Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morris Mandolins

Have not seen many of these, has anyone had any experience with these mandolins. If so good or bad.

The one just listed in the classifieds today is mine so maybe I'm not the objective opinion you are looking for, but I think they're great mandolins for the price.

J. Mark Lane has one: See this thread on the General board

They are solidly built and sound very good. As he said, they're not going to stand up to a really high end mando if you're doing a comparason, but they're better than your average MK (or other import) and priced very well.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to answer them.
    Cheers,
    Sarah

I agree with Sarah. But like her, I own one, so I'm not totally unbiased I suppose (although I'm not trying to sell mine).

Actually, I own two -- an F5 and an F4.

How you evaluate an instrument like this always has to be placed in context. I have some very nice, expensive custom guitars, with amazing fit, finish, volume and tone. (I can't play them, but I own them because I can <G&gt. I would guess those guitars are the equivalent of a fairly high end mandolin, costing upwards of $10 or so. The Morris mandolins are not in that category of instrument. But they are, imo, certainly in the category of a good standard series (or 16 series) Martin. I don't think the pac rim mandolins are in that category -- I would compare them more with the Deans or Ibanez's of the world.

Construction, finish, volume and tone are really very good. Not like a $10k mando, but far above other mandolins I've played in the under $1k price range. I've recently played a few new Asian imports (brands that seem to be popular around here), and they can't hold a candle to my Morris. I put them down immediately and had zero interest in picking them up again. (On the other hand, I used to play a couple of those brands, before I bought some decent mandos, and they served me fine at the time.)

What I would expect from a new Morris might be a need to do a good setup (perhaps a new bone nut, a really good bridge, a fret dress). I would expect that in almost any new instrument, though, especially in this price range. I think with Sarah's instrument, which has been around a couple of years, you might have something that has been broken in and is Good to Go out of the box. Don't know. Haven't ever seen it. I know that would be the case with mine (F5 = #27, completed March '02).

For me, one thing I really enjoy about it is that my Morris's are hand made, American made instruments. Howard is a craftsman -- he plays mandolin in a bluegrass band (a very good one, too), and plays his own instruments. I enjoy that I play one, too.

Mark
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

When I saw the advert in the classifieds,I took the opportunity to email Howard Morris to sing the praises of my oval hole 'Morris' (spruce top'the rest flamed maple, 'A' model #32 May 2002) which I bought in England.
    It has the most woody /bluegrassy/oldtime sound that I have ever heard in an 'A'model and compares in tone, and quality of workmanship with £2000 mandolins that I own.
    Howard tells me he has made 70 mandolins to date.
    At $700 a pop,
    I would advise anyone (especially this side of the pond)to beat a path to Irrigon, Oregon and buy one.

Registered Person

I had a Morris F-4 for about a year, sold to buy another, well, you know. #Howard's was my first good mandolin. #I bought a Gibson A-Jr and compared the two. #Well, honestly, how would one compare a 80 year old and a 2 year old.. but the Morris sounded nice, it has the oval like the Gibson, it played well, intonated all the way and stayed in tune. #It was a solid little workhorse that, to tell the truth, I sometimes wish I still had. #Worth 700? #Yes. Definately. # I still have a Morris, but this is a Japanese made F from the early 80's, nice mando, but not Howard's.

Is there a web site for Morris Mandolins?
    Cheers,

Brian

Angels don't play harps, they play mandolins

Howard does not have a website. I think he pretty much operates by word of mouth, and the occasional use of eBay. Probably figures he doesn't make enough instruments, or charge enough for them, to justify the expense and trouble of a website. I think he's also on the road a fair amount.
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

Howard Morris:
    I've known Howard for many years. A great guy who saw an opportunity in the market place for a affordable American made instrumet. Howard is semi retired and he subsidizes the retirement with mandolin construction. This past summer, Howard and I got to pick at a local jam session. We hadn't seen each other in about 5 years so it was fun for us to just sit, talk and pick. I was playing my MF-5 #78 which is a Hoss. He was playing his newest Morris F5 which was pretty green and it help it's own very well against my Collings. It didn't have the depth of tone that the Collings had, but it had a good sound and lots of volume.

