Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marty Stuart

I SAW MARTY STUART THIS LAST SATURDAY NIGHT AT EUREKA SPRINGS BLUEGRASS FEST. IN EUREKA SPRINGS, AR. I SAW A COUPLE A WEEKS AGO WHERE SOMEBODY HAD A LINK TO THE DAVID LETTERMAN SHOW WITH MARTY ON IT, AND I KNEW HE WAS GOOD. BUT NOW IF YOU GET A CHANCE TO SEE MARTY ON THIS TOUR I BLEIVE IT WOULD BE WELL WORTH YOUR TIME AND EFFORT. YOU SEE A LOT OF YOUNG MANDOLIN PLAYERS THESE DAYS WITH TECHINCAL SKILLS, BUT WHEN MARTY STEPPED ONTO THE STAGE BY HIMSELF AND UNLESHED TEN MINUTES OF VIRTUROSITY OF SPEED, TASTE, AND CLASS WITH NOTHING BUT PURE SKILL OF A SEASONED PLAYER YOU WILL KNOW WHAT TO LOOK AND LISTEN FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. MY HAT IS OFF TO MARTY AND HIS BAND THE FABOUSLIST SUPERITATIVES. THE MUSICIANSHIP IS FIRST CLASS THE WHOLE WAY.

Whats that? Speak up I can't hear you! #

GVD
    GVD

M@ñdº|¡ñ - M@ñdºce||º Keith Erickson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (GVD @ Aug. 28 2006, 16:28)
    Whats that? Speak up I can't hear you! #

GVD

I will try to speak a little softer...

If you would like to hear some really good stuff by Marty Stuart you should get the soundtrack to All the pretty horses

There are some facinating mandolin pieces on that CD.
    Keith Erickson
    Benevolent Organizer of The Mandocello Enthusiast

Marty is da man, shouting it to the world (or not).

Several years ago, the BG band I was in played a huge country show. Tens of thousands in the audience. Marty was there, and, man he's the real deal. Telecaster or F5, he has feel, sincerety, chops, experience, the whole package.
    And, wow, is he short!

maybe that explains the BIG hair
    (I guess I'm envious)

Yep, I understand. But, seriously, there are very few Marty's out there. I really mean that. He had the soul of the music in him, not just great technique.
    Blew me away.

I agree.....that boy can really pick a man'alin!

i wanted to go to that but im probobly go see sam bush in ozark AR.
    anyone gonna be there?
    I like mandolins.

Quote Originally Posted by (big h @ Aug. 28 2006, 20:36)
    i wanted to go to that but im probobly go see sam bush in ozark AR.
    anyone gonna be there?
    I wanted to go see Sam, but the tickets are a little steep for me. I realize it is for three days, but still too much for me.

Big H where in AR are you? There are four of us that I know of on this forum from AR.
    My axe is used for choppin'.

searcy.we have the worst music shop here becaus the pepeol are jerks and they only sell fender and johnson mandolins .every now and again a kentucky.
    I like mandolins.

Quote Originally Posted by (big h @ Aug. 28 2006, 22:44)
    searcy.we have the worst music shop here becaus the pepeol are jerks and they only sell fender and johnson mandolins .every now and again a kentucky.
    Quattlebaum's on the corner. I've been in there once a long time ago.
    There are four AR. folks on here. You, superc_1 (Atkins), goldman (Arkadelphia), and me (Benton).

Marty is a great musician. I saw that Letterman show. He was great. His live album at the Ryman is awesome. Spell check anyone?

Has Sam already played in ozark? If not when is the date. Lets see I could tell my wife we are going eat at here favorite place at Altus (2 miles away from Ozark) then just happen to throw in a bluegrass show on the side. That would be a good one to see. I'm glad to see a few folks on this forum from around here. It's hard to believe but I have a hard time finding people interested in bluegrass around Russellville, Ar. Marty was telling a story how Ar. is special to him; because, when he first started with Lester at 13 yrs. he was not able to go home right at first cause they went straight out on the road for 6 wks and when they was pulling into Hebersprings, Ar. to do a show his mom, dad, and sister had drove from Mississippi to see him with Lester and when your 13 and mom, dad , and sister show-up its the best sight in the world for a 13 yr. old kid.

i dont know how to post links on here.just go to his site and look at tour dates.:D
    I like mandolins.

