Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical Mandolin solo Videos on YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by (Acquavella @ Aug. 03 2008, 22:01)
    Quote: "Quote (barbaram @ Aug. 02 2008, 23:09)
    Written for mandolin virtuoso Michael Hooper but already being played by others; Michael Finnissy's - Yob Cultcha (or 'Keep taking the Tabloids')

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi8v5...eature=related

OH MY GOD!!!! Not to crush anyone's particular taste in music.....but I feel an urgent need to cleanse my ears!
    This was just emailed to me by Juan Carlo Munoz. It is ensemble "ARTEMANDOLINE Baroque Ensemble". Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKrMI2PCp4Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Siab4IJGScI
    lovely! ... "enjoy" them i did. i notice the mandolin players are using risha-style plectrum (horn, ivory or bone, i would imagine) instead of traditional picks - that cheered me up even more than the music!

Hi Barbaram and others interested,

Thanks for bringing the video with the 'Yob Cultcha' by Michael Finnissy under my attention. It is very interesting to view and to listen to. I think expressions like these are Art reflections by artists of what is happening around us. If we (in this case) as todays view- and listeners open up for sound(s) and interaction(s) between people who cause them, we might step into another musical - or if you prefer - sound world. A world also that in itself is very intersting and exciting; one that makes you understand and perhaps even appreciate Modern Art in all its varieties all the more.

Cheers to you all,

Alex

PS: here is a video of the 'Hieroglyphs' composed by #Daniel Ruyneman that might be of interest to you. Ruyneman was a Dutch composer who was born on August 8th, 1886 in Amsterdam and died there on the 25th of July in 1963. The ensemble that performs his 'Hieroglyphs' here (on YouTube) is conducted by my colleague at ARTez Conservatory in Zwolle mr. Beni Dhomi and consists of the following students of our academy:

Conductor:
    Beni Dhomi.

Musicians:
    Barbara Merlijn, Marijke de jong, Jantine Postma; flute.
    Jorrit Laverman; vibraphone.
    Anouk de Jong; piano.
    Celia García-García; celesta.
    Roelof Folkersma, Tom Edskes; guitar.
    Sebastiaan de Grebber, Ruth Rouw; mandolin.
    Annegreet Rouw; harp.

The 4 last musicians in this row are also members of the Mandolin Chamber Orchestra Het CONSORT. #

Here is the link to their performance of Ruyneman's Hieroglyphs on YouTube.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruyneman_foto.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	33800  

Barbaram,

I echo Alex's sentiments regarding 'Yob Cultcha'. I too listened to the clip with interest. More importantly, I am appreciative of the fact that you (and others, like Alex) post and discuss interesting contemporary classical pieces with mandolin. I believe that this board (Classical, Medieval, Renaissance) should be big enough for mandolinists and mandolin lovers of many different tastes. Don't let the disparaging remarks of some inhibit your urges to post more.

-Buzz

an original composition for two mandolins, baritone ukulele, canary island timple, disparaging actor and flummoxed whistler - warning: melodic content:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zmBNq2l5Jic

Nice, Bill! Especially your facial expression at the start ànd end of the video, the different sound layers in between and the quiteness of your solo whistling at the end.

Best,

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by (mandobuzz @ Aug. 04 2008, 11:14)
    Barbaram,

I echo Alex's sentiments regarding 'Yob Cultcha'. I too listened to the clip with interest. More importantly, I am appreciative of the fact that you (and others, like Alex) post and discuss interesting contemporary classical pieces with mandolin. I believe that this board (Classical, Medieval, Renaissance) should be big enough for mandolinists and mandolin lovers of many different tastes. Don't let the disparaging remarks of some inhibit your urges to post more.

-Buzz
    Aye!

I am open to all sorts of music. That doesn't mean I have to like everything that comes along. I find the Yob piece especially difficult to listen to but the one linked by Alex actually quite pleasant, alternating with sweetness and dissonance. OTOH I agree there is a place for everything here in this section and we can all agree to disagree (or to agree). And of course, we don't have to listen to anything we don't want to.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

This is bound to have been posted before but here's our very own Alex Timmerman playing a very nice piece on a mandolino.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Alex, thanks for posting the video of Hieroglyphs. I found the score for that back in my student days (Bone mentioned it in his book), and have always wanted to perform it. It took a couple of decades before I finally found a recording of it on CD. It think it's a very beautiful piece, with lots of whole tone harmonies and gamelan sounds.

As for Yob Cultcha, I initially listened to about 2 minutes of it, got annoyed, and stopped it. I went back later and listened to the whole piece, though, and liked the last part of the piece a lot better than the opening.

I also have to say that I was annoyed when this corner of the board was renamed from "Classical" to "Classical, Medieval, Renaissance." "Classical" was being used in the larger, general sense to mean art music of all periods, which includes contemporary music. While there is mandolin music from the Classical period, there is no Medieval or Renaissance music for the mandolin. If you want to get more specific than the generic "Classical,", then it should probably only refer to periods that actually produced mandolin music, such as "Baroque, Rococco, Classical, Romantic, Modern, Post-Modern, Contemporary." Or something like that...

