Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hutto mandolin

yesterday i was getting my mandolin lesson and my teacher was getting ready to puts some frets on a hutto mandolin. this thing looked like 50 miles of bad road- half the finish worn off, a little dirt and dust, but it played and sounded absolutely stunning. it was the first i had seen or heard of these, and i was completely blown away. will told me the guy that built it had passed away not long ago so i know there are none being made now, but i'm hooked. is there anywhere to find out more about these mandolins. will said at one time he was a very well know luthier, but i have never really heard talk of his mandolins on here. are they just that good that noone will part with them or were there not that many made?
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

Johnny Hutto was one of the pioneers of building F5 replicas, back when Gibson was off doing whatever it was they were doing in those days. A lot of prominent player have owned and played Hutto mandolins through the years. They've been discussed on this board before, but not lately, that I remember.

Just hold tight. Lots of information will be coming in soon.

I jammed with a guy a month or so ago who played a Hutto. It was really nice. Fit and finish were a little lacking but it sounded great. He mentioned having it custom built only a few years ago.

Most notably, Dempsey Young of Lost and Found has been playing a Hutto for around 30 years. Sounds like a great mandolin. Hutto was one of the big builders of the 70ies and 80ies and has a reputation for great sounding mandolins who was focused on sound and not so much on cosmetics. I think Jack Tottle also owns/owned one. They are rare to find though. In 6 or seven years, I only recall seeing two for sale. He used to have a very plain website, but I don´t know if it is still working.
    Who am I and if yes, how many?

For the record, although I'm sure most of you zealots out there have already done this, I chased a few links (and that's all there WERE is a "few") for "Hutto Mandolins" and I found no direct info for the company or product.
    -Soupy1957
    P.S. I'm not personally adverse to whatever name is on the Tuning Head or on a label in the body, as long as the sound and functionality is there.
    Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

Dempey told me once he was offered 40k for his Hutto. Might have been on April Fool's Day, can't recall.

John Hutto made around 180 mandolins during his lifetime. Every one that I have ever played or heard was fantastic. I own #52. I will never sell it. I could never replace it with a better sounding instrument. My kids will get it after I'm gone.

where was he based out of?
    Wes

Johnny Hutto moved several times. Mostly, he lived in Georgia, but most recently, I think, Tennessee.

Mr. Hutto died about a year or two ago. I've played two, both very good mandolins...I don't put much into looks, so I don't remember that aspect of them. Last one I saw for sale on the cafe was for about $8 or $10k, but that was right after his death.

Darrell Webb (Lonesome River Band and now Wildfire) and Josh Williams (Special Consensus and now The Rage) play/played Huttos. Great sounding instruments. I've seen another player or two with them but I caint recall who.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

it was Darrell's mando, i couldn't think of his name, thanks. all it had was hutto inlayed on the headstock and half the finish wore off on the treble side (ala Hoss)

Wes

I believe Scott Napier of the Folkboy Orchestra and formerly with Larry Sparks plays a Hutto. I've heard him play it and it's an awesome sounding instrument as well.

John made some mandolins early on with The Gibson on the headstock. Not sure of how many, I have played one. Mandolin player for East Virginia plays a Hutto. I've never heard one that didn't sound exceptionally clear and bell like to my ear.

the bottom end on this one was excellent, and the trebles were just as good, bell like not tinny or thin at all. it just had a real tight tone, and it would get up and bark. do most of his mando's have that deeper or darker kind of tone? like i said the bass on the thing is what really got me
    Wes

Scott's not playing with Larry Sparks anymore? He was with him at Bean Blossom in June, or was that last year?
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

Just wanted to respond. I am the owner of a July '76 Hutto, (Heritage and "fern" in the headstock) and have played it for 30 years in the band East Virginia.
    Outside of frets and tuners, no adjustments were necessary.
    Many have played/owned Huttos in Bluegrass Music, Dempsey Young (as mentioned) along with (I think) Jesse McReynolds, I first heard one being played by Gene Burroughs when he worked with the Shanendoah Cut-Ups back in the mid 70s.
    Mr Hutto informed me that he found the wood for mine in a barn in Roanoke Va. it had been "curing" for about 50 years when he built my mandolin, according to Mr Hutto.
    He was a gentleman of the first order.
    Butch Smith

I have a friend with a three point Hutto F45. It's an extra point along the top side before reaching the scroll. Kind of a rare old Gibson style, I guess. It has a flat fretboard, with a rather narrow nut, sweet tone. Sort of like a Heiden I played once. Not a very loud instrument though.

david blair

thanks for the responses guys, my mando teacher had that hutto hat my lesson last week and it was amazing again. the more i play the mandolin the more i notice different qualities, and this one is strong all over, it sounded even better this time because i was sitting about 5 feet in front of it listening to will parsons jam out a monroe-style break, what it's built for (it is the guy from wildfire's - will has it for a little bit).

i noticed a few hutto's for sale recently and notice they are going for 10K und a little more! there definatley must be something to them! i guess my dream of owning one might be a really long time coming .anyway if you have any more on the hutto or any pics please feel free to chime in.
    Wes

Georgetown Indiana, Across the creek from Louisville KY.

I just got to play one last night. I was in Gatlinburg TN. and while waiting to eat Pizza at my favorite Italian Resturaunt there was a BG band playing outside. When they took a break I was talking to the mando player, who by the way is quite good, and he handed me his mando and it was a Hutto, 1990 or 91 vintage. Sounded and played wonderful. This mando had been well played and as I recall it seems the scroll had a little more depth to it than is typical but it was a real nice instrument. He stated that he thought they were selling for around 10k but said he would never part with it. By the way, the pizza was great. They play every friday and sat night in front of that resturuant weather permitting. Stop by and give them a listen if you happen to be in Gatlinburg.
    Poe#5, Neely#72, Kentucky KM 150 (The Bagram Beater)
    http://WWW.myspace.com/easternskybluegrass
    http://www.myspace.com/darrintissandier

A friend of mine bought one last year at a guitar show (after I had seen the guy with it) for $800. It was a replica of a Gibson Loar, down to the signed label (would not have fooled very many folks, but nice). When he got it home he looked at the top with a mirror and it was signed Hutto!

I'd say a pretty good purchase!
    Linksmaker

Also-John Skehan, the mandolinist with the band "Railroad Earth" plays a blond Hutto F-5.
    david blair

I just got #62 this weekend and this thing is incredible. I want to know more about this builder that recently passed away.
    To the woodshed!

Quote Originally Posted by (earthsave @ Aug. 26 2006, 18:44)
    Scott's not playing with Larry Sparks anymore? He was with him at Bean Blossom in June, or was that last year?
    Scott has been replacing Dempsey with the Lost and Found and playing with Marty Raybon.
    Join me Thursdays from 10am - 12pm eastern as I host "The Bluegrass Beat" at www.worldwidebluegrass.com.

Quote Originally Posted by (brady712 @ Oct. 07 2007, 23:25)
    Quote Originally Posted by (earthsave @ Aug. 26 2006, 18:44)
    Scott's not playing with Larry Sparks anymore? #He was with him at Bean Blossom in June, or was that last year?
    Scott has been replacing Dempsey with the Lost and Found and playing with Marty Raybon.
    Yes, Scott has filled in for L&F on occasion (Dempsey can never be 'replaced'). Also, Shayne Bartley has filled in.