Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best A Styles Close to $2500

Default Best A Styles Close to $2500

So, in my own experiment, I realized that I do love A style mandolins. Also, I noticed, a lot of makers in the Renaissance of building are putting out a lot of A’s. I have several F’s and A’s and find myself really liking the A styles. I like the weight and the balance when standing and no point jamming me when sitting. Tonally, they can still have that dry tree cracking when lightening strikes it chop, deep dark lows, bell like highs, nice balance, and just the right hint of sustain. Volume hasn’t been a problem, I’d put that 85 Carlson Flatiron A5-2(I reference later) against the best of them in volume. I really do like them.
    So, my question is, what are the best A’s out there in a reasonable budget…….feel free to include new or used in the discussion. By reasonable budget I’d say stick to close to $2500, though this is a lot of money, if you can have mandolin that sounds better than a $4000 mandolin for $2500, that’s reasonable.

I have played and liked
    2 New Pava’s- #7, #27, I would say they are good deals, can’t wait to see how they open up, for new, they are really nice. Fit and finish couldn’t be better. Intonation couldn’t have been more spot on the whole way down the neck.

Used Ward Elliott A- incredibly loose playing, sweet neck, good balance, killer chop, amazing neck. Overall, great mandolin, fantastic.

85 Flatiron A5-2 Carlson Signed-I must confess, I think set-up was a little off on this one, but…VOLUME! CHOP! Couldn’t really get a feel for playability as it wasn’t set up the way I like, but the neck was deeper than Ward’s. I think this could be a killer if set up right, not just to my preferences.

New Birdsey Collings MT-2- sounded like you’d expect, played like you’d expect. Collings builds great instruments, but I like the smaller shop guys(better deals) and a little different tone, but would never discredit how good these things are

On my Radar
    Givens
    Girouard
    Ludewig
    Passernig

I would love to hear everybody else’s input! Behold the power of the A.

Regards,
    Seth

Default Re: Best A Styles Close to $2500

By Givens I assume you mean the legacy models as the originals are a bit more than 2500. I had one. It was made playable by 200 dollars worth of fretwork. Brand new.

You don't see many Passernigs.

As for Girouard, I am playing one right now, birdseye blonde. Open sounding for a brand new mando. Its very hard to put down. It would be hard to go wrong with a Girouard.

I like what you have listed but would add Northfield to the list and though I personally have not played one myself some very reputable pickers on here really like the Kentucky KM 900 and Km 950.There is a great looking Skip Kelly A style listed in the classifieds for $1,900.00 ,I hear these are really good mandos.NFI.

Cafe member and contributor Mike Black makes some of the best-looking A models out there. On his website he quotes the 'standard price' of an A4 at right on your budget.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I'm intreged by Silver Angel.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

The Favs
    2013 Jacobson Nautilus #23 Semper Concinentī
    2007 Weber Custom Yellowstone
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8
    2007 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake #62 of 134
    2000 Heritage Millennium H-155

7. The following members say thank you to Michael Weaver for this post:

There is a used Chris Stanley A5 at Mandolin World Headquarters that is definitely worth a look - $2,950.00. http://www.vintagemandolin.com/07stanley_a5_37.html
    I own a '00 Flatiron Performer A and it is just wonderful. It could easily last me for the rest of my life if someone would just take away my internet connection.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rippeymandos View Post
    2 New Pava’s- #7, #27, I would say they are good deals, can’t wait to see how they open up, for new, they are really nice. Fit and finish couldn’t be better. Intonation couldn’t have been more spot on the whole way down the neck.
    While I haven't been fortunate enough to play one yet, I would be very interested in the Pavas, which I imagine to be the value line of Ellis mandolins. i keep wondering when we'll see the first used one pop up in the classifieds.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Blog Entries

The Silverangels are excellent. Well worth a listen - they have a very unique 'voice'. Lovely, organic feel, fit and finish. See some of OldSausage 's posts for examples. They're really very nice. The Nashville-era (especially) Flatiron A-5's are also well worth tracking down - Gibson A-5 G's in disguise. The KM-900 is a super 'Loar voiced' mando. Lots of other flavors out there... have fun! Those are just the ones I've played and really impressed me in various ways.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rippeymandos View Post
    Behold the power of the A.
    I'm in the same camp... A used Collings MT2 is certainly in the running, and I would imagine a new Pava would be a great instrument.

Like fatt-dad, I'm also intrigued by Silverangel...

I'd look also at BRW (Ben Wilcox). I'm not sure what a new A would run, but I'd guess between $2500-3000.

I've seen an RLGivens or two in the classifieds for around $2500-3000.

And there's a Mowry A in there, too, for around $3000.

A new Girouard looks like around $2k, which seems like it could be a bargain.

