Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical Mandolin solo Videos on YouTube

No, it has not been posted so far. It's interesting mostly because of the right hand picking directions. I find them strange, but not necesserilly wrong. I don't like the chords playing by the first performance of the second part (1:44 and 1:49). The repetition is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by (plami @ Dec. 10 2007, 13:32)
    No, it has not been posted so far. It's interesting mostly because of the right hand picking directions. I find them strange, but not necesserilly wrong.
    Indeed. A whole lot of upstrokes where I don't expect them. In spite of my fondness for mandolin, I much prefer RV 93 on something more lute-like.

Quote Originally Posted by (Grazioso @ Nov. 15 2007, 17:32)
    This vintage clip of Mario Di Peitro on mandolin and on banjo will blow your socks off. His right hand tecnique is terrific and just as described by the Calace, Pettine & Bickford classical method books.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ydh_CqNvOI

Enjoy!

Mario Di Peitro
    Tres chic!

As impressive (incredible) as the mandolin performance is, the di Pietro tenor banjo solos are even more impressive -- almost (not quite) enough to get me to take up the banjo!
    Robert A. Margo

Here is the audio/video page of Jacob Reuven, an Israeli mandolinist who, I believe was the player of the Vivaldi lute concerto some pages back in this thread.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Does anyone know the maker of Jacob Reuven's mandolin?
    Bill Snyder

I believe that's an Arik Kerman mandolin.

Hello everybody,

I was reluctant to start a new topic to make this post as it is for a video of a duo and the header for this thread is "solo videos"...but as other posts feature duos, I figured no one would mind too much.

Yesterday a great thing happened- a fourth year violin student at Trinity College of Music put on a concert featuring the mandolin as his fourth year project. (We all have do do some kind of project, luckily I still have two more years to decide what I will do.)

The concert featured solo performances from the aforementioned violinist, Tom Newell (who has recently begun dabbling with the mandolin...hence the concert), myself (a second year, first-study mandolin) and our teacher, Alison Stephens.

We were very lucky to have Ali take the time to come down and participate in the concert. Top notch stuff...and also my first chance to see the newly-finished Vinny Jr. (sp?) in action.

The concert also featured a performance of Eduardo Angulo's De Aires Antigos by my duet partner Emily O'Hara and myself which you can catch #here

All in all, a great day for the mandolin.

Well done for getting that up on YouTube so quickly Travis!
    As I was actually present yesterday, I can vouch for the fact that Emily and Travis played really well. Travis also played two solo pieces, I thought, very well. Are we not getting those on YouTube too Travis?
    It was a lovely concert.
    Ali

Hi Travis,

Bravo! Wow, Emily's playing has really progressed. You guys make a good duo. Ah, I have such great memories of performing at the Old Royal Naval Chapel. Great acoustics in there. Anyways - well done.

Hey Chris, thank you very much. What a great acoustic in there, huh?

And Ali, I already have a couple vids of me working those solo pieces through in a practice room on my youtube. (Really for my own gratification and so the folks back home can see what I'm doing with all my time and money :P

I suppose I could link in the live stuff too. Lemme get 'em up.

Very nice playing!

As a heads up, I acquired a new video camera yesterday, so I may be joining the YouTube generation soon, myself. My last camera was stolen 3 years ago, before I had a chance to do anything fun with it.

Thank you Neil,

BTW, on a different thread you gave us the heads up that you put new pieces up on your myspace. I really enjoyed hearing the Uhl. I'd never heard a recording of it before, very nice!

Hello Travis,

Very nice performance! And what a beautiful ambiance for a concert. Love to hear (and view) more.

Best,

Alex

Travis,

The solo pieces are good as well. Was that in your first year? Really nice righthand control on Sakura. It would be good to see you perform those pieces on your Embergher. Did you record that in room 104 or 205? Jeez, I miss practicing there. My living room just doesn't have the same acoustics. Travis, enjoy it while it lasts. I'm looking forward to hearing some more from the other side of the pond. Best wishes with your studies.

Oh, Chris... those are truly words to warm the heart of an academic Scheduling Manager like myself. Whoever said that this is mere gridlock drudgery, statistical graphs of occupancy rate, utilization rate, and efficiency vs effectiveness analytical studies? HA!

I can go home after office-hours today, thinking that, yes, some day, SOME day, a talented graduate will harbor such fond memories as the ones you voiced above from his use of a conservatory's spaces. Thank you!

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Thank you very much Alex! It is a fantastic place to perform.