Here's the link to Bush's schedule, and I'm glad I saw that because it turns out he's going to be just a few miles from me on Oct. 6th.

Greg Henkle

2002 Prucha F5
    1962 Martin D18
    1965 Fender Telecaster

I am a big Marty Stuart fan and I have seen him 5 times. His onstage persona seems to be his real persona, he has been performing since he was 11 or so. His mandolin picking is both one of my inspirations and one of my deterrents....

After seeing a hot solo I am ready to throw up my hands and say "why try?".....:laugh:

Marty is great!
    Silverangel EconoA
    Breedlove Quartz FF
    JBovier Tradition

I had to miss the Marty Stuart show 'cause I had to play a gig about a block up the street. (Jack's Place) I remember when Marty played with Lester Flatt at Bean Blossom when he was but a wee ladd. He was a monster player even at age 14.

The Eureka Springs Bluegrass Festival was a gas this year. My group, The Hogscalders, won the band contest so we got to open for Doc Watson in the Auditorium Saturday night. (my favorite venue of all time) The sound there is always good, and the audiences are outstanding. Doc can still do it. The Eureka Auditorium is great place to play or hear a concert. Over the past few years I've had the opportunity to see Sam Bush, Allison Krause, Willie Nelson, Rhonda Vincent, and even Ray Charles, among others. Eureka Rocks! For Folk festival coming up, we'll get to see the Smothers Brothers and Arlo Guthrie.

Marty is one of the finest players I've ever heard even tho' he is the king of the Mullet hairstyle. I think he's had the longest running mullet in history...
    Philip Halcomb

Super mullet costume wig:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	super_mullet_costume_wig.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	18091  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Ha!
    Philip Halcomb

Quote Originally Posted by (superc_1 @ Aug. 29 2006, 12:12)
    Has Sam already played in ozark? If not when is the date. Lets see I could tell my wife we are going eat at here favorite place at Altus (2 miles away from Ozark) then just happen to throw in a bluegrass show on the side. That would be a good one to see. I'm glad to see a few folks on this forum from around here. It's hard to believe but I have a hard time finding people interested in bluegrass around Russellville, Ar. Marty was telling a story how Ar. is special to him; because, when he first started with Lester at 13 yrs. he was not able to go home right at first cause they went straight out on the road for 6 wks and when they was pulling into Hebersprings, Ar. to do a show his mom, dad, and sister had drove from Mississippi to see him with Lester and when your 13 and mom, dad , and sister show-up #its the best sight in the world for a 13 yr. old kid.
    I was at that show. First blue grass show I ever saw. Mack Wiseman was with them.

Hey Arkies!

I'm from Little Rock (just moved to Benton) and I am a newbie mando player. Originaly had a sigma A-Model and I gave that away. Then I recently bought a Johnson Savanah, but not thrilled with it. I'm testing out a Fender FM-62SE.

Love Marty Stuart -- sorry I missed that. He's a legend.

Saw teenage Marty Stuart ages ago, when he played with Lester Flatt. They shared a concert with Del McCoury and the Dixie Pals (Del doesn't call his band that any more), and Donnie Eldreth was playing mandolin with McCoury (Ronnie McC. was probably still in elementary school). Stuart and Eldreth did some great mandolin duets. By the way, what ever became of Donnie Eldreth?
    Amazing, some of the people on that stage: Bennie Martin, Curly Seckler, Kenny Ingram, Charlie Nixon, Bill Poffinberger as I remember. And Lester definitely on his last legs. Kinda "puts the years on me," as they say...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by (allenhopkins @ Oct. 18 2006, 12:40)
    Saw teenage Marty Stuart ages ago, when he played with Lester Flatt.
    At the risk of dating you, I have a live album by Lester Flatt which features the then 15-year old Marty Stuart.

It was recorded in 1973!

Some very hot pickin', even way back then.
    Cheers,

Mike