Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical Mandolin solo Videos on YouTube

Default Re: Classical Mandolin solo Videos on YouTube

Calace, Saltarello op. 79 - Duo Zigiotti Merlante, Seoul 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzGcemllpVo

Quote Originally Posted by Arto View Post
    If Sofia is full of street players of this caliber, it must really be a great place to visit! Beautiful playing!

Why not in Helsinki....
    Hello Arto,

Happy New Year! Yes, there are a lot of street musicians in Sofia and they are not bad at all. Tonight when i was coming home, i heard a very good saxophone player in a subway. But this video of Oleg was actually shot in Amsterdam, where he is studying. He is not just talented, but also a very smart guy. While he was still in Sofia, they have been often playing with his father outside on the streets.

Best,
    Plamen

Mark Levesque and Judy Handler
    International and Classical Music
    http://www.judyandmark.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acousticblend
    The New American Mandolin Ensemble on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4L...uROoOXFj6GVSg/

Kozo Onishi - Variazioni sul un tema di Haydn (S.Ranieri) LIVE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8VwC3UDR1Y

Kind of cool contemporary piece performed by Japanese mandolinist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKKUvJTlKdY

Another funky experimental contemporary piece by Japanese mandolinists.

マンドリン 「PhotomusicⅡ」 mandolin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3fwXcf4JqA

Masataka Hori - Blessing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkNc_Gh-L6E

Nice piece for your next background music gig.

Detlef Tewes Boris Björn Bagger

Enrico Marucelli - Capriccio Zingaresco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFk7UIwLV28

Masataka Hori - Azzurro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AuLkH3GNNc

I've never heard of this guy before. I like him...he plays very musically & expressively.

Well... I figure this belongs here more than anywhere else. I know, not mandolin, not classical but in the similar realm to DePace: Alexei Arkhipovskiy

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Chris and others... you can embed the video if you just click on the youtube logo above and then past only the letters after the equal sign from your link.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Me and Bridget performing Manuel de Falla's 'Siete canciones populares espanoles' --

Cancion

Asturiana

Jota

Nana

Polo

All very, very nice Joe! Thanks for bringing these under our attention.

Best, Alex.

Lovely playing! My only complaint is that Bridget— SUCH a beautiful young woman, if I dare say so— is obscured behind that ugly, industrial-size music stand. The charms of Manhasset (or Wenger Co.) pale before her.

But the actual music-making is wonderful, and I commend both of you most enthusiastically.

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Oeps,... An other try will follow

Hi all,

I nearly forgot to make you aware of yet another video of Eva van den Dool & Sebastiaan de Grebber.
    In this film you can listen to "Xochiquetzal" , the 1st of five (substancial) concert pieces for mandolin and piano named Dioses aztecas composed by our own John Craton.

Since this composition by John Craton is such a great and fantastic contribution to the repertoire of our wonderful instrument I thought some background info would be nice, so here is more to read:

'Although,' as John Craton informed us, 'the Aztec pantheon consisted of more than 200 gods and goddesses, I selected five of the most colorful for musical representations in this collection: Xochiquetzal (Flower Quetzal-Feather), Xochipilli (Flower Prince), Ayauhteotl (Mysterious Goddess of Nature), Mictlantecuhtli (Lord of Mictlan), and Huehuecoyotl (Old Old Coyote)'.

"Xochiquetzal" was the Goddess of flowers, dance, and love, she also was the patroness of artisans, prostitutes, and pregnant women. Her retinue consisted of birds and butterflies, and worshippers adorned themselves with animal and flower masks at her festival which was celebrated every eight years'.

Dioses aztecas (Aztec Gods) was composed in 2006 and dedicated to Sebastiaan de Grebber. "Xochiquetzal" was premiered by Sebastiaan and Eva during the concert in Zwolle (Netherlands) on July 5th, 2008 in the presence of the composer and his wife. In the future all five duos of Dioses aztecas are scheduled to be recorded. We'll keep you informed.

Here is "Xochiquetzal" by John Craton:

Best greetings and enjoy,

Alex
    Last edited by Alex Timmerman; Jan-25-2009 at 7:52am.

Vivaldi Concerto in G with Annika Luckebergfeld, Fabian Hinsche, and Bridget. Bridget and Annika's heads, unfortunately, cut off. Me and Fabian, you can see clear as day. There's no justice in this world.

Mvt I

Mvt II

Mvt III

I am always impressed by how clearly, how transparently John's warm-hearted, gentlemanly personality shines through all his music! The writing is vigorous and energetic, as befits the youthful duo, who in turn do it justice— I trust the composer agrees. A sheer pleasure to listen to.

