19)
    Hi Ralf:
    So did the Embergher workshop add the zero-fret later after 1909 (I don't have your book handy here)? Why did they do that?

Jim
    There are quite a few advantages to a zero fret (the Embergher workshop even added a zero fret to some older instruments when they came back for repair or maintenance):

- a more accurate datum for the strings (faster production too)
    - equal tone quality on both open strings and fretted notes
    - no problems with strings getting stuck in a nut with slots that are just slightly too narrow, or buzz problems when the slots are just slightly too wide.
    - when the zero fret wears (if it wears at all) you simply replace it. Making a new nut (and nuts without zero fret do wear!) takes much more time (= much more expensive)

But as I said ... a very accurately made nut without zero fret can of course work fine ... it's just less practical, less durable, and often less accurate.

At the current price of 25 Pounds with 12 hours to go, this de Meglio clone looks a good deal. Of course, some clones are closer to the real thing than others and it's difficult to say whether this is one of the coarse ones or not.

That's actuall cheaper than this Fratelli Frati, which looks like somebody decided the soundhole was too small and cut it a bit larger...

A rather strikingly decorated Puglisi, with a strangely thin fretboard extension. Made in 1917, in the middle of World War I.

This Loveri might also be quite nice. Very similar to one that passed through my hands a couple of years ago and was a thoroughly delightful instrument.

Dave Hynds has a de Meglio clone, too, this Carlo Rinaldi. I own one of these (on permanent loan to a friend who plays it in a rock band!) and it's a raucous little beast.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by (jgarber @ July 02 2007, 16:48)
    That one, Fliss, would be a good possibility if you have the money for it.
    Jim, you're no help at all What makes it particularly tempting is, as with the one Ralf was selling, that it comes from a reputable source and won't need any work doing.

However, I am going to have to stick to my resolve on this, tempting though it is. I love the tone of my Calace, and I need to stick with that one for a while and give it a fair chance before deciding whether it will be my keeper or not.

Fliss

Well, I love the tone of Calace instruments too, but you may find that a variety of instruments provides you with a broad tonal palette. And backup instruments always come in handy. You might break a string, for example. And of course you'll find economies of scale; strings last much longer if you rotate among mandolins.

If you find yourself short of excuses, feel free to consult this board - it's why we're here (and broke).

Quote Originally Posted by (Bob A @ July 04 2007, 17:22)
    If you find yourself short of excuses, feel free to consult this board - it's why we're here (and broke).
    Thanks Bob!

Fliss

Blog Entries

Seen this one? Look at 54M. Its a Ferrari.

I just always wanted a sticker on my case that said: "My other mandolin is a Ferrari."

http://www.hapmoore.com/images/july0...struments.html

A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

After never having seen a Lanfranco mandolin before I recently had one pass briefly through my hands, there are now two on e-bay, one virtually identical to the one I had but if anything in even better condition, the other a little less decorated and definitely not such good condition.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Antique-Bowl-Back-Mandolin_W0QQitemZ260135844316QQihZ016QQcategoryZ1 0179QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIt

em" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Antique....iewItem</a>

(Edit - sorry I can't seem to get the link to work but it's Item number: 260135844316 on ebay UK)

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Antique-Bowl-Mandolin-Achille-Lanfran-Zigli-Naples-a-f_W0QQitemZ250139368815QQihZ015QQcate

goryZ10179QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Antique....iewItem</a>

Also yet another De Meglio, in need of some TLC:

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gav-Giovanni-De-Meglio-E-Figlio-Naples-1896-Signed_W0QQitemZ110146408191QQihZ001QQcategory

Z10179QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gav-Gio....iewItem</a>

And a very decorative Il Globo:

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLD-IL-GLOBO-ITALIAN-ROUNDBACK-MANDOLIN_W0QQitemZ200126239465QQihZ010QQcategoryZ1 0179QQrdZ

1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLD-IL-....iewItem</a> #

Fliss

Here is that first Lafranco

And, while we are at it, a hole-in-the-head Calace (undetermined age -- 1920s?) from Australia. This one is esp interesting with a small ball of ivory in the hole.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks Jim.

That Calace looks nice, I must say.

Here's a curiosity on ebay UK, billed as "Sistema De meglio" and it even says that on the label, but with nothing in common with the De Meglio system as far as i can see:

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLD-CASED-ITALIAN-NAPOLI-MANDOLIN-in-need-of-repair_W0QQitemZ120139448937QQihZ002QQcategor
    yZ10179QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLD-CAS....iewItem</a>

Fliss

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Fliss,

I'm never too clear on my prepositional usification (in any language) but maybe this might be a bit of clever marketing implying simply "Better (or Best) System" as well as a reference to the de Meglio operation.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Interesting look on this German bowlback. No cant, and a small longitudinal soundhole together with an elegant-looking slender headstock. I wonder whether this may actually be a mandola -- there is no info on scale length.

