Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical Mandolin solo Videos on YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by (plami @ Oct. 02 2007, 13:10)
    And "Sevdana" was originally written for Cello, but there are a lot of arrangements for other instruments.
    What is the composer's full name, so I can look it up.

Thanks, Neil

Georgi Zlatev-Cherkin

I'm not sure if this is the correct transliteration, as far as there are no rules for that, but you may try it that way and also Tcherkin or Tscherkin.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Somebody is posting some old films of Tamara Volskaya on Youtube.

Actually this is from a French Balalaika site

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

FANTASTIC! Uncanny, too, to see a person I met later in life, from our "pre-acquaintance era". She always was, and still is, one of a kind.

Thanks for posting this, Jim.

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Wonderful Jim,

Absolutely wonderful and musical playing. Mandolinists can learn a lot from Tamara Volskaya!

Thank you for bringing this under our attention,

Alex

I wonder if Tamara knows these are online.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Very very good!!
    See also this one

Stefano

Well, Jim... you can always e-mail the links to her.

As you (probably) know, Alex, I did introduce Tamara to Sebastiaan last summer in New York. She missed meeting you --which she had wanted to-- as it was intermission, you were busy, then she had to leave early due to some family obligation, etc. But, there's always the future...

Yes, dear Tamara is a GEM of a musician!

I'm impressed with her articulation, really nice. I wonder how old is she? Can't find much information about her, although her name appears a lot on Google.
    fabiomachado.com

I keep my friends by not asking such questions. Tamara and her husband (and musical partner) Anatolyi Trofimov came to the States about a decade or so ago. My guess would be fifty-sixty-something-or-other... (Obviously, the Russian clip on YouTube was made earlier.) What matters,however, is that Tamara still plays up a storm-- and has a LOT of storm left in her, too!

Do go see and hear her live. Her performances are truly breathtaking!

Cheers,

Victor

Those old clips of Ms Volskaya are so lovely! I wish we could see more of her at YouTube... When looking for details, I usually focus on the player´s right hand, trying to learn something new. But did you notice how very beautiful and graceful Tamara´s LEFT hand technique is?

Indeed, I have NEVER seen anyone like Tamara who can play the most frightfully difficult passagework with NO trace AT ALL of any tension or stiffness!

The speed and resolution of YouTube does leave something to be desired, of course, as do those old films. Some of the stunning co-ordination of her playing is inevitably lost-- visually, at least, but certainly not aurally.

Tamara tours internationally, performing all the way from Japan, to Russia, to various locales in Europe, to many, MANY venues in the U.S. Treat yourselves to one (or more!) of her concerts, any chance you get.

We had a lovely chat recently, over cappuccino (me) and green tea (Tamara); she's obviously better versed in things Asian than I. She was only recently back from ONE tour, and soon off to anOTHER one. I am therefore unable to say where she is at present. What I CAN say is that, no matter where she is, she's surely playing up a storm.

Cheers,

Victor

I heard from Tamara and she said that those films were made cloe to 25 years ago which puts them in the early 1980s.

She and Anatoliy are playing in the spring:
    Quote Originally Posted by
    FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
    May 28, 2008
    Igor Begelman, Clarinet
    Tatiana Goncharova, Piano
    Tamara Volskaya, Domra
    Anatoliy Trofimov, Bayan
    more info
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Tho not on Youtube, it is on myspace:
    Alon Sariel and Francesca Ghillione playing Calace.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Here is Carlo Aonzo and Rene Izquierdo performing "Kaze" by Katsumi Nagaoka at Barge Music in NYC last March:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBGb1MyTth0

--Linda

Thanks Linda - this is great! I have been looking for Carlo at YouTube, but I think this is only the second one ever. The first was with Don Stiernberg. Let there be many more!

Besides, I really liked this composition!

Arto

Barbella Duet performed by Pauline Ulderink and Ruth Rouw - two mandolinists from Alex's group, Het Consort.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

This vintage clip of Mario Di Peitro on mandolin and on banjo will blow your socks off. His right hand tecnique is terrific and just as described by the Calace, Pettine & Bickford classical method books.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ydh_CqNvOI

Enjoy!

Mario Di Peitro
    Jonathan R.

"Music is my mistress and she plays second fiddle to no one." Duke Ellington

Thanks for making me aware of the Mario Di Pieto Videos!

Great playing!

Alex

Your welcome Alex. It really is a fine example of the golden age of mandolin with terrific playing and tecnique.

Jonathan
    Jonathan R.

"Music is my mistress and she plays second fiddle to no one." Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by (Grazioso @ Nov. 15 2007, 17:32)
    VERY cool! I have a bunch of his records and knew that he had made films, but had never seen one. He was a student of Calace and the teacher of Hugo D'Alton.

Fabulous! Also —beyond the mandolin in particular— a fine example of the stylistic taste of that era. LOVE it!

For me, a revelation, as I had always been told (erroneously, it now appears) that the players of that era played (plectrum-wise) very clenched-fisted; so much for second-hand information...

This, by way of "cross-link" to the Holding the Plectrum thread.

Cheers,

Victor

Vivaldi Concerto for Mandolin in D( Lute RV 93 ) 1. Movement .
    I appologize if this has already been posted. I did not see it in any of the previous posts.
    Bill Snyder