Take this all with a grain of salt. All my experience and research is from forum posts and sound clips!

well,
    just as a consideration for you as an A
    I bought my Rigel very specifically as a stage mando, when I need to be amplified, and one that im comfortable taking to more 'trying' environments.

I have to say, while no Collings or Pava, in terms of pure acoustic quality,
    and certainly a non-traditional look

but close, soundwise, imho, I wouldn't call it a lightening strike, nor bassy, but balanced,
    I have come to really love my Rigel, which would be about $1000 less, possibly more if you shop well.
    It is light, radiused, ergonomic, great fingerboard and overall playability, stable tuning, and more than decent acoustic tone (it is NOT my primary acoustic mandolin)
    and unsurpassed plugged in-and that's the big consideration, as into a PA or on stage, it really is extraordinary imho. These still sound like a mandolin plugged in, and when amplified seem to have a superb balance and punch, as well as bass.

From a guy with a couple reasonably high end Fs. I enjoy playing and hearing my Rigel a lot!
    They are not to everyone's taste, especially aesthetically, I understand.

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

I love my macica A...

Marty is starting a new batch soon too... I can't wait to hear them. The A style he recently made for Shawn Lane was possibly the best sounding and playing A I have come across yet!
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Justus True Waldron For This Useful Post:

It depends what you're looking for. You could have one of these from Mr Ratcliff (Silverangel):

or you could have one of these from Mr Jacobson:

And you could have a whole bunch of other fantastic sounding mandos too!

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

I've got a Skip Kelley A that is powerful and choppy. Nice instrument and within your budget. MandoMutt sells them.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

I've got a Skip Kelley A that is powerful and choppy. Nice instrument and within your budget. MandoMutt sells them.
    I second the idea of looking at Martin Jacobson's, too.
    Bill

Sorry for the double post.
    IM(NS)HO

Blog Entries

Whatever you do, don't dismiss mandolins that are below your budget figure.
    Check out the Jacobsons. Sub 2k mandos with +10k sound.
    Money is an illusion.

Hmmm I crossed posts with the old sausage ...(rude remarks removed)
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Another vote for Pava and Girouard, both of which I have played and really liked. I also have a Summit A, which is a very nice instrument. You might also consider The Lafferty, sold by the Mandolin Store. I understand they are made by a couple of very well respected American luthiers. I haven't played one, but I would expect a pretty high level of quality. You are also in range for some very sweet old Gibson A's from the first quarter of the last century.

Don't play what's there, play what's not there. - Miles Davis

Mandolin addicted...So? Pete Counter's Avatar

There is a pava A style at Gruhn Guitars for that exact amount. I played it this morning. It is a KILLER A-style mandolin. Seriously!

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by terzinator View Post
    I'd look also at BRW (Ben Wilcox). I'm not sure what a new A would run, but I'd guess between $2500-3000.
    Just delved deeper into his site... looks like I'm off by $1000... his A-styles run $3500-4000. Sorry about that.

or you could have one of these from Mr Jacobson:

And you could have a whole bunch of other fantastic sounding mandos too![/QUOTE]

David, that mandolin from Marty sounds outstanding. Nice playing.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Charles E. For This Useful Post:

Pava's hands are all over my Ellis A special, & I've met her & seen her working on Billy Bright's Gilchrist. I'd say a new Pava at $2500 would top my list. Also Collings A's or a Stanley (heard one of those too, not just fishing from cyberspace).

There are some new Pava models-descriptions can be seen at Mandolin Store and Elderly. The Player Model is priced at $2500, with single binding on body. The first generation Pava A5's at $2500 were triple bound. Looks like single binding was done instead of raising the price on that model. Makes existing stock Pava A5's at $2500 a good buy.
    Russ Jordan

Wow! I am loving all of these responses. That Jacobson really does sound good...."don't judge a book by it's cover" I wouldn't have guessed it. That Macica sounds great, too! So, I must confess, I do have some financial interest in the Pava as the President of Hibbler-Rippey Mandolin Company, and do own #7 and #27, and will continue purchasing more. As far as the comment about one coming up "used", I will probably be selling one at "demo" price soon. I do think they are a good mandolin for the price new, but at the same time, I find that some great deals can be found used.....like the Ward Elliott or Carlson Flatiron. I think I will seriously consider a Girouard and I talked to Martin Macica today and that was a great conversation. I was surprised no one mentioned some that I haven't played(yet).
    Stiver(used)
    Mike Otis(don't know his price)
    Buckeye(price?)
    Barnes(anyone play one?)

Keep the posts coming!

Seth

Oh, no, please do judge the book by its cover. As for the price tag, I can write anything on there you want. :-)

29. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Try a Collings MT-O...but I'm partial, he he he
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1