Thread: Sam Bush Take on Sally Goodin

Has anyone tried his method of anchoring your little finger on the seventh fret of the 3rd string to make a fiddle like sustain?

Iv'e been working on it, but it's not easy, well for me anyway. #I love the sound he gets out of it though.

Joe Carr tabbed out the same gig (anchor pinky on 7th fret D string) and play the melody on the A string with fingers 1 and 2. It will make a man out of you

Blog Entries

That is the cornerstone of Monroe/Compton style mandolin playing, which is completely derived from fiddle playing. It's initially hard, but after your pinky gets some strength, it'll become very natural.

Jim

Monroe recorded this (forget the record) and does odd things with it, like repeat parts sometimes, leave out parts sometimes. To have been part of the rhythm section on that (and other tunes), you had to really listen to where he was in the tune and where he was going, cause it would change on a dime. He also did this C natural freak-out towards the end of the break that would make you sit up straight!

Btw, if anybody wants that break, post an email addy.

Roland White does that alot also. For example Rag Time Annie one would want to anchor pinky of 7th fret of "G" string. My pinky curves in and I kinda loose this reach but I keep trying it.

Can someone explain this a little more? Are you keeping the pinky there to hit it every now and then?
    Where does Sam Bush talk about this? In the Monroe dvd?
    Also is the Carr tab available somewhere?
    Sam

Sam,

Though I don't completely understand it myself quite yet, the pinky stays on that 7th fret and it's hit along with the notes you play on the second string. In the tablature that came with this set, it shows it being hit every other note or so, but it sure looks like Sam keeps on hitting it. It gives it a really neat "fiddle" type twist not to mention making it sound alot fuller.

by the way, Sam explains this on "The Sam Bush Mandolin Method"

As long as you're playing on the A string you can also hit the D string but fretted at the seventh fret (with your pinkie) for an A note drone. (If you're moving up to the E string or down to the G string you'll lift your pinkie and play as normal.)

It may show in the tablature that you only hit the drone on the downstrokes but hold it down all the time. It's easier to hit it on the downstrokes but also possible to hit it on the upstrokes. Loosen your wrist and pick grip

Yeah, Ive just been glueing that finger there the whole time Im on the A string and I hit it with every stroke be it up or down. #The method sounds easy but this will be a bear to master

..its like a droning effect..you get the sound of the A note on the D string while you can play the melody on the A and E strings. Its actually the correct way to play it on the fiddle..so Sam just transposed the technique to the mando.

I learned it from the 2nd Homespun Bill Monroe dvd w/ Sam and Ralph Rinzler. It's a great version, imo.

I've been working on this for a long time and can do it fine at home on the couch at almost full speed. On stage at full speed my pinky does not listen to me.
    Clyde Clevenger
    Salem, Oregon
    www.myspace.com/oldcircle
    Just my opinion, but it's right.