Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Eastman Mandolin Review

Default Re: Eastman Mandolin Review

AndyAPB here -- I am not surprised that others like you are having the same experience as me. The relationship between quality and volume (numbers produced) at some point becomes inverse and it looks like Eastman is well past that. Furthermore, if the F-holes which are in plain view are poor quality workmanship, it really gets you thinking about what you cannot see.

Can't see any mention of an Eastman 305 here so far. I've had mine nine months now and love it. I know it's hardly top of the range, but to me it's beautiful - not least because it has a matt finish! Of course, MAS is tormentingly at work in my head, and I wonder if upgrading to a more expensive Eastman would make much difference, soundwise and in playability. But I'd hate to have to trade in my 305. Then we're talking about more money - and a wife who doesn't understand why I would want to own TWO mandolins. I'm a keen cyclist as well as a mandolin player (of sorts!), and she can't understand why I have to own three bikes. "You can only ride one of them at a time," she says. They just don't get it, do they? Anyway, I'd have another Eastman tomorrow - and probably will before long.

3. The following members say thank you to Tezzerh for this post:

Honestly, after getting my MD305, I really love it. The tone is good (I have a soundcloud link over in the "song and tune projects thread of something I am working on) and it's great having a mandolin that is properly set up. Playing on the 12th fret is a breeze, not mentioning the ones closer to the nut. I strung it with FW74 strings and it really has a nice warm sound, almost like an oval-hole. The bark for chops is nice, to. I like the sound of the chops and chords on it. After reading this thread, I went and felt the mandolin I own, the finish was smoothe, aside from some bumps in places (from me bumping into some things, sadly) and the F-holes felt smooth to me. Then again, I got mine from the mandolin store and those guys know what they're doing over there so, maybe I got lucky.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheBlindBard For This Useful Post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tezzerh View Post
    Can't see any mention of an Eastman 305 here so far. I've had mine nine months now and love it. I know it's hardly top of the range, but to me it's beautiful - not least because it has a matt finish! Of course, MAS is tormentingly at work in my head, and I wonder if upgrading to a more expensive Eastman would make much difference, soundwise and in playability. But I'd hate to have to trade in my 305. Then we're talking about more money - and a wife who doesn't understand why I would want to own TWO mandolins. I'm a keen cyclist as well as a mandolin player (of sorts!), and she can't understand why I have to own three bikes. "You can only ride one of them at a time," she says. They just don't get it, do they? Anyway, I'd have another Eastman tomorrow - and probably will before long.
    If you're looking for a diffferent "voicing" in your mandolin, then another Eastman probably won't do it. My experience is that they are "voiced" similarily. Re:MAS, BAS, and your wife, I feel for ya Bro! You're in my prayers...LOL!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Theres always going to be incidents where sub par models will slip through any production shop but Eastman's overwhelmingly receive more good reviews than bad. I know my 315 doesnt have any of the cosmetic blemishes aforementioned and I was very surprised to hear it sounded remarkably competitive to a MF I played a couple months ago albeit the fit and finish wasnt up to the collings level. But hey, like I always say, eyes are deaf and ears are blind.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shortymack For This Useful Post:

The consensus seems to be the lesser Eastman models are as good as or better than the 815. I've played a number in the 3, 5 and 6 series and given the playability, sound and price it was hard not to buy one or two. That is Eastman's sweet spot. The workmanship was also very good for every instrument and certainly better than the 815 I tried. I would agree that sound and playability are more important than looks alone; however, at some price point, one should be able to expect both. The mandos I own, have been setup by a well known luthier and play and sound fine. Frankly, the more I play other mandos in the $,1600 and under price range, the better I like mine.

10. The following members say thank you to AndyAPB for this post:

I had two Eastmans; a 315 and an 815. The 315 sounds better. I'm keeping it. It needed to be set up to get the best sound and playability, but now it's excellent. For the price, it's nearly miraculous. The 815 is on consignment at my local shop.
    CeeCee, Self-appointed Supreme Arbiter of All that is Good, Just, and True
    1 Spousal Unit, 4 cats
    1919 Gibson A1, Girouard custom F5, Collings MF, Northfield F5-S, Eastman 815, Eastman 514, Eastman 315, JBovier ELS-VC electric mando

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice. anon

12. The following members say thank you to CeeCee_C for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

I just played again an MD315 that a friend has...it has opened up nicely over the last year or so; really nice tone...a good mando at that price point!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

I gave up on the Eastman mandolin and picked up my North American made Larrivee F-33 today. When I spoke to the luthier about the set-up, he had no idea that I was originally looking for an Eastman. He could not say enough good things about my new instrument and in the next breath he said "my friend came over to my home with an Eastman". "He asked me can you make it sound good". The luthier replied "yes I can but I would have remove the sound board and re-plane it and remove and redo the finish."