Bravo to John, Sebastiaan, and Eva!

Cheers,

Victor

Quote Originally Posted by vkioulaphides View Post
    The writing is vigorous and energetic, as befits the youthful duo, who in turn do it justice— I trust the composer agrees.
    Indeed I do. As I have come to learn is typical, Sebastiaan and Eva bring more out of the music than the lowly composer could achieve.

Alex often asks for permission before posting videos of my works publicly, but I have given him carte blanche to post anything he wishes because I consider performances by Sebastiaan, Eva, Ferdinand, Alex, and the CONSORT as a whole to be definitive interpretations of my work. I am amazed how often they convey in their performances subtle nuances I intended for the music but could find no way to communicate through pen and ink. At the risk of sounding like some strange Eastern mystic, I feel almost some kind of spiritual connection in their interpretations, they somehow divining meanings in the score that were impossible to transmit through mortal means. Whenever I learn of a performance of my lowly scribblings by any of these great artists, I know they will make the music sound far better than could ever be achieved by my hand alone. My hats off to them all!

And since Alex was too humble to post this, allow me to point the Café to one of his own recent videos on a 7-string guitar — playing music by a real composer, however, and not by me: Andante Largo Op.5, No.5 by Fernando Sor.
    John Craton
    "Pick your fingers to the bone, then pick with the bone"

Indeed, that is a lovely performance of the Sor, which I had had the privilege of hearing/viewing in the past few days. Yes, it is a guitar performance, but, hey... this slight a "transgression" from the forum's stated topic cannot be altogether bad.

I had already posted this link in the thread about Victor's songs, but I thought I should post it here, too, so that more people could find it. (Even though it is not a mandolin solo.)

Victor Kioulaphides: Seven Ancient Greek Lyrics, for mezzo and mandolin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ9UIqke6tQ

We're still pondering what else to post from the concert. I have to fight my natural inclination to sit on my concert tapes because of their imperfections, since most of the music we're playing is pretty unknown, and I want people to hear it.

Hi Neil, Victor and John,

Thanks Neil for the YouTube-link here of the concert premiere of Victor's Seven Ancient Greek Lyrics by you and Marjorie Bunday. It was, as we can see on the video, a wonderful performance.

Please do not mind any imperfections that happen during concerts. They just happen, are quite human and - if there are not to many - the music will even be more close to us mortals than when it is simply "perfect".
    I do have a future wish and that is whenever you think you have captured Seth Weeks' Polka Caprice (or some other composition by this most interesting and American composer), please post it on YouTube or MySpace or so. That would be very nice.
    But for now, thanks very much for this one.

And thanks Victor and John for your replies on the video of Sebastiaan and Eva playing "Xochiquetzal". And of course what you both say about our performances of your music. I only can add that we feel very fortunate to have found you here at the café. Personally I feel that something very unique is happening here and that there is a special tie (or bond-if that's the better word) between us.
    New music is being composed, studied, performed and listened too. Isn't that great?! It's like a little stone thrown in the water causing wrinkles that grow bigger and bigger and bigger...

And thanks for the comments on me playing the 'Andante Largo' by Fernando Sor.
    To make the relation to the mandolin topics here at our Mandolin café, it is perhaps nice to know that on this video I play a Model No.5 Concert guitar by Luigi Embergher, the Roman luthier so famous for his instruments of the Mandolin family.

Best greetings,

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Timmerman View Post
    Please do not mind any imperfections that happen during concerts. They just happen, are quite human and - if there are not to many - the music will even be more close to us mortals than when it is simply "perfect".
    I do have a future wish and that is whenever you think you have captured Seth Weeks' Polka Caprice (or some other composition by this most interesting and American composer), please post it on YouTube or MySpace or so.
    OK, here it is. Several annoying mistakes, but it got better as it went on. It's such a perfectly delightful piece, that I just wanted you all to hear the music.

Seth Weeks: Polka Caprice
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnfCIY0v594

Hi Neil,

Thanks so much for sharing. I have enjoyed it very much.
    Seth Weeks is a very interesting composer and his music for mandolin is a great addition to the repertoire.

Cheers,

Alex

Neil, thanks a million for sharing these excerpts from your concert. Victor's songs sound great and the Seth Weeks piece is a knockout. Marjorie Bunday's performance is very expressive and beautifully sung and Ms. Whittaker's piano work is just right.

John G.