Also, thanks again, Chris. The videos of the solo pieces were from this year. I guess someday I'll look back on my second year as "The Year of Arpeggio Technique". (Much as my first year is already "The Year of Tremolo") I've been really pushing myself to come to grips with it this year and I think I've finally gotten a basic hold on it. From here, the only way is up.

As to the facilities here...don't worry, I am fully aware that one day I'll look back on the time I had here and there will be TONS of stuff I'll miss. Not just the practice rooms but also the staff, the location and the sheltering roof of an educational institution.

Oh, btw- one was in 104, the other was in 176. Floorspace, price and parking will only count for so much in my hunt for somewhere to live when I'm done here, I have a feeling I may just pick a place based on acoustics. Okay, maybe price too...

Great playing Travis. Thanks for posting the videos.
    Jonathan R.

"Music is my mistress and she plays second fiddle to no one." Duke Ellington

Hi Victor,

"Oh, Chris... those are truly words to warm the heart of an academic Scheduling Manager like myself."

Victor...you have no idea how amazing Trinity College of Music is. It was so easy to be inspired just looking outside the window onto the Thames river or the Old Royal Naval College grounds. TCM is located in an old King Charles palace. Queen Elizabeth was baptised in one of our recital rooms. The acoustics in almost every room suit the mandolin so perfectly. Aside from the amazing building, the staff and professors were truly amazing and caring. Most of them went out of their way to make sure I had the same opportunities as every violinist, cellist...etc. I am so thankfull to all of them for their guidance, which has helped me launch my career as a musician. I would recommend TCM to any mandolinist (or musician, in general) who is serious about becoming a professional. I would love to return for a post grad diploma. Does anyone want to lend me another $100K? Until then I will cheerish the memories and advice I have from my time in England.

Sounds wonderful, Chris. I have looked up TCM online, and concur with all you say. Personal, eyewitness experience, of course, trumps all I can tell from a few digital images.

We (i.e. Mannes College of Music, in New York) are located in a pre-war townhouse, which could, theoretically at least, be made quite lovely. Theory, however, will never become practice, as we are slated to eventually move to a brand new building by Union Square, in Greenwich Village, alongside our other seven sibling-colleges. I will hope, then, that our new home will inspire young musicians as TCM inspired you. Perhaps, instead of the Thames, our alumni can harbor fond recollections of the Hudson River? Hmm...

Mannes was the first New York conservatory to have a GUITAR program (!) Perhaps *diabolical snicker* we can do the same, some day, for the MANDOLIN? I don't know... I would have to build a lot more clout to make waves in that direction. Just a thought...

It is truly heartwarming to meet an alumnus with such memories of his years in higher education as yours, Chris. It is such encounters that convince me of the value of good academia. My colleagues at TCM are obviously doing all the right things. Very inspiring!

Cheers,

Victor

[OK, back to mando-speak...]

Mannes College of Music sounds lovely. Growing up in New Jersey, I've looked across the Hudson many a times. Well, let me know when you get the mandolin post grad course up and running. Keep up the good work! Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by (Eugene @ Mar. 04 2008, 16:36)
    I believe that's an Arik Kerman mandolin.
    [QUOTE]

Eugene,

do you have some more detailed information on these Kerman Mandos? I had some mail contact with Alon Sariel and he send me this photo. But he couldn't tell me much technical details. All the players of the Israeli Mandolin School play these instruments. I like their playing and the sound of these Mandolins very much.

Here's another Israeli player, Tom Cohen:
    Hummel Mandolin concerto, I mov. - Tom Cohen

And Alon Sariel:
    Serenata Malinconica

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kerman_mandolin.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	31426  

I'm really liking Jacob Reuven, thanks for the link. It's a shame for me that he doesn't play a traditional A or F style mando, as I prefer their sound. But his mandolin is better than a bowlback to my ears (I'm not a big fan of the bowlback sound, and unfortunately for me many of the greatest players, escpecially classical play bowlbacks.)
    "Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man."

Some lovely mandolino playing by Alex Timmerman. Alex, are you hiding this from us?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Truly lovely! Alex' playing is, of course, the Rolls-Royce of period-pluckery. And even an ignoramus such as myself must marvel at the wonderful sonority of this tiny, charming instrument.

This audio/video clip just made my day. I am inspired to do my own best. # #Even if my actual playing never rises above mere adequacy,#I can at least hope to compose music for extraordinary performers.

All the same; it's a beautiful musical world. #

Three cheers for Alex!

Victor