Thread: Kent tater bug

Unhappy

I just got a call from a friend who has an old Kent tater bug style mandolin for sale........$100.00Cdn.

I wasen't aware that Kent made a tater bug, rather, I thought they had come out with a few electric A type models years ago.

Supposedly, this mando is in good shape, original nut, bridge, straight neck, etc. Probably original strings too. Haven't had a look at it yet.

Does anyone have a clue as to what the value of this instrument might be?? Don't really need a wall hanger at present.

Any help most appreciated.

Epi

I believe that the Kents were made by Suzuki and were prob the lower end Suzukis which are decent instruments but were generally over-built as compared to some of the good Italian bowlbacks or even the vintage American ones.

However, that price is fair I would think. If it is playable and does not need too much work, it might be a good choice for a starter bowlback, should you want one.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

My sister had a Kent bowlback. It was (is?) a servicable mandolin, not bad looking. I don't know about Suzukis, so I can't say if it is the same thing.

Here is one currently on eBay.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thumbs up

Thanks all for the information.

JGarber: After I posted the inquiry, I saw that one on e.bay.
    That's a pretty mandolin. Thanks for the link.

Epi

I have the same Kent (as on ebay) that my parents bought for me about 35 years ago. I never learned a note. Later it became a toy for my kids. Then, in my forties, I dragged it out and started learning. The first thing my new teacher said was, "You need to buy a new mandolin." But it sits on my mantle and looks pretty. I wonder what it sold for originally. (Smiley added by my daughter.)
    Cary Fagan

Question

Well durned ifn I didn't go and look at it. Practically off the shelf condition. Had to give it a good home.

A set of strings and a wipe with a dust rag later, it's a nice little mandolin.

Great instrument to play while the rest of the house is asleep. Very quiet, and "tinkly" (word?). No scratches, fret wear, cracks etc. Similar to the one on e.bay.

Move over Capt. Corelli.

Epi.