I am off to play some tunes, which is what it is all about!!!

The luthier really did a good job on the set-up. This Larrivee Mando has great action right up the neck, nice sound and it is well made. It is fun to play and I am going to enjoy it for a long time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AndyAPB View Post
    in the next breath he said "my friend came over to my home with an Eastman". "He asked me can you make it sound good". The luthier replied "yes I can but I would have remove the sound board and re-plane it and remove and redo the finish."
    !!!
    I guess he didn't like Eastmans. Glad you found something you like.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Thanks JeffD Nice staff, which one do you play next? Not so sure about like or dislike on the Eastman, it was more of -- it is what it is. If a guy has a $500 or $600 budget, you can't go wrong with an Eastman. If the budget is $2,000+ there are better options. Next on the list is a nice old Gibson A. Yours is nice!

18. The following members say thank you to AndyAPB for this post:

I gave up on the Eastman mandolin and picked up my North American made Larrivee F-33 today. When I spoke to the luthier about the set-up, he had no idea that I was originally looking for an Eastman. He could not say enough good things about my new instrument and in the next breath he said "my friend came over to my home with an Eastman". "He asked me can you make it sound good". The luthier replied "yes I can but I would have remove the sound board and re-plane it and remove and redo the finish."

I am off to play some tunes, which is what it is all about!!!
    If this were true of all Eastman Mandolin's it would certainly belie the quality of their violins and guitars. I think there may be just a "bit" of prejudice being shown here. JMO

My part of this thread began with a my disappointment over the 815 Eastman Mandolin. If you look at CeeCee_C above she bought one and has it on consignment. There are others above as well that are not particularly complementary about this model either. The 815 is not cheap and frankly I expected better. Some of the contributors above suggested that the North American Mandos are superior. Their comments and CeeCee_C's definitely caused me to reconsider, for which I thank them, because for $400 more I bought one made here. Others added the 305 and headboards into the discussion, which spiced it up, and now guitars and violins are added along with the whole Eastman Company -- I ain't goin there.
    Last edited by AndyAPB; Oct-16-2013 at 10:25pm.

My part of this thread began with a my disappointment over the 815 Eastman Mandolin. If you look at CeeCee_C above she bought one and has it on consignment. There are others above as well that are not particularly complementary about this model either. The 815 is not cheap and frankly I expected better. Some of the contributors above suggested that the North American Mandos are superior. Their comments and CeeCee_C's definitely caused me to reconsider, for which I thank them, because for $400 more I bought one made here. Others added the 305 and headboards into the discussion, which spiced it up, and now guitars and violins are added along with the whole Eastman Company -- I ain't goin there.
    I was more referring to the comment of the "Luthier". Sound and feel of an instrument can have too many variables to be subjective. Build quality, on the other hand, is another matter.

Gplayer - good points. I am amazed at how little things, even as simple as a different pick, can make to the sound. Add personal taste to your comments and how much cash you have to spend and the variables become even greater. I think the luthier's point for the mandolin he was looking at was: it is what it is, and is as good as it can be unless you want to take it all a apart and rebuild it from scratch and make it something different. That does not necessarily mean it sounded badly or played poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gplayer View Post
    I was more referring to the comment of the "Luthier". Sound and feel of an instrument can have too many variables to be subjective. Build quality, on the other hand, is another matter.
    GPlayer your words turned out right. The 'luthier,, who made the comments was in-house where I bought the mandolin and really proved by the initial set-up that he was an amateur. It was my intention from the outset to take the mandolin to my own luthier and the sale was subject to his approval. He ended up resting the neck, replacing the nut, changing the strings and adjusting the bridge. Now it not only sounds and looks good, it also plays real nice. I am very happy with my Larrivee F-33.

GPlayer your words turned out right. The 'luthier,, who made the comments was in-house where I bought the mandolin and really proved by the initial set-up that he was an amateur. It was my intention from the outset to take the mandolin to my own luthier and the sale was subject to his approval. He ended up resting the neck, replacing the nut, changing the strings and adjusting the bridge. Now it not only sounds and looks good, it also plays real nice. I am very happy with my Larrivee F-33.
    Glad it turned out well in the end and you got a instrument your satisfied with.

My luthier who used to do setups for Jethro Burns back in the day was impressed by the quality of my 605 so that's enough validity for me as to build quality.

My luthier does some big name players as well, and he agrees with your luthier. Eastman makes good instruments. If it plays and sounds the way you want, what more can you ask for!!

The luthier who installed my CA bridge has done work on Willie Nelson's guitars as well as some other celebs and he likes Eastmans. Good enough for me.

28. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Y'all are one up on me. I don't have a luthier, nor even know anyone in my area that works on mandolins.