Howard is a man of integrity. If you bought a mandolin from him, you got more than your monies worth. Kenc
    Cartwright's Music & Repair Shop
    "I repair what others sell"
    Stayton, Oregon

I don't own one but have heard 4 or 5 and played 2...i was impressed with the tone of them all vs the price. #Handmade right here in the USA, that counts more and more in this changing world! #If i had a few more brains I would probably have bought the one i played that was for sale and saved the other 2 G's I spent on my main mando for lessons...I know i'd sound better today if i had! Quote from unknown picker at the 2nd festival I ever attended, "well, it's not the box, this mando sounds fine." #Thanks buddy, I feel better now just knowing that!
    (wow, a rare moment of honesty for the world to see...thats not like me)
    wait, let me clarify that, it just doesn't read like what I was tryin to say...for the world to see, not the honesty part... I do a pretty good job at that.

Back to the question I'll 2nd what ken said.
    He's not only right, he's Cartwright! #Thats a bunch of rights with wheels i think???

Look up (to see whats comin down)

I came accross this thread regarding Morris Mandolins and emailed Howard Morris to get more information. I have been looking to buy a new F-Style mandolin (not an A-Style or a used one)in the sub $1,000 range that is hand made right here in the good ole USA. I already have a few imports and they are fine but after searching through the Cafe I have come to the reality that you definately can find a #new USA made F- Style mandolin for under $1000. So far I have found Morris and Hummingbird mandolins and also have emailed Jim Parker in regards to his mandolins. I live in the middle of nowhere so being able to see and play before buying is not an option so I put a lot of faith in what I can find out on the internet. I really like all the information I'm finding on the Cafe. I really do value everyones opinions. So here are my quetions.
    1. Morris mandolins use stiffners in neck instead of Truss Rods. What's your thoughts?
    2. Any other sub $1000 range F-Style Mandolins out there?
    3. I emailed all three makers listed above to get info. Howard Morris responded but the info on them was very limited. The same with Matt Redican (Humming bird Mandolins). He did not share much info. I emailed him again to get more info but he has not responded yet. Can anyone fill me in on more details about these? I don't know why he doesn't give more info on his website. Very vague with only a couple pictures. I just emailed Jim Parker so haven't got a response yet
    I understand these guys are not asking a lot for their mandolins and probably do not have any advertising budget but the more infomation you can put out about your mandolins the better. It's hard to made a good decision without information. No wonder the imports sell so well.

Please respond to this thread only if you you have information on F-Style mandolins in the sub $1000 range. I've seen all the other opinions on used and A-Styles but I'll be spending my hard earned money and I will be getting a F-Style so don't waste your time trying to convince me otherwise.

jamann

Regarding the lack of truss rod: I have no concern at all about this. The neck on a mandolin is short and thick. My Morris's show no problems. Note that I also have a Givens Legacy A6, a considerably more expensive instrument. It, too, uses a stiffener instead of a truss rod. Many makers do.

As for getting information, as Ken said, Howard is semi-retired. I have the feeling computers are not his priority. Although he does use email, and visits this site occasionally (I see his ads), and sells on eBay, I have emailed him and waited quite a while for a response. And I'm a return customer.

Given the price of these instruments, I don't think it's fair to expect a great deal of hand-holding. You don't even get that from many of the expensive builders. Just go with your gut, and get whatever seems best for you. If you don't like it, offer it for sale here.

Mark
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

Mark,
    Thanks for your input. I do value your opinion being your a happy owner of two Morris mandolins. Howard has answered my emails and is sending me more information that I've requested so I'm very pleased with his response. Right now Morris mandolins is on the top of my list of possibilities. I just figured I would try to get as much info as I could before making my decision. Stir the pot a bit. It seems to be working.

jamann

Jamann et al,

I've just arranged to purchase a Morris F4 from Howard, after a several week email correspondence, primarily based on the positive feedback and reviews I have seen during the last couple years. It'll be my first F-style mandolin; another taboo shattered. (It is the F4 that he initiially listed a couple of months ago on ebay). Leftyman, I am pretty sure that I saw your sunburst oval-hole A Morris on an archived webpage from a U.K. music store. #32 even sounds familiar .... that's the one I wanted! But he didn't have any A4s currently like that. The new F4 is costing me a whopping... $750; the same as he asks for an F5, I believe. Pretty amazing. I'm glad the current Morris owners here are pleased, and I hope I can provide a similar positive update when I get mine.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

