Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical Mandolin solo Videos on YouTube

It is so nice to hear and see Alex playing. Mostly he promotes the talented folks in his orchestra and conducts same. How about a few more videos of similar playing, Alex?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Alex posted a link to this video in this thread over two weeks ago.
    Bill Snyder

I am glad I dupled the post here where it also belongs. I must have missed that posting in the pluses and minuses of copying various historic instruments.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hello Jim and Victor,

Thanks for your nice words on my Mandolino playing of the 'Alemanda' by Ceccherini.

As you say Victor, it is indeed a "tiny, charming instrument". I am particulary happy with the fact that you mention that the instrument has a 'wonderful sonority', because that is, I think, in essence what Fouchetti in the 2nd half of the 18 Century also meant on page 5, chapter III of his 1771 tutor "MÉTHODE / Pour Apprendre facilement / á jouer de la Mandoline / á 4 et á 6 Cordes", where he wrote (after he had already written that: "although it's open string tuning is more complicated than that of the [Neapolitan] mandolin") he went on at the bottom paragraph of the same page, with: "Mais cet Instrument n'est pas si difficile à jouer que la Mandoline à quatre cordes, parce qu'il ne faut pas dèmancher si souvent. Aussi on le / préfére aujourd'hui à láutre [the Neapolitan mandolin] , et on le trouve plus harmonieux; mais cela dépend du goût".
    (free translation: 'But this instrument is not so difficult to play as the mandolin with four [double] strings, because it does not necessary demand [to much of the performer] so often. Although today it [the Neapolitan mandolin] is prefered above the other, it is seen as more harmonious; but that depends on the taste".

This sentence above has likely also been thé line for James Tyler in his part of the 'EARLY MANDOLIN', the book he and Paul Sparks wrote in 1989, to point out that Fouchetti must have prefered the gut-strung Mandolino above the metal strung Neapolitan mandolin (see page 38).

Well, that being the case, and indeed how much I do love the tiny Mandolino, I must say I like all Mandolin types! What a fascinating instrument is it - and what a fantasdtic history it has - that we have in our hands!

And Jim, if I have some spare time this week (or the next one) I will record the 'Fuga' by Ceccherini that goes together with this 'Alemanda'. I'll keep you informed.

Cheers to you all,

Alex #

Added a new file to YouTube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-idCrfuEaE

It's an excerpt from Concerto in E minor Op.64 I - Allegro molto appassionato , F. Mendelssohn

I apologize beforehand for being audio only, and the sound quality isn't that great (I'm still trying to get the video from it).

Fabio Machado
    fabiomachado.com

Two videos by Carlo Aonzo:

Ninna Nanna - lullaby by his father duo style (played full tempo and slow for learning)

Ali for Flying - by Carlo
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Here is another addition to the classical mandolin/guitar youtube videos. I stink at links so you will have to cut and paste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQRHEW0PSAs

Quote Originally Posted by (Acquavella @ June 30 2008, 13:49)
    Here is another addition to the classical mandolin/guitar youtube videos. I stink at links so you will have to cut and paste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQRHEW0PSAs
    Very nice playing, Chris. Was that your arrangement? Are there more of those videos?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

No, thats the only video, as far as I know. I happened upon that one by accident. The arrangement is by Marga Wilden-Husgen. Quite nice and fun to play.

Here's my attempt at Evan Marshall's arrangement of the 1812 fantasy

1812 fantasy

Superb performance! I liked the chromatic run.
    David
    Clocks make no alliances.

Hello
    Here are several new youtube clips which I would like to share

http://youtube.com/ovidenov

some of them maybe you've heard already,
    the new clips are
    "Moto Perpeto" , "Anitra's Dance" and "Spanish Cappricio"
    I hope you'll like them

Best Regards

Oleg
    Oleg

I just stumbled across this one, by a well-known cafe regular.

Thanks Neil for the link and greetings to Eugene and his guitarist Karl Wohlwend. Well done!

Best,

Alex

Thanks Neil and Alex. #Days like I had that day are evidence of why I'll never leave the day job!

Quote Originally Posted by (Eugene @ July 12 2008, 15:23)
    Thanks Neil and Alex. Days like I had that day are evidence of why I'll never leave the day job!
    pish and tosh, mate ... that was great!

Quote Originally Posted by (billkilpatrick @ July 12 2008, 17:29)
    pish and tosh, mate ... that was great!
    Yeah, what he said! It sounded good to me, or I wouldn't have posted it!

Quote Originally Posted by (ngladd @ July 11 2008, 21:45)
    I just stumbled across this one, by a well-known cafe regular.
    So nice to hear you play again Eugene!! Keep up the good work.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Two slightly-truncated videos of Carlo Aonzo from last year at Berklee:

Video #1

Video #2 - Ali for Flying

and here is another from the 2007 Bargemusic concert in New York with Rene Izquierdo:

Kaze mvnt 1. Allegretto Malinconico

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

here you go ... see if you can follow along:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wlcXqaeEy5o

once upon a time, drmole Joel Spaulding's Avatar
    not too far from Rosine; formerly and always a Yankee Highlander from Vermont

QUOTE: two bits worth - more medieval folk than classical and not posted to youtube

VERY Nice, Bill. #tempus est iocundum - was my favorite though I enjoyed petite rien as well.

Could you enlighten me as to the extended plectrum you use on Petite Rien ? I recall you had at one time been experimenting with different plectrum materials (credit cards come to mind...). To my untrained eye, it appears to be a nail file or emory board - but that is appearance only.

Again, very nice.

Joel

Michael Reichenbach

Three videos with Sonia Maurer and the ensemble Europa Galante, Vivaldi concerto in C major played on a mandolino have been added by

youtube user caroticosta
    Homepage: www.mandoisland.de / Blog: www.mandoisland.com / Freiburg / Germany

Blog Entries

I don't know if this has been posted yet but check out this mandolin quartet playing a couple of pieces called Aqua Rythym #1 and #2 by Hiro Fujikake.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Not an actual YouTube video, but my recent performance of Elliot Carter's Luimen with the Tanglewood fellows is now available on TanglewoodTV -- watch through the end for Mr Carter's appearance, and marvel that the man turns 100 in December and yet he still looks like he's going to challenge some whippersnapper to an Indian wrestle at any moment. Go here, click the "Launch WebTV" button, then select Luimen from the menu. The ensemble includes Oren Fader on guitar, Megan Levin on harp, Patrick Pfister on trombone, Chris Coletti on trumpet, Steven Merrill on vibes, and Christoph Alstaedt conducting. A recent review of the performance can be found here.