Quote Originally Posted by (ngladd @ Aug. 05 2008, 07:44)
    I also have to say that I was annoyed when this corner of the board was renamed from "Classical" to "Classical, Medieval, Renaissance." "Classical" was being used in the larger, general sense to mean art music of all periods, which includes contemporary music. While there is mandolin music from the Classical period, there is no Medieval or Renaissance music for the mandolin. If you want to get more specific than the generic "Classical,", then it should probably only refer to periods that actually produced mandolin music, such as "Baroque, Rococco, Classical, Romantic, Modern, Post-Modern, Contemporary." Or something like that...
    I agree, Neil... there is really not good name for this genre of music. Non-bluegrass, non-folk, non-country, non-ethnic might work, tho...
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

"early, modern and light classical" ... "classical - 16th to 21st century" ... "formal, solo and ensemble" ... "joe sent me" ...?

Quote Originally Posted by (billkilpatrick @ Aug. 05 2008, 09:16)
    "early, modern and light classical" ... "classical - 16th to 21st century" ... "formal, solo and ensemble" ... "joe sent me" ...?
    Now that I like.

Blog Entries

A nice little piece by the Nashville Mandolin Ensemble featuring Butch.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

I just created a you tube with the courante from J.S.Bach played on an Emberger mandolin and i did add pictures from the Roman part of Switserland "Ticino"
    ' hope you like it.
    Herman
    http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=HUmf6eUGQ7o

Default Re: Classical Mandolin solo Videos on YouTube

I can't recall if this player's youtube channel has been posted or not... please excuse me if it has already.

Kozo Onishi
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Not one to blow my own trumpet (so to speak) but as this thread has floated to the top of the pile again......several of you spotted my Diferencias video that I posted on Youtube a few days ago......there are also 3 other videos on there from the same conert......the 4th has just been added.....
    Diferencias by our own Victor
    Prelude XIV by Calace
    Bach's D Minor Gigue
    El Duende by Juan Carlos Munoz
    My channel is:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/alimandolin
    Hope you enjoy them.
    All the best ALI

Ali,
    Feel free to blow your own trumpet or any other instrument you prefer. Barring seeing you in person, it is a great thing to see you play on the small screen. Keep up the excellent work.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Yob Culture? A better title might be "Cacophony in 4/4 Time"

mandolin and vihuela playing scarlatti:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dbUIKbcweQs

... they have three other videos as well - my guess is they're warm-up exercises: dashing about, up and down the neck, bink-bonk, loud-soft, snuffle-crash-bing-bang-plinkity-plink ... you know.

Having written already on Ali's YouTube performance of my Diferencias, I must heap unreserved and unlimited praise on the other repertoire she performs as well. Her rendition of the Bach is one of the most (appropriately) dance-like I have EVER heard: jolly, spirited, crisp and clear. A sheer pleasure!

The Calace Prelude --too fiendish for Yours Truly to EVER try, even in private-- comes off brilliantly in Ali's far abler hands. I like Calace's music... For as idiosyncratic as it is, it never fails to reach me. My point is that the style is, ah... very Calace-esque, inextricably tied with his own musical persona; for that reason, many love it, others not. Count me among the first group.

Even though it is the player that matters more, of course, I must add what a delight it is to hear Ali's various and sundry instruments. The Olden Plucky Thing sounds SO lovely that, in a dash of madness, I considered MY own eventual need for an Olden Plucky Thing.

As for the Embergher, well... that instrument is to DIE for!
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

I´m so happy to see Ali´s YouTube videos. She´s one of my favourite mandolinists, I love her music, and now it´s possible to SEE her play, too. Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by vkioulaphides View Post
    The Olden Plucky Thing sounds SO lovely that, in a dash of madness, I considered MY own eventual need for an Olden Plucky Thing.
    Which is the OPT? The one she plays Bach on?
    Bach's beautiful Gigue played ona 2008 martin Bowers copy of a 1764 Vinaccia mandolin by Alison Stephens
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

The Old Plucky Thing that Victor is referring to is the 1760 Vinaccia (copy). I second Victor's sentiment. That instrument sounds absolutely amazing on the video. Ali performance of Bach is so gorgeous.......this is exactly what I am thinking of when I say that I don't like other (bluegrass) versions of Bach on an F5. Watching that vid of Ali demonstrates how beautiful & musical those pieces can be.

Victor......in regards to "die for" Ali's Embergher........PISTOLS or SWORDS my friend! lol

I figured by process of elimination that OPT was the one on the Bach. I know Baby and the Beast so I assumed that OPT is Ali's term of endearment for that instrument.

I must have missed or forgot of Ali's annoucement of this acquisition on this thread. She called it Young Vinny in January.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Hi Jim,

You are right...the vinnie copy is still known as Young Vinnie. The OPT is just a term of endearment for the audience sake.....I believe. Let's hope so....mch better to be known as Young Vinnie than that Old Plucky Thing. lol