Pictures! We want pictures.
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

Jeff,
    I would really appreciate any pictures and your imput once you receive your mandolin. Did you get the blonde or red sunburst mando that Howard had. I was considering the blonde but have to wait till after the holidays to get serious. Family commitments. Hopefully you'll have good news to report by then.

jamann

Re: Pictures of my future F4; I have attached a couple of pictures Howard sent me, which are versions of the pics he originally included with his ebay ad. I only sent my payment today, so it will probably be after Christmas before I can give an assessment or more pictures.

For those anxious to see more examples, I combed the web a couple months ago and was able to find pictures of 4-5 different current and past instruments, a couple of which were from a store in the U.K. including that #32 sunburst A4. If someone is really interested in seeing a small "gallery", I could send them the pics I collected.

I remember that soon after the F4 auction ended, he listed an F5 and an A5 here on in the Classifieds. He also had/has a blond A4 which I also considered, and he told me he recently sold an (the same?) F5. So he might have a couple of As still available (guessing). He is apparently spending the winter in Yuma, so presumably doesn't build over the winter (again guessing). It looks like it is only possible to attach one image per post, so I'll add a couple others to follow:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f464front.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	5329  
    Jeff Rohrbough

And the back:

Name:	f464back.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	5330  
    Jeff Rohrbough

And the headstock. I don't care for the look of these chrome Grovers. I know they're inexpensive and probably used for economy, so I'm planning to replace them.

Name:	f464head.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	5331  
    Jeff Rohrbough

I looked at Howard's blonde also. I liked it much more than the burst. The burst seemed too red, but I'm not sure if that was the photo or not. I have the pictures of his available instruments, but I don't know how he'd feel about my posting them. I have narrowed my search to 3 mandos, and the Howard's is one of them.

I really think it's quite beautiful. Reminds me of what Collings is doing now with their MF model -- no binding, etc. FWIW, I replaced the tuners on mine with Schallers that Peter Coombe made ebony buttons for. Not cheap -- labor intensive process. But Peter is a pleasure to do business with, and they came promptly and shipping was cheap. They look and work very great.

Mark
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

Quote Originally Posted by
    I have the pictures of his available instruments, but I don't know how he'd feel about my posting them
    Well, I probably should have considered that - these are his pics, not mine- but it honestly didn't even occur to me. The pictures, to my knowledge, have already been posted elsewhere in public ads, so hopefully he wouldn't mind their being shown to interested community members. I was initially interested in an A4, but the appearance of this F4 eventually began to grow on me over that of the natural-finished A4.
    Jeff Rohrbough

We're being perhaps a bit paranoid around here these days? <g>

I doubt very much that Howard would object to having those very good pictures of his work posted here. I mean, the guy is not COMPLETELY insane.

J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

Registered Person

Oh, I don't think he'd mind. The more of his stuff you get out there, the better. By the way Jeff, that F4 is exactly like the one I just sold. Nice mando. The grovers you want to replace work really well, but I can see where you might like gold on that particular one. Mine was true up and down the neck and it stayed in tune forever. Have fun.

You are correct Jeff my A4 #32 sunburst is still shown on the Acoustic music company site.I paid £800 ($1500)for my Morris after playing every expensive A model, in the shop,(I was there for four hours, there was a lot of them)I decided purely on sound/tonal quality nothing could beat the Morris.A Labeda A5 costing three times as much came close,followed by a Weber Absaroka A5.

Quote Originally Posted by
    You are correct Jeff my A4 #32 sunburst is still shown on the Acoustic music company site.I paid £800 ($1500)for my Morris after playing every expensive A model, in the shop
    And I still want it, though it sounds like that store exercised a pretty liberal markup. Are there similar import markups (or taxes?) in the UK for other American-made instruments?
    Jeff Rohrbough