Thread: Quality Question - late 70s/early 80s Washburn A?

Thinking of a purchase, hoping for some advice.

Can anyone tell me what sort of quality late 1970s/early 1980s Washburn A-style (oval hole) model M-3BR mandos were? Were these Japanese made?

Thanks
    so many mandolins - so little money...

The eBay one? Why don't you ask the seller for a shot that shows the label? You can see the edge of the label through the hole in one of the pictures, enough to see it is a big oval label like the modern Washburn oval As; should be pretty easy to read. I am curious about the bracing inside. Ask the seller to reach in and feel for the brace. The modern one I have has a single brace running from the tailpiece to the hole, as opposed to the transverse brace the old Gibson As had. That is about the only variance from a vintage A plan.
    "First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker

arbarnhart - Do you like your Washburn oval A?

Yes, but mine is modern (I bought it new less than 2 years ago) and at the low end of the price range (around $200). I love it and other Cafe folks seem to like theirs also (though perhaps not as fanatically as me). Someone else just bought a new B stock one on eBay and his initial impressions are good (he posted over in the cheap instrument praise section, as did I).

I am curious about that older one being similar or not. It is likely built in a completely different factory/country and there are obvious differences with the headstock and fingerboard. I am curious about the brace more than anything else because I have not seen that style brace (like mine has) on any plans or other mandos.

"First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker

i've heard that the japanese washburn's were some of the best imports at that time.
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

Quote Originally Posted by (cooper4205 @ Sep. 22 2006, 17:37)
    i've heard that the japanese washburn's were some of the best imports at that time.
    I heard the same thing about the Japanese Kentucky mandolins #- haven't had the chance to try either (yet)

The label won't tell you: Washburn labels (at least then) didn't show the country of production. I have a 1989 M3-SW (F5 clone), which was around the time they switched from Japan to Korea. It has a great tone and great playability. Not the loudest mando ever, but can holds its own. I don't play on F5s very often, but the Washburn has got lots of compliments from people who do, including the esteemed Mr Beimborn. I've also heard that the mid-80s Japanese ones were at the time considered to be the best import F-styles. No idea how the late-70s/early-80s compared.

Martin

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (fiddlinfool @ Sep. 22 2006, 18:54)
    I heard the same thing about the Japanese Kentucky mandolins #- haven't had the chance to try either (yet)
    Neither are "great" but both are good. Solid top Washburn and Kentucky A-style mandolins have pretty good projection and not too bad of a sound (i.e., not tinney). I would say the same thing for the MIJ Alvarez and Ibanez - all of which I've owned.

Here are a few cavets: Make sure they're properly setup, you don't overpay (i.e., don't hope for more then they can offer) and can return after 48 hours. I have almost owned two Ibanez mandolins and one Alvarez that had either sunken tops or were carved too thick. In the f-hole A-model lineups, I've not seen too-thick-tops or structural problems. Usually for these it's setup. For the MIJ f-hole, F-model mandolins (or the occasional "d"-hole mandolin, I've seen both structural problems and too-thick tops.

I think the "best" cheap MIJ that I had was an early KM-250s. I was lucky to get it for $200.00, was surprized that it had a fishman p/u and sold it to a very happy new owner for $300.00. Somebody at the cafe has it, I just can't recall who. . . .

Hope this helps.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Here's a photo collage of my MIJ Washburn. Note the lack of the adjustible truss rod (not the least uncommon) and the very slight "flame" in the back (well at least it's solid). This was a sub-$200 mandolin that I likely sold for $240.00, bought from ebay about 2 years ago. I doubt pricing would be much different now. . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	all_photos_together.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	18524  
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A