Thread: Strap recommendations for A style

I have a Gibson A-9, and I would like to know if any of you can recommend a good strap.

I am a guitar player primarily, so I am not too sure how best to attach the strap on an A-style. I see F-styles straps get looped under the scroll. What do you with an A-style to support the nek?

THanks,

Steve

I have strap buttons on my less expensive A style mandos, attached to the heel.

Cya!
    Bob

I simply tie my strap around the headstock - seems only logical to me that it balances better when supported at either end, and it doesn't get in my way at all. (Note that I also wear it as you would a guitar strap, not hanging off just the right shoulder as many do.)

For a strap I use a length of brown paracord with a 3-strand braid in the center section - if you're interested PM me your email address and I can send you instructions I got from a knot book showing how to do this with a single length of cord, leaving either end for attaching to the mando. If you want something fancier I think the Bailey Straps look very nice.

Thumbs up

The Bailey Strap without a doubt. I use one on my A. Super soft and comfy,stays put,very high quality and a terrific value. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

Start off with something durable about 48" long.
    Make sure it has two ends.
    Employ imagination.
    Attach it to the instrument.

Mythicfish - thank you!
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Levis makes a decent leather strap that would work well. I noticed that when I switched to Grover tuners, the FLAT leather (headstock) end of my old strap didn't line up well between the tuner underparts and the tuner posts above. The Levis has a short string on the end of the strap that you tie around the headstock, which lines up well. Some guys simply use a boot string.

I think a homemade hemp strap would work very well, but you are going to have to have a small strip of leather to secure the tailpiece peg. Hemp is strong and won't stretch like ordinary twine or leather. I go through straps when the leather stretches out, which it inevitably does. But a short piece of leather, a tag, won't stretch so much.
    Rook Doag

Collings makes a great mando strap. VERY comfortable. Try Dusty Strings in Seattle.

I use a leather bootlace; tie a noose for the end pin and loop and tie it around the body behind the fret board and your in business.

And if you do want a good noose-type knot, I would suggest a fishing knot - the Duncan Loop. It is easy to tie, you can tighten it and loosen it (without a fork), and there isn't too much bulk around the tailpiece peg.
    Rook Doag

planet waves makes a nice, cheap mando strap that you can use on an a-style (you can tie it around the neck just under the elevated fretboard.)
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

Blog Entries

Best A strap is made by Lauren Dudenbostel, Lynn's daughter. Contact Lynn to get one.

Jim

I use one made by Levi's and tie it around the neck at the headstock. I wear it guitar style too and it's never gotten in the way. In fact, I find I can't really find a comfortable way to hold the mandolin without it.

]planet waves makes a nice, cheap mando strap that you can use on an a-style (you can tie it around the neck just under the elevated fretboard.) [/QUOTE]

if you buy a planet waves (or any standard guitar type strap with holes for button or string) they also make a quick release item that makes it so easy to attach/detach strap. i;ve been using it on a guitar and just love it. i keep one end looped to the headstock and then when i want to attach strap i just click it in. works well if you don't like to leave strap on the instrument when in case or switch strap to different instruments.

I have a Prucha strap on my A9. #It's around the body under the fretboard. #I haven't taken it off the mandolin in 3 years. #Here are pictures of it.

I have a Capek strap ... also from the Czech Republic.
    Problem is that everything I play is changed to a minor key.

Curt