1963 Calace.

This De Meglio needs a new bridge, but looks OK otherwise (although the poor photos may hide some sins).

Martin

"Interesting look on this German bowlback."

It would appear to be 78cms long, so you were right Martin.
    Dave
    No such thing as a dead mandolin!

www.mandolinluthier.com
    www.crumbles.info
    Facebook: search Dave Hynds ... its me with the mandolin!!

Quote Originally Posted by (martinjonas @ July 09 2007, 07:58)
    Interesting look on this German bowlback. No cant,
    I don't know how you can tell that there is no cant from those pics. It look like it might have a subtle one.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hmmm... Maybe. To me it just looks like a flat board, but that can admittedly be difficult to tell on a plan view. I also think that the cant, if there is one, should be included on the close-up aroudn the brand stamp and I can't see it there either.

Martin

An (alleged) Vinaccia from another seller in Uruguay. I am not so sure that this is even a Vinaccia since the seller only shows a fragmented label saying Fratelli. It is a fluted bowled instrument tho, obviously from Naples.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

So what are the chances that the head on this de Meglio is original?? Dave #
    <a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Antique-Mandolin-Giovanni-de-Meglio-NAPLES-1897-NAPOLI_W0QQitemZ120140958706QQihZ002QQcate
    goryZ10179QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">here</a>

www.mandolinluthier.com
    www.crumbles.info

Here is a Giuseppe Vinaccia. #No bids at 100 Pounds with under two days to go. #Still, I expect this one to go up, even if it's a no-feedback seller. #My own Giuseppe Vinaccia is a very nice instrument. #Somewhat quiet, but exceptionally mellow and subtle tone, almost like a nylon-strung instrument. #This one looks slightly fancier, and (unusually for any Vinaccia) has a slotted headstock. #Seeing the label would probably be handy.

Another Calace-esque Puglisi. Didn't we have a virtually identical one a few weeks ago?

This German bowlback is vaguely Embergher-esque and looks well-made, but doesn't come close to matching the subtle elegance of the Embergher recurve.

Martin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (martinjonas @ July 16 2007, 09:09)
    Another Calace-esque Puglisi. #Didn't we have a virtually identical one a few weeks ago?
    What is that mark below the bridge on the treble side?
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by (JeffD @ July 16 2007, 17:02)
    Another Calace-esque Puglisi. Didn't we have a virtually identical one a few weeks ago?
    What is that mark below the bridge on the treble side?
    Just a brand mark. Quite common in Italian (and German) bowlbacks.

And yes, we did have it a couple of weeks ago
    here: no bids at 169 Pounds.

Martin

I somebody is looking for a high-quality bowlback (octave) mandola, and is quick off the mark, here is a Herwiga Solist at 245 Euro with under one hour to go. I've never played one, but these "onion" Herwigas have a fabulous reputation!

Martin

Here is a Giuseppe Vinaccia. #No bids at 100 Pounds with under two days to go. #Still, I expect this one to go up, even if it's a no-feedback seller. #My own Giuseppe Vinaccia is a very nice instrument. #Somewhat quiet, but exceptionally mellow and subtle tone, almost like a nylon-strung instrument. #This one looks slightly fancier, and (unusually for any Vinaccia) has a slotted headstock. #Seeing the label would probably be handy.
    Ooomph! I think I need to reassess my thoughts on the value of my Giuseppe Vinaccia. Even with a no-feedback seller, and with a never-fulfilled promise of additional photographs to come, this one sold for 1220 Pounds (around $2500) after a flurry of last-minute bids.

Martin

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Sit on your stock, Martin. This is very good for you (and others.) What was it last year? Prada, Guicci? that was hanging in CDeGaulle? The bowlback thing may be riding deep, deep.

Y'all who got in early on these bowlback IPOs should be justifiably able to gloat a bit. (At least I hope the values hold up for you.) All I have is a pair of pretty modest Italian bowls but they do sound so, so good. I can only imagine the rarified air that you guys are able to fly in. It must be very nice.

These are great instruments to track along on the ebay.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Don't give up hope, Mick. Bargains abound. (I'd be tempted on the Puglisi, myself, if it didn't need repair and thr shipping weren't so high. And if I weren't already buried beneath too many bowlbacks.)

Anyone spotted this Vinaccia, 9 hours left if you have a spare £3,000 or so......
    Dave
    <a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MANDOLINE-Italienne-annee-1770-ANTONIUS-VINACCIA_W0QQitemZ290138100017QQihZ019QQcategoryZ1
    04485QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Vinaccia</a>

www.mandolinluthier.com
    www.crumbles.info

Here is a Midland eight string, bowlback "ukulele" at Shopgoodwill.com.
    Bill Snyder